Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

This. That is to say, read "Ducks" by Kate Beaton.

Much of Canada is basically an extension of the empty-rear end states like Montana and Wyoming. I live in the biggest city in Canada's answer to Alabama, and I think the most notable thing about it is that our cops used to drive Natives out of town and hope they freeze to death.

as a New Mexican it's always been really wild to read and hear about how much of the rest of the US deals with Natives, and then hearing about Natives in Canada is just a whole other thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Secks Cauldron posted:

I heard a jar of peanut butter is like $30 up there

$40 for a pack of two.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
If you drive from Seattle to Anchorage, and take a wrong turn at Prince George, you can drive down a five hundred mile dirt road. Its incredibly scenic, at times it felt like driving through New Zealand/Lord of the Rings, but also my brother's trailer wheel fell off and we spent 3-4 hours repacking everything and never saw another person. We did see some big bear prints, but thankfully it was summer/daylight until 11pm+. One of the guys at the singular gas station says that snow is measured in feet up there. If you're American, the best way to pass time is to try and figure out your MPG

Secks Cauldron posted:

I heard a jar of peanut butter is like $30 up there

:hmmyes: it was like fifteen dollars for a burger and fries in 2006.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
pardon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ghVIFrykh0

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
I just got back from a week in Haida Gwaii for work a couple days ago.

Now that is the true wild. Absolutely beautiful, and the Haida are loving awesome people that will tell you unbelievable stories with almost any amount of prompting.

Hoping I get to go back this summer.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I heard they leave children they don't want there and they become sasquatches.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Very little happens up here. We scrape by, defending what succulent roots we can find from the horrid moose that roam the barren wastes yearing for a taste of human flesh.

Thousands of us perish in the bitter cold, simply walking off onto a frozen swamp with the hope that one day it will thaw enough that the ice gives way and swallow our comically posed corpse.

If we do not abide the rules of the land, the horse police will come and scold us, it is very rude, but we must apologize for making them leave the cities in the south, lest we be given a Starlight Tour.

We are hardly people any more. More animal than human. Shrieking at the Northern Lights as we are carried away by mosquitoes the size of wolves, and wolves the size of moose, and moose the size of bigger moose.

Our shacks are constructed from discarded Celine Dion and Barenaked Ladies CDs. A man named Jon is our king, as he has one bullet, but no gun, and we fear what he may be capable of.

Each spring, when the snowpack softens, we work a little more on our ice tunnel so we may one day reach the great warmth and safety of the Big City. A fabled place known as Swift Current, where legend says the water thaws and flows.

It has been many years since I have seen another. I thought I saw another person, and shouted to greet them, but all that came out was a "skoden" to which I received the response "wer ya to by". I believe in my soul this was a person and not the winds rustling through the coat of the mighty Sasquatch.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Here's a joke I think about often: Canada is the only place in the world where you can watch your dog run away for three days.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Das Boo posted:

Here's a joke I think about often: Canada is the only place in the world where you can watch your dog run away for three days.

That joke is more about Saskatchewan tbh

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

le poutine

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it's «la poutine» actually

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjPJlKUnOeaqll8lerO1tGQ

This a documentary youtube channel that chronicles the life of a typical citizen that lives deep in the Canadian interior.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's «la poutine» actually

«la mdr»

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've got the Canada pass

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You can say hoser?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Yukon Territory has 178 times the land area but 0.037 times the population of Rhode Island. I think that's pretty neat, sounds like a nice place.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Prince Edward Island is a lovely place. If you're into bicycling it seems like a dream destination.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
mostly just people out for a rip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

also alcoholism and bitching about how much they hate toronto are popular pastimes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Moon Monster posted:

The Yukon Territory has 178 times the land area but 0.037 times the population of Rhode Island. I think that's pretty neat, sounds like a nice place.

It honestly feels like it should be way more.

redshirt posted:

Prince Edward Island is a lovely place. If you're into bicycling it seems like a dream destination.

also if u like potatoes

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The province of Ontario is literally twice the size of Texas, suck it Americailures.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anne of Green Gables is hugely popular in Japan so you get a ton of tourists on PEI for that reason alone.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The only thing I know about PEI is we used to sell mussels from there at one of the restaurants I cooked at.

I don't really like mussels though to be honest

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

PEI has cool beaches with like this red sand and rock. Its pretty. Here's some pictures I took when I was there.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

«la mdr»

<<la MDMA>>

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Saalkin posted:

PEI has cool beaches with like this red sand and rock. Its pretty. Here's some pictures I took when I was there.

Sweeeet pics. Thanks

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

The province of Ontario is literally twice the size of Texas, suck it Americailures.

Most Americans say gently caress Texas as well, try again.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Canada is my least favorite country that I’ve ever been to

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mad Hamish posted:

And 37% smaller than Alaska :smuggo:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

UFO drag racing and a lot of omnipotent floating geometric shapes that emit unsettling sounds and auras that bother you to do things that aren't too hard to do, but, ugh you really just don't want to.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

That's where Canadian Las Vegas is and you oughta know better than posting threads about what happens there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Worf posted:

Canada is my least favorite country that I’ve ever been to

You suck. Canada rules.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

While a variety of theories have been postulated for the name of Canada, its origin is now accepted as coming from the St. Lawrence Iroquoian word kanata, meaning 'village' or 'settlement'.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

pencilhands posted:

What's up in the northern parts of all of the other provinces. Have any goons spent time there? Or in the "territories" even?

northeastern BC here. I guess it's only about 2/3rds of the way up really.

It's, usually, dangerously cold for most of five months out of the year, smoky for a lot of the rest and everything's a million miles away from anything else, which might sound appealing if you're in a 'surrounded by traffic noises 24/7' kind of place but is mostly just annoying when you don't have a thing you need and have to drive three hours to get it. A lot of people just sort of...end up here, partly because standards aren't really high in any respect you care to choose, and partly I guess because the downsides don't really outweigh having to spend a million dollars to sort out a place to live anywhere you'd actually want to.

I think I'd actually kinda like it despite all that if I had a job that didn't have me outside half the winter. I do though which is not so great.

If you spend enough time up here you can compensate for bad posts with good bear pictures though. Like this one:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

redshirt posted:

You suck. Canada rules.

I like every other country I’ve been to more

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

northeastern BC here. I guess it's only about 2/3rds of the way up really.

It's, usually, dangerously cold for most of five months out of the year, smoky for a lot of the rest and everything's a million miles away from anything else, which might sound appealing if you're in a 'surrounded by traffic noises 24/7' kind of place but is mostly just annoying when you don't have a thing you need and have to drive three hours to get it. A lot of people just sort of...end up here, partly because standards aren't really high in any respect you care to choose, and partly I guess because the downsides don't really outweigh having to spend a million dollars to sort out a place to live anywhere you'd actually want to.

I think I'd actually kinda like it despite all that if I had a job that didn't have me outside half the winter. I do though which is not so great.

If you spend enough time up here you can compensate for bad posts with good bear pictures though. Like this one:

Thank you

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

that's where my girlfriend lives. no you can't meet her

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

that's where my girlfriend lives. no you can't meet her

Middle schoolers in windsor all have girlfriends in fort mcmurray

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Worf posted:

I like every other country I’ve been to more

Mexico I assume.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Mostly just applauding questionable political types, or getting greased by Indian intelligence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the rape fields and prairielands of saskatchewan used to host enormous herds of RCMPs, but over time they were hunted nearly to extinction by european invaders. You can google photos of hunters standing beside huge piles of slaughtered mounties.