Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

kntfkr posted:

whatever u say hugesperm

If you can't handle the truth of sperm and booger mix then I don't know what to tell you. Good day to you, sperm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Nooner posted:

There was one street in my college campus that had them all down it also everyone hates it and avoided it during spring semester it's the worst

there used to be a shitload of them around the drug factory I worked at, in the spring it was refreshing to smell chemo drugs and sanitization solution for 12 hours considering the option you had if you went outside

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

They're called Bradford Pear trees, and my first experience with them was a horrible little town called Dalton, Georgia. It's a town that bills itself as the "Carpet Capital of the World," and it very well may be. If you live in the US, you likely have flooring made there.

It's also a right- wing hellhole, surprising even for the south, taking the worst bits of bootstraps and prosperity gospel and making it a local identity. The people screech about illegals while their prosperity is irrevocably tied to people who just came there for work and functionally have no labor rights or recourse.

The best thing about the town is that the Mexican food scene is pretty lit, if I'm honest.

Anyways, as part of some wrong headed public works thing, some idiots decided to plant Bradford Pear trees all over the town. During the spring, the warm, acrid smell of the carpet industry is drowned by the warm, sweaty smell of old semen.

Something something, Southern Gothic.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Also, they don't actually create any useful fruit. Just small, hard, inedible things that are technically pears.

The usefulness of this tree was bred out of it in exchange for lots of blooms and the delightful fragrance of jism.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

DicktheCat posted:

Also, they don't actually create any useful fruit. Just small, hard, inedible things that are technically pears.

The usefulness of this tree was bred out of it in exchange for lots of blooms and the delightful fragrance of jism.

Title: What's the deal with people planting those trees with a delightful fragrance of jism.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Grey Cat posted:

If you can't handle the truth of sperm and booger mix then I don't know what to tell you. Good day to you, sperm.

My PhD isn't in medicine, but I'm pretty sure the "booger" is just a house for the cum to live in until it gets stronger.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Larry Cum Free posted:

My PhD isn't in medicine, but I'm pretty sure the "booger" is just a house for the cum to live in until it gets stronger.

The day I hatched from my mother's booger I was a fully grown sperm.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

anyone know a lawyer versed in cum law? a neighbor cut down my prized cum tree

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

The day I hatched from my mother's booger I was a fully grown sperm.

ok? :confused:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

cum expert nooner

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

the list of people I've heard lose their poo poo about the pervasive smell of huge clusters of these ornamental pear trees includes former and current girlfriends, multiple coworkers while gowning into a cleanroom, many random students on both a community college and state college campus, and homeless people

it's always fun to ask your girlfriend "HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT JIZZ SMELLS LIKE LOLOLOL"

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 11, 2024

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I've been obsessed with plants since the pandemic, had heard about Bradford pears growing invasively, knew about the jizz smell, and had heard that they had ugly ugly bark (or was it lovely...?).

Wife and I were out looking for railroad spikes when I spot an ugly gnarled trunk shittily reaching towards the sky (one point), I notice it's growing pretty close to a rock grade train track which seems pretty fuckin invasive, approach it and I immediately see the rose flowers. Jizz smell.

I confirmed it using iNaturalist. I'm still really proud of recognizing a rather uncommon (in my area) invasive from half knowledge having never seen it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there have got to be at least some cum greedy folks for whom the presence of these trees is a great boon, right?

anyone in that camp willing to speak?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

This you?

Larry Cum Free posted:

MrQwerty posted:

the list of people I've heard lose their poo poo about the pervasive smell of huge clusters of these ornamental pear trees includes former and current girlfriends, multiple coworkers while gowning into a cleanroom, many random students on both a community college and state college campus, and homeless people

it's always fun to ask your girlfriend "HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT JIZZ SMELLS LIKE LOLOLOL"

I'm usually the first one that brings up "does something smell like cum to you?" Maybe it's a super power or something.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im glad these arent too common around here

i did butcher some linden-variety trees that gushed a cummy smelling liquid when cut into

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

20 Blunts posted:

im glad these arent too common around here

i did butcher some linden-variety trees that gushed a cummy smelling liquid when cut into

that was cum

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The worst is when it’s hot out because it seems the warmer it gets the worse the smell is.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The worst is when it’s hot out because it seems the warmer it gets the worse the smell is.

