Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Koos Group posted:

I've been considering this for some time. I do think it's a worthy topic to have in D&D. The issue is that, because it has potential to inform moderation policy, it can become very high stakes or lead to perceptions of mod favoritism. There is also an enormous amount of baggage and grudges around it involving some users.

I wouldn't describe the schism around media literacy/criticism so much as "baggage and grudges", but rather a sincere disagreement over what media literacy/criticism consists of. There seems to be roughly two major schools of thought in DnD, one which focuses on the vetting of sources, and another which places less emphasis on the source and instead focuses on a close read of the content.

Sorry to single DV out here, but they're probably the most vocal and coherent exponent of the "vetting the source" school of thought. For example, I was brought to task for posting a video from an Iranian state media aligned account which posted a video of the Houthi Prime Minister:

Discendo Vox posted:

Once again, I am begging you to consider where you are getting your information from. Like when you see a tweet like that, or an account like that, why doesn't it give you pause about your sources of infromation, let alone before you repost it uncritically here?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I'm not posting this to decry the position that DV and a lot of other posters here follow, but just to illustrate that a schism does exist, and if a media literacy/criticism thread is created it should be created with the expectation that the majority of debate is going to be centered around this schism, and that debate has the potential to get pretty acrimonious at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
nevermind

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kith posted:

Since D&D has a large amount of articles being posted as a matter of course - either to focus discussion on their contents or to be used to back up a claim - I think it would be useful to add novamute's "Posts With Links Only" bookmarklet to the D&D Rules thread so it can be conveniently found and its proper use explained (specifically that it's a tool of convenience in aiding thread navigation, not a method to find The Most Important Posts). I personally can attest to it making threads focused on heavy subjects (such as armed conflicts or mass death) significantly more digestible.

(the actual code has been removed because SA gets fussy when I try to include it, but it can be found in the original quoted post)

Oh, that's a neat idea, thanks for posting it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Staluigi posted:

Everything's mostly business as usual but Isreal v Palestine remains an absolutely cursed subject and will go deranged for entire pages

Reinstate martial law and make lengthy threadbans a common feature

OK, why?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Out of curiosity about the reports system, when a post gets reported hitting the report button again brings up the this post has been reported dialogue. Is that on a timer or something, or is it just one report per post?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Goatse James Bond posted:

It's just one report per post, and while one of the very few topics that will make me scream inchoately into the void until my throat gives out is the design of the reports subforum (and oh yes, my friends, it is a subforum), abolishing that restriction would kill every last one of us.

brb, writing a ticket for astral

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Raenir Salazar posted:

it takes days, if not over a week, for there to be any action, and consequently allows for multiple pages for it to occur.

i think that might be due to how long it takes to read your posts, or just skim by them and ignore them because they're too long, have you ever thought about offering a thesis and then defending it below?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Raenir Salazar posted:

Bold of you to assume I'm only talking about conversations I'm actively participating in; and not like, just generally catching up on a thread and seeing jibba-jabba going on for multiple pages, hitting the report button, seeing its already reported, and as I catch up to the current page notice that we're now days later with nothing done and the derail or whatever still ongoing. But you knew that.

It's not bold, because I'm specifically talking about you, and yes I did already know that. You're a lovely writer, but you are good at collating facts. Hence my request to offer a thesis and defend it below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Raenir Salazar posted:

Koos can you chime in if these sorts of posts are desirable for the feedback thread?

Saying you're a terrible writer is like saying the sun comes up in the morning, so if Koos wants to hit me for that go nuts.