Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The best thing about being single is knowing the door will never be opened to a stranger

The day I came home from work and discovered a Kirby salesman mid-pitch was not a good day

Though my ex- did immediately tell the guy "you probably shouldn't talk to him" when he started telling me about the glories of Kirby vacuums as I stared at him with cosmic malignance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
The shittiest ploy is when the Kirby guys give you a pen to hold while they go and get their lovely vacuum I threw the pen at the guy as he was walking away hit him in the back of the head and shut the door

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i just hang out on the street corner selling my customer mixed CDs from of the best hits

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I love my door bell camera thing

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I have a bad tendency to flip my wig on Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm a pretty mellow person, but I tend to flip my wig if they show up at my door. I think its their persistence (and the fact they are trespassing on a private road, driveway, and home). Fuckers are persistent in a "Lets just sit down and talk" way. I offer them to leave and never come back, or a stick, or a shotgun. Pick one.

I'm totally not like that with anyone else. Those fuckers kept coming back year after year, and I'm talking 10+ years, til the point I called their regional church and asked to be put on a "Do Not Visit" list. They didn't have one. I told them to start one, cause the next JW that shows up is likely to get shot. And yeah, they were physically trying to enter my home.

Again, I'm a super mild person, but those guys just push my buttons.

Also, I know a neighbor and previous co-worker that are JH, wonderful people to be honest. Just don't come knocking at my door. If I need a god I'm pretty sure I can pick one.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

i just hang out on the street corner selling my customer mixed CDs from of the best hits

hell yeah. Hand em out like their free then intimidate people into giving you $15

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is it just me or is anyone coming to your door in a big apartment building an automatic no (look through the peep glass, quietly...)?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Is it just me or is anyone coming to your door in a big apartment building an automatic no (look through the peep glass, quietly...)?

does your building not have a lock on the door?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

does your building not have a lock on the door?

There would be a locked shared front door, and then another locked door for your apartment.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

There would be a locked shared front door, and then another locked door for your apartment.

so who lets them in?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Dr. Quarex posted:

The best thing about being single is knowing the door will never be opened to a stranger

The day I came home from work and discovered a Kirby salesman mid-pitch was not a good day

Though my ex- did immediately tell the guy "you probably shouldn't talk to him" when he started telling me about the glories of Kirby vacuums as I stared at him with cosmic malignance

I got roped into buying a Kirby vacuum when I was 18 years old on a payment plan. I had no money and didn't pay any of the payments beyond the first two. The guy who ran the operation called me and asked for the vacuum back and I gave it back to him. It was an ok vacuum but using conical filters had the disadvantages of both bag filters and filterless designs.

That said, I have a mild conspiracy theory of sorts. Kirby was a popular brand of vacuums in Japan in the 60's and 70's and I always assumed that Kirby of Nintendo fame was named after the vacuum cleaner but they claim it's named after a lawyer. I think they're lying. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I had a solar salesman tell me "you can lead a horse to water, but sometimes they drown" while walking away after I argued with them that I didn't want solar panels.

I almost yelled back that would imply that I somehow would buy TOO MANY solar panels but I didn't want him to come back and argue some more. I'm just going to tell people I rent from now on, it has been relentless here.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I'll buy stuff from scouts because I used to be a scout and it's not constant, maybe a few times a year. But the best thing to do is do my whole "oh I am a bewildered foreigner, I no speak your language too good!" act and they usually leave me alone.

I think the stupidest service I ever got pitched was that this company would come round and spray out my garbage can after the truck came round to pick up the trash. Someone must have fallen for it though, I see the van for that every now and again spraying the garbage cans out.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
I thought they were extinct, nooner

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
I spent 10 years living in a high rise building where nobody could get in. After I bought a house I was highly annoyed at all these random people ringing my doorbell, especially while I am napping.

The best way to dismiss them is to cut them off and ask them who they work for. If they do not tell you or you don't like the answer just calmly and firmly say "thanks but I am not interested". You might have to say it twice.

I thought about putting up a no soliciting sign, which are legally enforceable in my area.

I had a baby late last year. I hung a sign on the front door that says "shhh, baby sleeping. Please do not knock or ring the bell". I have not had a SINGLE solicitor since then! I plan on leaving this sign up forever.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

I got one guy selling home security to carry my groceries once. Then when he tried his sales pitch i told him I didn't own the place. He left.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

I got one guy selling home security to carry my groceries once. Then when he tried his sales pitch i told him I didn't own the place. He left.

