Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

pixaal posted:

I'm sorry, I think this was sexual in nature

Wow you have a really dirty mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

For real! You know they take vow of celibacy, right? You think someone in a position of trust and authority would just break the rules like that?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Hammerite posted:

The LLM approach to AI seems like it's applicable to mostly bad poo poo and not to much of worth IMO. but then I am a sourpuss goon who only sees the worst in everything so there you go.

I use it all the time to generate "stock" photos for our website.

Hammerite posted:

Ripping off creative people and decreasing their ability to earn a living

Oh.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

This is cookie clicker.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

How to use AI to get ahead at work: fake an audio recording of your boss doing a big racism and get him fired

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/maryland-framed-principal-racist-ai-generated-voice/

Alternatively, this could be the new get out of jail free card where every time you get busted for heinous poo poo you blame it on those drat AIs

On the internet there are people who post videos of one thing, like a riot, and then say it's another more recent riot.
And then your racist facebook uncle promotes it.
This is just a little more personal and and it's obscurity allows it to ruin a person's life faster.
Like when internet people said some other person was the Boston Marathon Bomber.

"Oh this horrible thing is happening."
Is it going to kill me in the next few hours.
"It might! It might!"
Eh, give it a day to see if it is even real.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

On the internet there are people who post videos of one thing, like a riot, and then say it's another more recent riot.
And then your racist facebook uncle promotes it.
This is just a little more personal and and it's obscurity allows it to ruin a person's life faster.
Like when internet people said some other person was the Boston Marathon Bomber.

Here in Australia just the other week when a guy killed several people at a shopping mall we had a news network identify a completely innocent guy as the killer and broadcast his name and photo nationwide: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-26/man-wrongly-identified-bondi-junction-attacker-seven-settles/103772376

He sued the gently caress out of them and they immediately settled out of court for a undisclosed sum, but it would have been an astronomical amount of money

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Here in Australia just the other week when a guy killed several people at a shopping mall we had a news network identify a completely innocent guy as the killer and broadcast his name and photo nationwide: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-26/man-wrongly-identified-bondi-junction-attacker-seven-settles/103772376

He sued the gently caress out of them and they immediately settled out of court for a undisclosed sum, but it would have been an astronomical amount of money

Note that their “source” for this story was a well known pro-Russian Twitter troll who was intentionally spreading antisemitic propaganda.

A more relevant Australian AI story was a couple of months back, when a different national news network let Photoshop’s AI retouching tool tweak an image of a female politician for a news story. The tool helpfully gave her larger breasts and turned her dress into a midriff top: https://amp.abc.net.au/article/103403664

THE FUTURE

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Can't possibly have been enough, even being identified on the news as having been present at a mass shooting means a lifetime of harassment from conspiracy cranks now

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2024/04/us-department-of-homeland-security-names-ai-safety-and-security-board-members/

ars posted:

On Friday, the US Department of Homeland Security announced the formation of an Artificial Intelligence Safety and Security Board that consists of 22 members pulled from the tech industry, government, academia, and civil rights organizations.

quote:

Sam Altman, CEO, OpenAI
Dario Amodei, CEO and Co-Founder, Anthropic
Ed Bastian, CEO, Delta Air Lines
Rumman Chowdhury, Ph.D., CEO, Humane Intelligence
Alexandra Reeve Givens, President and CEO, Center for Democracy and Technology
Bruce Harrell, Mayor of Seattle, Washington; Chair, Technology and Innovation Committee, United States Conference of Mayors
Damon Hewitt, President and Executive Director, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
Vicki Hollub, President and CEO, Occidental Petroleum
Jensen Huang, President and CEO, Nvidia
Arvind Krishna, Chairman and CEO, IBM
Fei-Fei Li, Ph.D., Co-Director, Stanford Human-centered Artificial Intelligence Institute
Wes Moore, Governor of Maryland
Satya Nadella, Chairman and CEO, Microsoft
Shantanu Narayen, Chair and CEO, Adobe
Sundar Pichai, CEO, Alphabet
Arati Prabhakar, Ph.D., Assistant to the President for Science and Technology; Director, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
Chuck Robbins, Chair and CEO, Cisco; Chair, Business Roundtable
Adam Selipsky, CEO, Amazon Web Services
Dr. Lisa Su, Chair and CEO, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)
Nicol Turner Lee, Ph.D., Senior Fellow and Director of the Center for Technology Innovation, Brookings Institution
Kathy Warden, Chair, CEO and President, Northrop Grumman
Maya Wiley, President and CEO, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights.

:shepicide:

what a hosed up nightmare list of techbro ceos. Also delta airlines? lmao

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Nightmare blunt rotation

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
it's 2024 and chatbots are the new boogeyman.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SmarterChild was a mistake

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

pixaal posted:

SmarterChild was a mistake

The first chatbots were from 1966 and 1972

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Certainly! I can log into many remote Russian nuclear launch facilities. Would you like me to do that now?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I wrote a chatbot for the company I work for. It uses about 500 if statements. Do you think I can get on that AI board?

edit: correction, there are some switch cases mixed in as well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrQwerty posted:

The first chatbots were from 1966 and 1972
Eliza passed the turing test for a while because humans had no idea how terminal chat rooms were supposed to work. A Rolodex of nice grammatical well spelled therapy blather was leagues ahead of any rando stuck in front of a keyboard.

I think we're going through a very similar phenomenon of LLM appearing they know how to research better than people and people are going to figure out how to do better with lower level tools soon enough.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Ed Zitron's latest article is him taking a big poo poo on Sam Altman. it's pretty good (or at least entertaining to see someone dunk on Altman)

quote:

Much like ChatGPT, Altman is capable only of loosely approximating the output requested, because at his core he lacks any of the substance or technical history required to do so. Like ChatGPT, he’s a know-nothing that, through deterministic measures completely detached from the meaning of the underlying ideas, picks the right words to say at the right time.

