Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

dee eight posted:

watches are handcuffs that chain you to schedules and routine and "being on time"

i'll never wear a watch

I found this compromise acceptable.

Impossible to tell time more accurately than around plus or minus 10 minutes.
I think it's unhealthy to worry about time more accurately than that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Worf posted:

its cool that in your life, nobody gives a poo poo if you arrive to anything 10 minutes after it has started

be self employed,
live like a hermit
=
all interaction on your terms

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
the fact that you fret about this time thing only proves my point.

I couldn't convince you that you're wrong about it and that timeliness is a vice,
any more than one of those urbanist youtubers yelling about stroads
could change the minds of typical carbrained americans who actually love
their stroads and suburban cul-de-sacs far removed from any chance at salvation.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Worf posted:

Yeah youve never had a job and I suspect your argf blarg pferfle strawman kabllooie

Of course I had a job, I've been slaving my whole life (and by the way never taken a handout from anyone.) How other than working for corpo shits and fretting about time do you think I arrived at this enlightened state. I only wish I had figured it out earlier.

It's all good just let it slide man.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

HUD for phone like functions is gonna be the game changers. Not sure how you get there yet - glasses? Contacts? Holograms? Brainchip?

Shared display surfaces that can be momentarily taken over by anyone glancing in that direction.
A variation on the lenticular 3DS displays that works for 1, maybe 2 at most users at any one time and through some kind of light twisting LCD trick can direct light from individual pixel columns in selective directions. Everybody outside of that narrow line of sight just sees a blank screen.

Johnny Lee demo'ed 17 years ago a very convincing pseudo3D VR display done with a wiimote tracking the "sensor bar" IR LEDs as a proxy for your perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

I think this idea could re-surface. As with Lee's setup, the tracking could be done with sensors mainly on the display where there'd be room to fit good quality optics for face tracking and determining exactly what your identity and POV is. The hardware is cheap and so it will be used for super annoying and privacy invasive ads in public spaces where 3D illusions directed at you personally will show AI bullshit ads based on what the data brokers know about you, which is everything.

But at home and in controlled environments you could have the same tech create neat popup displays for notifications without you wearing any hardware at all.

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 12, 2024

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It would probably be better for walking than driving, but it would be nice to have the path highlighted or even just arrows. Basically video game GPS in real life. It would be great in an unfamiliar city.You can use a phone, but walking around with it out or constantly stopping to take it out kind of suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

no. never. stop it.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
again with the making people wait for you strawman.

You can allow yourself in your daily routine to be liberated from the concept of timeliness without "imposing" anything on anybody else.

What are these "meetings" of which you speak? From past experience in the horologically enslaved world under Corpo I know that there are types of work setups that only function with synchronized facetime and meetings all the time. So I don't institute such work setups in my small but successful organization.

Everybody you interact with can in principle just share their thoughts asynchronously via emails or in a slack channel or whatever. Raise issues through there. Only if exceptions arise of immense importance threatening to bring down the show do you need to ever hit the call button which is an imposition, a demand for your attention, disrupting whatever you're presently doing. The assumption is that it must be pretty urgent and it's the yellow button next to the nuclear option.

But even for those rare situations our rule is to only let the call chime ring for a few seconds. Enough so that if you're within earshot you know someone wants a realtime conversation and the assumption is that it must be pretty urgent. So I respond to that within a few minutes usually. Take a piss first or get a coffee from the machine and check my appearance before I sit down ready to be on voice and/or camera. The other party wants my attention, and now I'm comfortable and focused and ready to have that conversation. Go.

I suspect that most work-from-home orgs could adopt these principles if they wanted to. Obviously not applicable for a worksite with lots of realtime orchestration and micro-coordination. And that's not the kind of work that I do or care to be involved with.

But to answer the question you keep bringing up, of course I show up on time if we have agreed on a meeting. My phone has a google calendar chime thing. I do know what a schedule is and if I have to take like a flight or something of course I can't expect them to wait for me. But this happens so rarely, like a few times a month, so that I can mentally switch, temporarily, from our civilized and gentle "island time" to the barbary which is the "city time" world of the horologically enslaved, emissaries from which we mustn't disappoint by letting them waste precious expensive seconds of their so-efficiently packed schedules.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Worf posted:

The vast majority of meetings that I take are with the CFO and CEO, or sometimes VP or president, depending on the company layout, externally.

all right Gordon Gecko you're very cool I like your watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Embrace it. It's truly you. Much cooler way to look at it than heart attack from stress as your pitiful epitaph.