I’m sorry, do you prefer cold cum?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Isn't the smell based on the tree's diet? Like if the city spent money on pineapple compost, the trees would smell sweeter?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
anyone know what the trees stack looks like? just want to compare notes

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Who keeps planting these trees that seem to be universally disliked? Is there some secret global network of perverts behind this?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

This you?

yeah!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Nooner posted:

Who keeps planting these trees that seem to be universally disliked? Is there some secret global network of perverts behind this?

They're called the cum tree society and... oh no I've said too much.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Nooner posted:

a lot of urban planning psychos cursed us with these stupid loving ornamental trees in the 50s-70s. the co-op i live in has several mulberry trees planted and they drop like 20+ lb of the worst staining fruit you've ever seen every summer. they were planted when the complex was built in the 70s cause they looked pretty. now its gonna cost us like 15k/tree to chop down lmao

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 11, 2024

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Has anyone confirmed if the trees taste like cum? Asking for a friend.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Isn't there a flower that only blooms like every 7 years and smells like a rotting corpse? If you're looking for something different.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Isn't there a flower that only blooms like every 7 years and smells like a rotting corpse? If you're looking for something different.

Yeah and of all the plants that look like they should smell like cum it's that one.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

MrQwerty posted:

It's these, they are very pretty and smell absolutely loving foul

i have some plum trees that make a lot of delicate blossoms that look like these only pink/purple. and they don't smell like anything.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
my cum don't smell like that

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I have a cum tree right outside my front door.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Love to step out into the spring cum scented air and take a deep inhale after being stuck inside with cum scented air all winter

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Novo posted:

i have some plum trees that make a lot of delicate blossoms that look like these only pink/purple. and they don't smell like anything.

Plum is same family and not nearly as cum filled. Seems like the sperm smell helps attract flies as pollinators, though bees and birds still help.

===
This is only a theory and the Bradford pear doesn't really smell like sulfur compounds. More like Trimethylamine or fish sauce:

Johnson, S. D., & Jürgens, A. (2010). Convergent evolution of carrion and faecal scent mimicry in fly-pollinated angiosperm flowers and a stinkhorn fungus. South African Journal of Botany, 76(4), 796-807.

Abstract
Flowers of many angiosperms attract fly pollinators through mimicry of animal carrion and faeces. This phenomenon of “sapromyiophily” is also evident in the sporophytes of some mosses and fruiting bodies of “stinkhorn” fungi, both of which use flies as agents of spore dispersal. We studied the scent chemistry of a stinkhorn fungus (Clathrus archeri) and seven fly-pollinated plant species with foetid odours to determine the degree to which these organisms mimic the scent of carrion and faeces (reference scent samples were collected from rotting meat, a rat carcass and horse and dog faeces), as well as the degree of convergent evolution between the fungus and angiosperm flowers. We found that scents of both the fungus and angiosperms tended to contain compounds typical of carrion, such as oligosulphides, and of faeces, such as phenol, indole and p-cresol. This study provides compelling new evidence for mimicry of carrion and faeces, as well as a striking pattern of convergence in the putrid scents of the fungus and the angiosperms, relative to those of confamilial species. The syndrome of sapromyiophily thus encompasses at least two kingdoms (Plantae and Fungi) and provides an effective means of exploiting flies as agents of pollen and spore dispersal.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

down1nit posted:

Seems like the sperm smell helps attract flies as pollinators

I guess that makes complete sense when you think about what pollen is. Truly human beings are weird, we shove our noses in plant genitals specifically to smell them, then complain when they smell like cum

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Novo posted:

I guess that makes complete sense when you think about what pollen is. Truly human beings are weird, we shove our noses in plant genitals specifically to smell them, then complain when they smell like cum

ain't nobody shoving their faces in giant, block-spanning clusters of flowering ornamental pear trees

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I named my dog “Trees” so I can yell “Come, Trees!” repeatedly at the park.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

you can make any tree smell like cum with the right attitude

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

My dogs name is Stains.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I walk up to a tree in full blossom in public, smashing my face into it and screaming "oh yeah, I loving love it, give it to me, give it to me" until I'm head to toe in pollen. Then I begin my sad, lonely walk back home.

I then loving die because I have terrible asthma. But it's how I always wanted to go out.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

David Mitchell needs to play ladies more often

hey everyone this goons' kink is brits in drag talking about cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Novo posted:

Catkins are a tree's way of just having an entire row of dicks just kinda jizzing into the wind. There are gendered catkins too so there's of course usually a row of uteruses nearby hanging out too

Nature has a horny problem, truly