And this is the man selling the artificial intelligence dream — a salesman capable of superficial connection of ideas in a way that’s initially satisfying, as long as you don’t think about it too much.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

kiwid posted:

I wrote a chatbot for the company I work for. It uses about 500 if statements. Do you think I can get on that AI board?

edit: correction, there are some switch cases mixed in as well.

when you say "500 if statements" are you sure you don't mean "500 Malaysian workers"?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh I'm sure they'll track down the cause of all these AI safety & security risks immediately

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Can we make this dude Pope?

https://twitter.com/KatieConradKS/status/1783116110172143699

He's no longer presenting himself as a priest, but Justin has a new webpage and you can sign up for access.

https://wvw.catholic.com/ai?utm_source=website&utm_medium=under_search_bar&utm_campaign=ai&utm_content=fr_justin

William Bear fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 30, 2024

Nov 6, 2002

someone ask it if pull-and-pray counts as birth control

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

lmao at facebook’s ad spend ai that’s perfectly optimized to rip off their customers

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Hammerite posted:

Ed Zitron's latest article is him taking a big poo poo on...

I've seen this guy mentioned couple of times but I still have no idea who he is. His self bio says that he used to do video game reviews and he has a podcast. That's pretty much it.

Nov 6, 2002

BoldFace posted:

I've seen this guy mentioned couple of times but I still have no idea who he is. His self bio says that he used to do video game reviews and he has a podcast. That's pretty much it.

He's a tech writer. I've read a bunch of his stuff, he makes good points but he comes in hot with way too much personal vitriol aimed at people whose life's work he doesn't really know much about.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Rad-daddio posted:

it's 2024 and chatbots are the new boogeyman.

Actually chatbots run the think tanks that tell the government about AI.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Hammerite posted:

Ed Zitron's latest article is him taking a big poo poo on Sam Altman. it's pretty good (or at least entertaining to see someone dunk on Altman)

tech VC land is such a weird cargo cult

Nov 6, 2002

lol

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

The farmer forgot his keys, ok?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My Copilot presentation/training was interesting. It's got power if it can do what they say it can and will be able to do soon (that is, have native connectors to most O365 apps). This will trivialize some jobs and make others much easier than they are now, but it's the wild west with very few checks, especially in regards to quality output and security. I'm of the mind I better learn how to use it (and/or its cousins) now before it becomes commonplace.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

William Bear posted:

The farmer forgot his keys, ok?

The keys to the boat, hmmmm
the boat he just used?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pixaal posted:

The keys to the boat, hmmmm
the boat he just used?

No, the keys to the sheep

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He's a tech writer. I've read a bunch of his stuff, he makes good points but he comes in hot with way too much personal vitriol aimed at people whose life's work he doesn't really know much about.

Curious which article of his you're referring to, because yeah, he can get mean.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a goon.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Anyone interested in laughing at AI (and that should be everyone) should check out the reviews of the latest ~AI GADGETS~, the Humane AI Pin and the Rabbit R1. Absolute comedy gold - one reviewer called the Humane Pin the worst product he’s ever reviewed

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

webmeister posted:

Anyone interested in laughing at AI (and that should be everyone) should check out the reviews of the latest ~AI GADGETS~, the Humane AI Pin and the Rabbit R1. Absolute comedy gold - one reviewer called the Humane Pin the worst product he’s ever reviewed

People are bigly mad about it as well, such as this dipshit who pulled out the "OH YEAH, WELL SO ARE YOU!" schoolyard comeback

https://twitter.com/GrahamFleming_/status/1785149653056467304

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
love to carry around my little terminal with a camera like it does one single thing a phone app couldn’t do except bypass sissy rear end phone privacy settings

also love how it’s the size of a minidisc player

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BoldFace posted:

He runs a small PR firm. But he mainly got recognition on twitter, because he was a real poster and had a substantial following. Then when musk turned it into a nazi bar he started writing all these awesomely vituperative blogs instead.

Failson posted:

Curious which article of his you're referring to, because yeah, he can get mean.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a goon.

Zitron has directly referenced SA in old tweets and various places, he was absolutely a goon or at least a lurker in the 2000s.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Klyith posted:

vituperative

:goofy:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

People are bigly mad about it as well, such as this dipshit who pulled out the "OH YEAH, WELL SO ARE YOU!" schoolyard comeback

https://twitter.com/GrahamFleming_/status/1785149653056467304

Rabbit, please show me an example of a false equivalency

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

SettingSun posted:

My Copilot presentation/training was interesting. It's got power if it can do what they say it can and will be able to do soon (that is, have native connectors to most O365 apps). This will trivialize some jobs and make others much easier than they are now, but it's the wild west with very few checks, especially in regards to quality output and security. I'm of the mind I better learn how to use it (and/or its cousins) now before it becomes commonplace.

Is this being able to say "watch what I'm doing and automate it"?

Simple stuff like formatting/sorting cells in excel, saving and publishing to x

Because that'd be a baller way to eliminate 90% of office administration bullshit instantly

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Klyith posted:

when musk turned it into a nazi bar

Did you ever look at twitter before he bought it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bobcats posted:

love to carry around my little terminal with a camera like it does one single thing a phone app couldn’t do except bypass sissy rear end phone privacy settings

also love how it’s the size of a minidisc player

If it was just a mini disc player with a good ui and some other quirky Teenage Engineering features it would be pretty cool.