Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I tried but I legit couldn't read the words. I'm going old blind I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Keeps bringing the book closer and further away, in a slightly comedic fashion...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sitting at the bar waving around a copy of J Kerouac's D Bums

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Most of my work in college was done at a bar

The effect of working in a bar on a college student - the study

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Spinz posted:

I used to read in the coke room downstairs at my evil dealer boyfriend's nightclub all the time

In Fall and Winter, I presume

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"On the Communist Dialectic by Heinz Friedrich "

Yeah Barney, set me up with another row

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean it can be pretty dim in bars.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pasketti posted:

Not at an ACTUAL bar, but I think about 3 times in the past few years I've brought a manga or comic to read at the bar seating section of a restaurant. My husband takes over an hour to eat his drat salad at brunch so I need some reading material.

Like some nibbling deer you lead off to pasture?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Have you seen how thick Cosmo is these days?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

nothing finer than having a pint at the pub while you read Joyce and have a polite stroke.

So civilized

*packs tobacco pipe

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Man, one thing I don't miss about the more literate past is newspapers. So big, so loud, so messy. On the subway they're probably 80% of the trash.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wendigee posted:

I liked reading news papers when lived with my parents growing up but I'm not going to pay to receive it these days especially when I half of it or more is stuff I would just toss in the trash.

I LOVE my local paper, but as a website. I pay for it. And I loved them as a newspaper back in the day, but in retrospect it was so loud. And messy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

People are used to paying for the news. There used to be these "news boxes" where you'd put in "Hard Currency" and it would open. You'd take out that day's "Newspaper". Which was created anew each day. And in the old days, several times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

baja gaijin posted:

I also used to subscribe to our local paper but after exchanging private equity hands a couple of times it's almost entirely reprints from NYT and AP so like why bother

I hear ya. It's happened all over. I'm lucky enough that our main paper is still independent.