Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
In the medical physics world its got quite a few practical applications.
Most of which are still in the research phase and need to pass some bug hurdles before theyll evee see clinical use.

But there's a few things which are about to enter clinical practice. They definitely arent being usec to replace anyone there though.
At most it can assist less experienced radiation oncologists identify clinical tumor volumes will a performance as comparable to highly experienced radiation oncologists.

Its definitely a big area of medical physics research atm. Easy to check its effectiveness to tons of sub fields in med phys and get a quick publication out of it.

A shame its so boring and scammy elsewhere or id have picked and easy project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

kntfkr posted:

Sorry, as an open language model I don't have a tongue and cannot lick your toes.

I assure you, you have a tongue, it is in your cheek!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

kntfkr posted:

Hate to break it to you OP but Natalie Imbruglia's hit single Torn was made entirely with AI (Australian Intelligence)

this was my fault, i kept asking it to generate a woman lying naked on the floor and it spit out a whole freakin pop song, this AI thing is just busted

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
ah, got it! I've seen that in some of my responses too

The only time I really leaned on AI was to get Arduino code to make a stepper motor turn on and off randomly. It worked great for that, but I don't think swaths of embedded systems programmers are going to be out of work from it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Rad-daddio posted:

The only time I really leaned on AI was to get Arduino code to make a stepper motor turn on and off randomly. It worked great for that, but I don't think swaths of embedded systems programmers are going to be out of work from it.

That's pretty cool tho

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

pixaal posted:

It will become a tool like a computer, a workforce multiplier.

i can think of a few ways to implement "ai" in my job but they are basically this. a tool that makes my job easier. if i worked for a bigger company they might be the type of tools that reduce an engineering dept from 10 to 7 or 8 or something. but they're not really "ai", its just machine learning, the type that removes the chaff busywork of engineering that requires a minimum of intelligent or creative thought. ie drafting, stress analysis + design optimization, motion and spacial problem solving, etc.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

thanks! nice av cool cat!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Worf posted:

Also if we're being honest there's a much bigger shortage of doctors and medical staff then there are for people that can work in a call center lol

So I absolutely think that the financial incentive is there based on the size of those markets and the amount of money including insurance companies thats a part of the industries

And in America which is basically the only country that matters honestly, they would absolutely cut out the middleman of having a doctor and just have an AI interpreter/customer service representative and some nurse technicians as soon as they could

It's not a market that has traditional competition, there's no hoteling theory that dictates your customer service needs to be better than the next one at your emergency room especially as these things get more corporatized

there's still gonna be a doctor in there somewhere for regulatory reasons but tbh I don't understand what part chatgpt would even play in the traditional 'patient self-diagnoses via WebMD, doctor either rubberstamps self-diagnosis without further examination or accuses patient of drugseeking depending on the weather at the DEA this month' process. presumably the thing isn't sewing up stitches but who the hell knows what people think it can do

basically every other job in that list that isn't harassing people with advertising garbage has already been replaced by some kind of self-service automation, why not getting a prescription lmao

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 11, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Rad-daddio posted:

yeah ive hosed around to get it to make some programs for me. cause im not a programmer, but i have a rudimentary understanding due to classes in college. i dont want to learn pearl or relearn VBA to make some tools for work so i just tell gpt4 to poo poo out some code, and that + some googling and bam i have some workable apps. but yeah it takes quite a bit of massaging even for the simplest poo poo, i can't imagine using this for huge projects

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Worf posted:

When's the last time you've been in a hospital in America lmao

I absolutely think that the cognitive functions required to diagnose something are going to be replaced by a low paid employee plugging something into a computer

And then in the case of vehicles etc where you can just have a scan of where every component is with minimal variation, I think that will be probably one of the easier ones to replace wholesale eventually

I've never been to a hospital in America but there is a physical component to what doctors do believe it or not. Also lol about your idea about mechanics.

I get what you're saying but I think these tools will be largely supplementary for the next few years.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

Call centers, drive thru people, technical writers, customer service representatives, telemarketers, technical support agents, live chat support staff, personal assistants, booking and reservation agents, email support staff, social media managers, language translators, content moderators. I mean, that's just a few but there is a list of jobs that are far easier to replace than the two you gave. What do you think MD's and mechanics do? Just look at symptoms and tell you what's wrong?

