Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I did a windows update, and that took a bit long to restart but after that computer worked fine. The update included that AI copilot app.

Next day boot up, task bar is dead, start wont work, no search options, and I cant move files or copy stuff. I have to restart using task manager.

In addition, all windows specific apps and windows dont work. I cant get control panel to open, windows update window just crashes. Im trying to do a system restore but I cant even open that window up.

Besides making a windows boot usb and using that, any other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
In normal mode (not safe mode)

Open command prompt as administrator, type:

netsh int ip reset
Press enter, wait for the prompt to come back. Type:

netsh winsock reset

Press enter

Type: shutdown /r /t 0

Press enter

If it's still lovely, do the same thing after running Disk Cleanup, malwarebytes, and then uninstalling any third party anti virus.

Post in thread if it worked or not

down1nit fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 10, 2024

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I may have messed this up, I tried something before reading your post.

I figured out how to restart to safe mode via sign in screen

I restored computer state to 1 week before this poo poo started.

It got worse, google chrome was just straight up gone, along with a lot of start menu stuff. Start menu worked but it was displaying less programs than a fresh install.

I did your command prompt, nothing seemed to change.

Further reports: it seems as if on system restore the only negative consequence was google chrome was borked. I uninstalled it and started fresh, some game saves are gone some are still there. Several other programs seem to be affected in the same manner, but not steam?
Otherwise pc is back to normal. I thank the thread and will report any new mishaps.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 11, 2024

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Check your drives using HD Sentinel professional trial and tell us if there's anything less than 100% green.

Also, there was more than just the commands, glad it worked but doing all of this will absolutely help in the future.