Ha ha!

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Internetjack posted:

I have a bad tendency to flip my wig on Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm a pretty mellow person, but I tend to flip my wig if they show up at my door. I think its their persistence (and the fact they are trespassing on a private road, driveway, and home). Fuckers are persistent in a "Lets just sit down and talk" way. I offer them to leave and never come back, or a stick, or a shotgun. Pick one.

I'm totally not like that with anyone else. Those fuckers kept coming back year after year, and I'm talking 10+ years, til the point I called their regional church and asked to be put on a "Do Not Visit" list. They didn't have one. I told them to start one, cause the next JW that shows up is likely to get shot. And yeah, they were physically trying to enter my home.

Again, I'm a super mild person, but those guys just push my buttons.

Also, I know a neighbor and previous co-worker that are JH, wonderful people to be honest. Just don't come knocking at my door. If I need a god I'm pretty sure I can pick one.

I was stoked when Jehovah's witnesses visited because I have a Bible earmarked with fun passages and the two people I met were pretty young and I almost talk to them out of their religion they must have gone back and told them about me because they never visited since and I lived right down the street from their church so we would see them around the neighborhood constantly.

Turns out Jehovah's witnesses really don't read the Bible who would have thunk?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beefed Owl posted:

I was stoked when Jehovah's witnesses visited because I have a Bible earmarked with fun passages and the two people I met were pretty young and I almost talk to them out of their religion they must have gone back and told them about me because they never visited since and I lived right down the street from their church so we would see them around the neighborhood constantly.

Turns out Jehovah's witnesses really don't read the Bible who would have thunk?

Have you actually read this thing? Apprently we're not allowed to go to the bathroom.

- The Reverend Lovejoy

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Beefed Owl posted:

The shittiest ploy is when the Kirby guys give you a pen to hold while they go and get their lovely vacuum I threw the pen at the guy as he was walking away hit him in the back of the head and shut the door

I hate all the transparent "tricks" sales people use. It pretty much ensures there is no way I'm buying anything from you. The worst are the people who use them when they're not even selling something.

"I'm sure you think whatever I'm going to tell you because I know you're smart even though I just met you"

Yeah there is pretty much no reason to ever try talking to me after you do that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I once got suckered by one of those mall caravan shops, you know, the ones in the hallways.

Much to my shame but hey, no one was really hurt and it's just good proof I can be a dumbass.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I once got suckered by one of those mall caravan shops, you know, the ones in the hallways.

Much to my shame but hey, no one was really hurt and it's just good proof I can be a dumbass.

never need proof that you could be a dumbass

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

sporkstand posted:

Just shoot 'em this is america after all so that's what I do

Reported

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
No one ever tries to sell me anything. I'm so loving lonely

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

STABASS posted:

No one ever tries to sell me anything. I'm so loving lonely

I have a bridge in Brooklyn if you're interested

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

youd better not ever step foot on my property

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I used to get a lot of random mormon boys and ladies with bibles knocking on my door until I put a pentagram on it. Haven't had a stray knock since.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sometimes this sweaty nervous guy tries to sell me wholesale meat out of an idling white van.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Because it works on old people

not on me

just yesterday some kid knocked and started "hi, i'm with..."
i cut her off and said, "i don't want commercials at my front door. go away"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd like to see that vacuum man come all the way down here...

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Extra Large Marge posted:

Sometimes this sweaty nervous guy tries to sell me wholesale meat out of an idling white van.

well what are the prices like

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

well what are the prices like

this is an important question

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

dee eight posted:

not on me

just yesterday some kid knocked and started "hi, i'm with..."
i cut her off and said, "i don't want commercials at my front door. go away"

shouldnt you have offered them a candy or an ensure

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i'd offer them the back of my hand if they don't skedaddle

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bro my boss is gonna kill me

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's the most honorable profession that exists. People used to respect it back when there was honor in the world. But we live in a dishonorable world now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Sometimes there will be a meat sale in my neighborhood and there will be just a large cargo truck that has a freezer on the back and some guy will be selling meat out of it.

I guess that's something that just happens in every city?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

It was only that one time! Stop bringing it up

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Sometimes there will be a meat sale in my neighborhood and there will be just a large cargo truck that has a freezer on the back and some guy will be selling meat out of it.

I guess that's something that just happens in every city?

MEEEEAT for SAAAAAALE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's the most honorable profession that exists. People used to respect it back when there was honor in the world. But we live in a dishonorable world now.

Kids these days smdh