All of these have been using NLP for a decade+ now.

They still gently caress up a lot, and need a human to fix the gently caress ups. If/when AI-dedicated chips get cheap enough that they can refine their LLM on the fly, they may get better, or they may hallucinate that they're getting better and poo poo out more garbage

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Bad Purchase posted:

this was my fault, i kept asking it to generate a woman lying naked on the floor and it spit out a whole freakin pop song, this AI thing is just busted

That's what's going on!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
the one thing I like about AI art is that in its low effort form it looks like poo poo and instantly outs whoever is using it as a scumbag.

...in some other stuff it's frightening how powerful it is. I can see some aspects of the stock photo/footage industry being heavily affected by it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think that when it comes to coding with gpt you have to treat it more like an assistant than a 'jesus take the wheel!' coder. For some of the 10x coders here I'm sure it's more a hindrance than a help but for people like me whose job is <5% programming, it's invaluable. It's able to explain concepts and libraries far better than would be available from googling (especially lately). It can diagnose issues in small sections of code. It can show me more efficient ways to do things. But you always have to keep your eye out, but the same goes for getting help from another, even more experienced person, and this thing is effectively instant.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rad-daddio posted:

the one thing I like about AI art is that in its low effort form it looks like poo poo and instantly outs whoever is using it as a scumbag.

...in some other stuff it's frightening how powerful it is. I can see some aspects of the stock photo/footage industry being heavily affected by it.

Didn't quite get the text, but it tried!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Vampire Panties posted:

They still gently caress up a lot, and need a human to fix the gently caress ups. If/when AI-dedicated chips get cheap enough that they can refine their LLM on the fly, they may get better, or they may hallucinate that they're getting better and poo poo out more garbage

Yup. That's the thing--any use case that people bring up for the current generation of AI are things that already have had AI tools for years. Your more self-aware techbros will try to hedge their enthusiasm by saying generative AI will be good for filler or background details, but movies have been doing AI-generated crowds for 20+ years. Whatever actual use comes out of the current generation of AI is going to be incremental, not revolutionary.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Vampire Panties posted:

I don't deny that AI is a pale replacement for those positions but those are probably much better candidates than MDs and mechanics for job replacement.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MDs have an extremely high barrier to entry and an extremely high quit rate

call center staffers etc can work in their underwear at home with a GED

i dont think its easier to replace doctors than, ie, call center people, i think it will simply be 1) seen as necessary 2) backed by an industry with the financial incentive to do it 3) an industry where a vast majority of people cant shop the competition

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

To use it in a way that makes things better you already have to be an expert in the field you are using it for so you actually understand what "better" is.

Everyone else is using it in a way that makes things worse.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kdrudy posted:

To use it in a way that makes things better you already have to be an expert in the field you are using it for so you actually understand what "better" is.

Everyone else is using it in a way that makes things worse.

The best part is that even if you don't use AI generation yourself, increasing amounts of AI-generated garbage output are making it harder and harder to find accurate references online. This was already happening before the current AI trend but it's rapidly accelerated since then.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

pixaal posted:

Didn't quite get the text, but it tried!

lol this is cool

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
Microsofts Github CoPilot assistant is the bees knees.

It throws the code and other files you are working on in GPTs context and auto-suggests code where your cursor is with shocking accuracy. Still messes up sometimes, but when you know what you are doing it speeds up development work by a factor of 10.

