Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think one thing that concerns me is that as the models get better that people will start using them as friends. I mean there are already people who do that with certain services but I can see children start to do that, especially as new chips are coming out specifically for tensors. I can see every phone with its own locally hosted buddy for your child. They're already playing with giving gpt4 some limited long term memory, a couple more years and it might be good enough to serve as a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The AI is going to look at my post history, and refuse to be my friend 😞

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Worf posted:

The AI is going to look at my post history, and refuse to be my friend 😞

sa posters dont need ai, as they have a whole forum worth of friends :)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

sa posters dont need ai, as they have a whole forum worth of friends :)

What if you are all AI?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pixaal posted:

What if you are all AI?

Certainly! I can see why you would say that.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

generative AI is the ultimate expression of capitalism necessarily destroying all art and culture.
the guys who program this stuff are ALL psychopath right-wingers.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It's interesting how "AI" (a buzzword for "Machine Learning"), which itself is a fascinating and capable technology, transitioned the industry very suddenly on a very sharply collapsing bubble, and how rich a bunch of idiots suddenly got and how many people got laid off for, at the end of the day, no good reason.

IMO expect a lot of comedy as people who oversold it have to suddenly (don't) work very hard to try to deliver on over-promises where ML for a task or industry doesn't exist, and droves of absolutely dumb pitchmen who have very little idea what they're doing with the technology itself but are all trying to sell education and advantage while gnashing at the teeth for million-dollar contracts they can't program themselves.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I have found a single thing I like ai for:

my dentist's office gave me a new toothbrush that's tied to an ai that monitors your brushing habits and can give helpful suggestions.

It's a really good idea, and a good use of a pattern- detecting technology, even if I'm certain the app is stealing data like a bandit.

Personally, though, I'm still iffy on it being used for diagnostics. One of the big drives forward for the tech was medical in nature- scientists were training it to detect cancers. But early on, they had the issue of garbage in, garbage out- because it had been trained originally on images of tumors with rulers near them, the machine did what it was told and got really good at weeding through pictures of cancer with rulers.

While we've advanced beyond that, the issue of garbage in, garbage out isn't one that can be divorced from any computer. This wouldn't be an issue if the computer diagnostics were guaranteed to have oversight. Human doctors looking at it can catch issues, and contact the manufacturers if they notice consistent issues. But that's not going to happen. If you look into the history of medical technology, it takes a horrific amount of human suffering and death to force manufacturers to do what's right, and usually only after public outcry.

Not to mention the chronic overwork of medical staff and the push to be ever-faster behind the scenes. Exhausted humans will inevitably opt for simpler options if presented, and not follow up because they're already overwhelmed. If it becomes easier for an exhausted doctor to defer to a machine, then things will be missed, which isn't going to be ok in medicine. The human body is an inconsistent shitshow, and even the placement of organs can be general at best. My own appendix was in the wrong place, and my wisdom teeth are coming in goddamned sideways. The dataset necessary to prepare an ai for the endless weird ways our bodies can gently caress us is staggering, and perhaps impossible to adequately gather.

tl;dr:
An ai that can say "you missed your molars, bro" is a far cry away from one I would trust with my life.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Not sure that I would really call artificial intelligence a buzz word for machine learning, I think machine learning is pretty commonly accepted as a part of artificial intelligence by definition

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
fartificial intelligents

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

There's some AI applications being spooled up for analyzing Teeth X-rays. Apparently full blown charts and treatment plans drafted off of a panoramic xray and a maybe a few bitewings

I'll believe it when I see it though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

I have found a single thing I like ai for:

my dentist's office gave me a new toothbrush that's tied to an ai that monitors your brushing habits and can give helpful suggestions.

It's a really good idea, and a good use of a pattern- detecting technology, even if I'm certain the app is stealing data like a bandit.

Personally, though, I'm still iffy on it being used for diagnostics. One of the big drives forward for the tech was medical in nature- scientists were training it to detect cancers. But early on, they had the issue of garbage in, garbage out- because it had been trained originally on images of tumors with rulers near them, the machine did what it was told and got really good at weeding through pictures of cancer with rulers.

While we've advanced beyond that, the issue of garbage in, garbage out isn't one that can be divorced from any computer. This wouldn't be an issue if the computer diagnostics were guaranteed to have oversight. Human doctors looking at it can catch issues, and contact the manufacturers if they notice consistent issues. But that's not going to happen. If you look into the history of medical technology, it takes a horrific amount of human suffering and death to force manufacturers to do what's right, and usually only after public outcry.

Not to mention the chronic overwork of medical staff and the push to be ever-faster behind the scenes. Exhausted humans will inevitably opt for simpler options if presented, and not follow up because they're already overwhelmed. If it becomes easier for an exhausted doctor to defer to a machine, then things will be missed, which isn't going to be ok in medicine. The human body is an inconsistent shitshow, and even the placement of organs can be general at best. My own appendix was in the wrong place, and my wisdom teeth are coming in goddamned sideways. The dataset necessary to prepare an ai for the endless weird ways our bodies can gently caress us is staggering, and perhaps impossible to adequately gather.

tl;dr:
An ai that can say "you missed your molars, bro" is a far cry away from one I would trust with my life.

