Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I can tell by the "this must be the place" neon sign that this bar loving pwns

I had such a good time seeing the re-release of stop making sense and am grateful that I haven't ran into poo poo like this in my country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
frank and hanks in los angeles (dive bar) had a tall can of pbr and a shot of well bourbon for $3 until roni i think. that bar sucks rear end. but it had good deals

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

All craft beers here. The selections are written on black chalkboards with colored chalk by the bartenders who also add graphics and artistic touches. It's kind of dark so it's difficult to read the purple and green chalk scrawls. 70% of the choices are IPA so it doesn't matter too much. 12oz pours for anything over 8% abv. 7$ to $11 a glass. The bartender might be wearing a bowtie, bowler derby, or styled mustache. Bring your kids and dogs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

palindrome posted:

All craft beers here. The selections are written on black chalkboards with colored chalk by the bartenders who also add graphics and artistic touches. It's kind of dark so it's difficult to read the purple and green chalk scrawls. 70% of the choices are IPA so it doesn't matter too much. 12oz pours for anything over 8% abv. 7$ to $11 a glass. The bartender might be wearing a bowtie, bowler derby, or styled mustache. Bring your kids and dogs.
anyone else notice the postal system is broken?? i think we received a post from 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i miss the late obama 'hipster' era

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

you can still visit, it hasnt really gone away. Now excuse me, they're putting on daily show with John stewart

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

palindrome posted:

I went to a taproom to refill a growler yesterday and every single one of these things applied lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

palindrome posted:

all the kids running around bars here is weird as hell lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The bars in ft lauderdale are a sight to see right now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lib and let die posted:

The bars in ft lauderdale are a sight to see right now
it's not yet spring break is it?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://x.com/KrangTNelson/status/1766570086024835199?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

yeah the northern schools go a little earlier. my dad's on south padre and I can't visit the whole month of march

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Heh, spoken like a guy who doesn't know the password

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol I have gone to a place like this exactly one time it was in the back of a fancy dessert restaurant and they served us drinks in tiki cups while Postmodern Jukebox played over the speakers. Bartender wore a fedora. Hell on earth.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the speakeasy fad was such a great way to bilk millennials into paying $25 for a lovely cocktail consisting of pineapple juice and bottom shelf liquor. with a pineapple slice. brilliant idea. respect to the bar owners.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

the speakeasy fad was such a great way to bilk millennials into paying $25 for a lovely cocktail consisting of pineapple juice and bottom shelf liquor. with a pineapple slice. brilliant idea. respect to the bar owners.

it was great, my friend was obsessed with blowing money at those spots. it's the alcohol version of those Man Boxes that come with a compass and hatchet for $59/month

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Xaris posted:

It's always spring break here

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

Lol I have gone to a place like this exactly one time it was in the back of a fancy dessert restaurant and they served us drinks in tiki cups while Postmodern Jukebox played over the speakers. Bartender wore a fedora. Hell on earth.

i have also been to a place like this. agony. i dont even like cocktails that much (wine guy)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

markup on wine is about as bad as liquor now. i feel like 'house' wines have disappeared from menus too; often the cheapest thing is a $9 glass of something called like Bakersfield Delight

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i found a cali champagne for 70% off at target last week called Black Girl Magic, $4.49 after tax. wasn't bad

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

markup on wine is about as bad as liquor now. i feel like 'house' wines have disappeared from menus too; often the cheapest thing is a $9 glass of something called like Bakersfield Delight

Wine has always been the worst. Sellers get enormous margins on wine compared to other alcohol, ballpark of like 40% versus 10% for beer.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i went to a restaurant a few weeks ago that had a bottle of robert mondavi pinot noir on the wine list for $50. the price for that same bottle, at my grocery store, is $8.73 lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

paying a $15 corkage fee to bring a bottle of Barefoot to the New American restaurant

