Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno if this is much different from television in the 90s or 80s or 00's or whatever...

You know, stuff that's like "My wife was killed, her killer is still out there, one day I'll catch her." or "The apocalypse is coming, and we've got to be ready. Eventually." or "This is the story of how I met your mother. But not this season. Or next season. You gotta wait a bunch of seasons for the reveal."

IMO it's just denser now than it was before because television is just full of denser plotlines full stop.

This is true to an extent, but there are a few key differences in the era of modern streaming TV.

First, consider production costs: shows are more expensive to produce these days. That's one reason you see shorter seasons. Amazon is making a bet on this show, and they want to see how it performs before investing too much. With a shorter season and fewer set pieces to use, you aim for a dense story that requires all 8 episodes to tell. Those other mysteries can wrap-up later, once they know the show is a success.

There's also a lot of metrics that streaming services review that didn't exist back then. How many episodes did the household watch in a row? How quickly did they finish a season? Metrics like those can be massaged with how the episodes (and their mysteries) are structured. I'm still not entirely sure why Vault 4 refugees were stripping naked to worship their cult leader, but by putting a creepy reveal at the end of an episode, they probably had more people continue their binge sessions.

Some of the shows you mentioned have a central mystery as the driving force of the series. Fallout had different reasons for dripping out its plot. Hopefully Fallout isn't that dependent on a single storyline, because the world has plenty of good ones to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

I rewatched the show last week looking for some of the scenes that have raised questions, like Cooper and Maximus in Filly. The most reasonable explanation I have is that it just didn't seem like BoS curiosity got the better of him since whoever was driving this thing clearly wasn't trained, and there was no squire. Mechanically, I like the AP idea of him just being out of it. He did accurately kill several people before that.

But as usual, as said here, it's just tv writing. The real question is what did Maximus leg suddenly get trapped and then released from that board at such a convenient timing. That board really changed the story. All praise be to the board.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm constantly getting stuck in geometry in Bethesda games so that's just the show being more faithful to the material.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So Jonathan Nolan has a thing now of multiple storylines, often in different time periods, that climax together

I’m remembering that Stephen King’s It did this as well (at least in the book. The movies don’t)

Can anyone think of an earlier example of this

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 2, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not earlier but Dunkirk did the same thing and the first season of The Witcher made a messy attempt at it.

Or Cloud Atlas.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

I'm constantly getting stuck in geometry in Bethesda games so that's just the show being more faithful to the material.

Great point

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

So Jonathan Nolan has a thing now of multiple storylines, often in different time periods, that climax together

I’m remembering that Stephen King’s It did this as well (at least in the book. The movies don’t)

Can anyone think of an earlier example of this

I think this is quite a lot of shows tbh. Possibly most genre shows being made these days. The most recent season of Chucky, the most recent season of Resident Alien... they're all shows with multiple subplots that often only tangentially relate to each other and either converge or at least come to a climax around the same time because it's the end of the season.

Unless I'm misundertaanding you I reckon it'd be easier to name shows that didn't do this e.g. The Last Of Us

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters kind of did it too. Have to hand it to them though, Wyatt Russell playing the younger version of his father Kurt's character worked very well. (There was one particular match cut between the two of them that was just :discourse:.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Open Source Idiom posted:

Unless I'm misundertaanding you I reckon it'd be easier to name shows that didn't do this e.g. The Last Of Us

No you’re right

I guess I should narrow it to multiple plots that are in different time periods

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Hey now, you're making me want to rewatch Dark. Careful, I'm not sure I have the time.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Cooper just didn't want to take the karma hit of killing Maximus, when he can eliminate him from the fight with one melee hit to that hose.

Instead of having to pick up pieces of power armor up to his carry weight and turn them in one by one to a BoS exile to slowly bring his BoS karma back up to zero.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Just finished the season and it was pretty good overall. A lot of interesting characters to meet and lots of threads to pick up on. Maybe too many but who knows how long Amazon will keep funding the product.

I do have a similar complaints regarding the vaults in that Hank definitely knew or should have been aware that Vault 32 was a destroyed wreck. Why would he need to setup some elaborate marriage sham? It's not even like his wife could have had a change of heart and would come back to Vault 33; he nuked her lol. So why even open Vault 33 to 32 at all? Similarly who actually cleaned up Vault 32? The show definitely made it seem like it was cleaned up extremely quickly so who cleared it up?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

OGS-Remix posted:

The show definitely made it seem like it was cleaned up extremely quickly so who cleared it up?

Assuming they can get back into their pods, which seems to be the case, it might have been thawed out middle managers taking a temporary break from refridgeration

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I just thought it was Mr. Handys inside the walls.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been going back through the show and want to go back to a previous post of mine regarding the overseer's terminal being busted up in 32. When Norm and Chet are going through Vault 32, seeing all the carnage, the overseer's terminal is still working. That's how Norm finds out that the exterior door was opened by his mom's pipboy. It's only when everything has been cleaned up that the terminal is destroyed. This just leaves me with further questions. When everyone is going nuts, the overseer of 32 definitely could have contacted 31 or 33.

The only thing I can think of is that they got sick of "when things are glum, vote 31" and removed the overseer from 31 and voted in one of their own. So then the new overseer starts looking into things and finds out about the situation with 31, tells people, and then they all go nuts. What I can't wrap my head around is that no one else found out about this. Maybe they didn't contact 33 because they figured (correctly) that there was a 31 stooge installed there too, so there would be no way to get around him to contact someone else. And then it would have to be that Bud is so incompetent and aloof that he can't even tell when someone is trying to break down his door.

So I guess when Moldaver and her crew break into the vault, see everyone is dead, she goes through the overseer's terminal and then sees that there are these personnel exchanges. So then she contacts Vault 33 as the overseer to set up an exchange so she can get into Vault 33 and get Hank. But then there's the question of why the terminal is busted up when the vault is cleaned up. What's the point? If Steph is from 31, she knows the deal and would be able to handle knowing about what happened.

I know it's just a show and I should really just relax, but everything else about this show feels buttoned up and this feels not that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What was the stuff the snakeoil doctor injected the weaselly squire with that turned him into a ghoul?

Because, apart from eventually turning you into a mindless cannibal, that stuff seems pretty amazing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
There is really no reason to think Thaddeus is going to turn into a ghoul specifically, outside of Maximus’s saying so (which hardly strikes me as authoritative).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Good luck dealing with the "it was said in the show, it must be true" crowd.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What was the stuff the snakeoil doctor injected the weaselly squire with that turned him into a ghoul?

Because, apart from eventually turning you into a mindless cannibal, that stuff seems pretty amazing.

In New Vegas, Hydra will instantly heal a broken leg, instantly heal a hand that was holding an exploding stick of dynamite, and instantly heal a concussion after you've been hit in the head with a sledgehammer. One trick is to take a dose of Hydra, then quickly step in a bear trap fifty times in a row, and you'll gain a perk that makes your limbs more resistant to damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Fallout was my first CRPG back in 6th grade. I’m overall so pleased with this show. I can forgive a lot in exchange for how well they’ve captured the world of Fallout. It got me to grab the Modiphius ttrpg, something I haven’t collected or played in about three years.