Won't replace programmers, not good for new coders, but one of the few actually helpful uses of AI.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

imo ai will replace workers like forklifts have replaced workers. by concentrating the work of several people into one. but this is the same story with all industrialization. remember when the hotness was to be afraid of "automation"? it's a real fear becuase it will reduce the amount of humans required to do the same work and the gov't isn';t going to intervene to help displaced workers until its so bad that UBI is mandatory, but honestly "AI" is a boogeyman the same way robots were, the same way computers were, the same way machines were in the 19th c.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

kntfkr posted:

Hate to break it to you OP but Natalie Imbruglia's hit single Torn was made entirely with AI (Australian Intelligence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV1XWJN3nJo

An example of what AI can do:

So I guess the fortune teller's right
Should have seen just what was there and not some holy light
But you crawled beneath my veins and now
I don't care, I have no luck
I don't miss it all that much
There's just so many things
That I can't touch, I'm torn

Imbruglia had a hit with that song, but it was actually originally written by a Danish artist. Your joke is WRONG.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

imo ai will replace workers like forklifts have replaced workers. by concentrating the work of several people into one. but this is the same story with all industrialization. remember when the hotness was to be afraid of "automation"? it's a real fear becuase it will reduce the amount of humans required to do the same work and the gov't isn';t going to intervene to help displaced workers until its so bad that UBI is mandatory, but honestly "AI" is a boogeyman the same way robots were, the same way computers were, the same way machines were in the 19th c.

The boogyman was pretty real for those heroin & poverty rust belt areas that every western country still has to this day

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

The boogyman was pretty real for those heroin & poverty rust belt areas that every western country still has to this day

that wasn't due to automation. that was due to the magic of Free Trade baby

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
not sure about the whole "stealing a person's voice and likeness" thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SayIV42vp8

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol you've understood what mechanics do and how automobiles work perfectly

It's hilarious how people who are .. the opposite of a subject matter expert are invariably the ones to spout poo poo about how said task will be replaced by AI.

Just like the venture capitalists, the "Next Big Thing" investors, the middle mangers, and apparently some posters ..

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Medical doctors have already been using "AI" for like 10 years. If you have a digital chart, your doctor has been inputting symptoms and diagnoses and a robot has been churning through differential diagnoses and validating treatment plans.

The big AI revolution for doctors on the horizon? Instead of enumerating symptoms for ingestion by the robot they can just use their narrative notes.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
like most technology, i think it's cool in how it works and is fun to experiment with but capitalism will do its darndest to make everything the worst outcome possible

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

zedprime posted:

Medical doctors have already been using "AI" for like 10 years. If you have a digital chart, your doctor has been inputting symptoms and diagnoses and a robot has been churning through differential diagnoses and validating treatment plans.

The big AI revolution for doctors on the horizon? Instead of enumerating symptoms for ingestion by the robot they can just use their narrative notes.

yes and this is a thing that will soon be relegated to more people that arent MDs

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Disco Pope posted:

Imbruglia had a hit with that song, but it was actually originally written by a Danish artist. Your joke is WRONG.

Danish "artists" are called bakers. hth op

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Worf posted:

yes and this is a thing that will soon be relegated to more people that arent MDs
I don't see where the new AI is stepping in yet. You've made a very good case for nurse practitioners though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AI has substance that crypto does not but is being pushed by the crypto idiots so it gives the illusion that AI is as pointless/wasteful as crypto.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I dunno, I used Suno to make as song with the prompt

"An epic metal song about a Goblin named Gorf who wants to date a dragon" and this is the absolute banger it gave me

Gorf the Goblin Slayer

edit: No surprise but Suno is really good at EDM

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Radiologists could potentially be replaced by AI. I'm only familiar with the veterinary side but there's already a service that uses AI to interpret rads through Antech.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dixville posted:

Radiologists could potentially be replaced by AI. I'm only familiar with the veterinary side but there's already a service that uses AI to interpret rads through Antech.

No, pets will just be replaced by AI

You’ve all seen the dog robots it’s not going to be long before they miniaturize it and make a cat

It won’t be too difficult to program a robot to jump on the counter and knock things off while it stares at you

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Worf posted:

No, pets will just be replaced by AI

You’ve all seen the dog robots it’s not going to be long before they miniaturize it and make a cat

It won’t be too difficult to program a robot to jump on the counter and knock things off while it stares at you

Well they definitely won't puke on your carpet. You may be on to something.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Dixville posted:

Well they definitely won't puke on your carpet. You may be on to something.

the no puke option will be part of your AI pet+™ monthly subscription plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Human being mechanics and AI alike are both loving doomed considering the half-assed poo poo rolling off of lots today. AI just be like "yo this Jeep thing isn't even a vehicle its a potato"