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Xaris posted:

i miss the late obama 'hipster' era

I'm going to bring back complaining about music being too angsty

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

i went to a restaurant a few weeks ago that had a bottle of robert mondavi pinot noir on the wine list for $50. the price for that same bottle, at my grocery store, is $8.73 lol

i too have been to an olive garden.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RadiRoot posted:

lol i checked my closest location and mondavi is in fact the most expensive wine on the menu but it's a thrifty $29

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

Robert Davi wine lol

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

RadiRoot posted:

never-ending pasta bowl ftmfw

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

cocktails are the way to go at nicer american restaurants because they always do extremely heavy pours

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
as far as pretentious bars go mcsorleys used to be my favorite place in the city. used to be a cheap place to get beer drunk because youd order like 4 pints at a time. theyd sell you a big block of onions and cheese with saltines crackers. sawdust on the floor but the whole place smells like centuries of piss and vomit. eventually people got wise and it turned into another expensive tourist spot

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al! posted:

as far as pretentious bars go mcsorleys used to be my favorite place in the city. used to be a cheap place to get beer drunk because youd order like 4 pints at a time. theyd sell you a big block of onions and cheese with saltines crackers. sawdust on the floor but the whole place smells like centuries of piss and vomit. eventually people got wise and it turned into another expensive tourist spot

mcsorely's kicked rear end. i enjoyed getting like 16 tiny beers for a table and of course the sleeve of saltines. haven't been to nyc for 6 or seven years though, i bet the tiny beers cost $5 a piece now
and they had all the wwi turkey wishbones too

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Hatebag posted:

mcsorely's kicked rear end. i enjoyed getting like 16 tiny beers for a table and of course the sleeve of saltines. haven't been to nyc for 6 or seven years though, i bet the tiny beers cost $5 a piece now
and they had all the wwi turkey wishbones too

looks like they have a website and a kitchen now. the beers are 8 bux. the place is (ironically) cooked

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al! posted:

looks like they have a website and a kitchen now. the beers are 8 bux. the place is (ironically) cooked

hm well that's effectively $4/tiny beer as they pour you two per order so not as bad as my estimate. very disturbing that they make cheeseburgers and so forth now, though

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Bet they started serving food to open during the COVID Lockdowns

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I remember a dive bar in San Diego where they ran a can of PBR and a shot of bourbon for $3 deal once a week... probably circa 2010

Same area I remember once there was a huge power outage that lasted for several hours and people started gathering out in the streets, just walking around and talking. Some gyros place was still running their machines with gas power and taking cash... everyone lined up... felt like it would last forever, and then suddenly it was over

San Diego had this cool bar called Cheers that served bigass mugs of house beer called Cheers Beer for $5. Hope they're still around.

There was also Cherry Bomb, the cash only spot with the strongest pours I've ever had, talking 5oz of gin with a splash of tonic for a few bucks. Had good poo poo on the jukebox like Gorguts. Sometimes Comic Con people would wonder in wearing stormtrooper costumes or whatever and always leave after 20 min or so.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
in my hosed up rust belt state the liquor laws are ancient and you have to serve food to serve on premise alcohol, so all the best bars have powdered milk, water optional and canned soup on the menu for $25 so they dont get shut down

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

those laws are dumb because they discourage the tamale vendors who like to hit all the bars between 1 and 2 am to feed all the hungry drunks

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

in my hosed up rust belt state the liquor laws are ancient and you have to serve food to serve on premise alcohol, so all the best bars have powdered milk, water optional and canned soup on the menu for $25 so they dont get shut down

Oregon has that same law. Most really divey places will have a fryer and offer deep fried poo poo but there are definitely spots out there that try to skirt it with microwave frozen burritos for $10. Ive heard from people I know in the industry that OLCC actually enforces it sometimes though, if they get a complaint or whatever

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

making your way in the world today
takes everything ya got
taking a break from all your worries
sure would help a lot
wouldn't you like to get away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
cheers but its a gay bar