Excuse me excuse me what the gently caress are you talking about? AI = More Sonic Images = A better society. Why the gently caress would you waste that technology on something else?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Worf posted:

Not sure that I would really call artificial intelligence a buzz word for machine learning, I think machine learning is pretty commonly accepted as a part of artificial intelligence by definition

Pardon my flawed understanding and explanation here, but in my opinion, "AI" means an entity in the "General AI" sense that we talk to, interact, can socialize with, but are also well-trained to capably handle a wide variety of tasks. While SOME of that appears available (especially in the interactivity sense), it seems far from the fantasy of 100% handling everything in our day-to-day lives, both in the clerical and physical robotically-augmented senses, and there's plenty of work to still be done.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else perceive a possible hazard of compartmentalization due to commercialization, like above? Like, one company has a great toothbrush "AI," and a completely different one will have a great XRay AI?

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 11, 2024

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i mean AI is really just a surveillance apparatus right

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

whether you believe in ai or not its already being used by tons of businesses to avoid hiring workers

so ya, it's changing the world

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

20 Blunts posted:

i mean AI is really just a surveillance apparatus right

Yeah, but everything is a surveillance apparatus

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

nothing is real

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

nothing is real
only pain is real

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GolfHole posted:

whether you believe in ai or not its already being used by tons of businesses to avoid hiring workers

so ya, it's changing the world

Yeah so? People shouldn't have to work, and we shouldn't just create work to keep people busy. They should be forced to fight for the entertainment of the AI owners or starve.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

id like to see a computer

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah so? People shouldn't have to work, and we shouldn't just create work to keep people busy. They should be forced to fight for the entertainment of the AI owners or starve.

yea this is what i was trying to postm, sorry it came out wrong, thanks

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

numberoneposter posted:

id like to see a computer

"AL, show me a computer."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Paul Rudd is going to be seen as a prophet who foresaw the true face of generative AI when asking for nude Tayne.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

zedprime posted:

Paul Rudd is going to be seen as a prophet who foresaw the true face of generative AI when asking for nude Tayne.

Can I get some hat wobble

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
YOUR AN OVERBLOWN MESS

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
It's actually really good for the repetitive (tasks, sorting, organising etc.) that are often the precursors to real creative work. It's changed my work balance entirely and allowed to really focus on the things I enjoy in my career.

It's utterly poo poo for long form writing though.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I dunno, I used Suno to make as song with the prompt

"An epic metal song about a Goblin named Gorf who wants to date a dragon" and this is the absolute banger it gave me

Gorf the Goblin Slayer

edit: No surprise but Suno is really good at EDM

K, I admit I'm a prog rock fan, but that is absolute garbage. I was trying to think of something that was sincerely developed by humans that was as bad, but I came up short. Its subjective and all that, but criminy; if that is peak AI, then we have a loooong way to go.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

AI has turned the internet into an unusable mess where it's harder to find accurate and salient information than it was in was in the 90s. So it's pretty loving horrible.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
I hate how AI is going to increase the divide between rich and poor, and a lot of people's lives have been ruined and many more will at least be disrupted and lose any chance of long term planning. hope against hope that the abundant accessibility of it will at least mean that some people currently disadvantaged are going to find ways to improve their situations. But of course along the way we have to slog through so many inane get-rich-quick scams powered by AI and I think we've only seen the peak of that iceberg.

It would be dishonest to deny the utility of AI though. It's a powerful accelerant to a lot of processes. For example, for a computer museum I was helping out trying to parse some 45-year old ancient aerospace CAD/CAM related files to see if we could convert them to a modern format. It took GPT-4 no time at all to figure the syntax out- a terse irregular stream of un-documented, all numeric data representing triangle mesh vertex coordinates and vertex indices, and some cryptic codes that contained instructions for instancing, scaling and rotating objects. After another half hour with GPT-4 and some back and forth fiddling with normal inversion logic we had a working python-based file converter that could turn the old file format into modern STLs and OBJ files that could open in Blender without issues. I felt augmented as if I had a clever, tireless and possibly coke powered research assistant writing this code for me. The conversational flow was good and understanding was straightforward. The final result exactly what was needed.

I've also used GPT to build libraries for simulation and data analysis work.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I find copilot kind of useful as a Software Engineer sometimes but every time someone goes "Heh, it's going to replace your job soon, techchud. :smuggo:" all I can do is laugh.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Part of the reason the WGA went on strike was because deep down they knew that AI could pump out a seasons worth of scripts for NCIS:Kansas City in 2.3 seconds and people would still lap that poo poo up.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

zedprime posted:

Medical doctors have already been using "AI" for like 10 years. If you have a digital chart, your doctor has been inputting symptoms and diagnoses and a robot has been churning through differential diagnoses and validating treatment plans.

…??? No???

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

computers driving trains? so unsafe.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

For example, for a computer museum I was helping out trying to parse some 45-year old ancient aerospace CAD/CAM related files to see if we could convert them to a modern format. It took GPT-4 no time at all to figure the syntax out- a terse irregular stream of un-documented, all numeric data representing triangle mesh vertex coordinates and vertex indices, and some cryptic codes that contained instructions for instancing, scaling and rotating objects. After another half hour with GPT-4 and some back and forth fiddling with normal inversion logic we had a working python-based file converter that could turn the old file format into modern STLs and OBJ files that could open in Blender without issues. I felt augmented as if I had a clever, tireless and possibly coke powered research assistant writing this code for me. The conversational flow was good and understanding was straightforward. The final result exactly what was needed.

I've also used GPT to build libraries for simulation and data analysis work.

THAT is loving awesome.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are you saying chart workflows don't give differential and treatment plan recommendations, or do you have a problem with calling those recommendations intelligent?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ah the medical understander has logged back on

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

ah the medical understander has logged back on

Lmao

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
As a person interested in visual arts working in that area with most of my social circle there too, AI makes me very depressed and want to live the rest of my life in an isolated cabin in the woods with no power or access to technology more modern than the year 1940.