Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

in deus ex if you dont merge with helios ur a fuckin idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

khwarezm posted:

As a person interested in visual arts working in that area with most of my social circle there too, AI makes me very depressed and want to live the rest of my life in an isolated cabin in the woods with no power or access to technology more modern than the year 1940.

Tireless eyes of tin and plastic will find your settlement.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Tireless eyes of tin and plastic will find your settlement.
Thought you were talking about an ambulance chaser lawyer Terminator and for a moment I understood pure terror.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

AI is a great way for executives to avoid responsibility for anything.

"The accident was no one's fault that you can prove everyone was just following the legally compliant process" but add "and all the decisions were made by The Ay Eye, so who are you holding liable?'

Kick a cool $1m to the family or w/e I'm going home

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

zedprime posted:

Thought you were talking about an ambulance chaser lawyer Terminator and for a moment I understood pure terror.

wait, you're entitled to compensation

!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

ah the medical understander has logged back on

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
One potentially legit use case I'd like to see is an AI for language learners to practice speaking with. It doesn't matter if it hallucinates since the content of the conversations is irrelevant. But if nothing else, GPT is pretty good at being grammatically correct. Of course I'll probably have to wait a few years while the industry makes a billion useless products first.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Novo posted:

One potentially legit use case I'd like to see is an AI for language learners to practice speaking with. It doesn't matter if it hallucinates since the content of the conversations is irrelevant. But if nothing else, GPT is pretty good at being grammatically correct. Of course I'll probably have to wait a few years while the industry makes a billion useless products first.
I am an ignorant English only speaker so I am going off hearsay from news articles but it's my understanding English GPT is an outlier, strong only on the sheer size of English content you can steal on the internet. Compared to English, even other big languages have small wells to pull from, often tainted by older machine translations or discount translator services putting a bad front end on a website that is English originally. If that's the case then it's also expected to only get worse as people treat other language models as good enough and perpetuate more garbled results.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
About 15 years ago I visited Toyota's headquarters in the city of, er, Toyota in Aichi Prefecture. I got a tour of the factory and I was greatly impressed by the robotic assembly line and just-in-time logistics systems which were very modern for the time able to handle a number of different vehicle models on the same line, Very cool.

At the end of the tour though they presented the most ridiculous and dystopian thing I'd ever seen - a (bolted down) humanoid robot emerged from an enclosure in the middle of the lobby. In one hand it held a trumpet, which it moved to connect with a round mouth-analog aperture in its face, and then it started playing a trumpet song. I have absolutely no recollection of what the song was or how well it was playing. On a large screen in the lobby they showed a video with aspirational future visions for how Toyota would augment and enrich our lives, and apparently that vision involved trumpet playing robots everywhere. One scene had such a robot serenading a romantic japanese couple by a lakeside with Mount Fuji in the background. In another scene a similar trumpet robot was playing at what looked like a scenic town in Italy or Spain.

Toyota had just given us a tour with hundreds of actual practical industrial robots performing fast, complex and competent vehicle assembly work and the loving trumpet robot was the thing they wanted us to remember as their pledge for an augmented high tech future. A future in which robots have freed human musicians from the terrible burden of having to play music.

The more I see of the generative AI bullshit, the more it completes the picture. None of us be able to enjoy paid creative work.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Maudib Arakkis posted:

It’s not going to change the world or even do anything useful, right looks like the Internet of things from 10 years ago?

Just like IoT today, only rich people with nothing but time and money are truly going g to use it as intended. When I did residential IT, lots of wealthy households had bought into all the mesh interconnected smart home poo poo. Same for AI. For us peasants, not so much, and personally, I think that's a good thing.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://youtu.be/6fctULDctuA

This thing? I think it's cute.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

frumpykvetchbot posted:

The more I see of the generative AI bullshit, the more it completes the picture. None of us be able to enjoy paid creative work.

And no one able to enjoy true creative work because they've never experienced it, have no context for it, and have only been trained to appreciate autogenerated trope remix Content.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

id like to see a computer start a thermonuclear war

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

id like to see a computer start a thermonuclear war

they'd rather play chess

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

what if OP meant this

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ChatGPT is a toy and "A.I" is bubble hysteria in the same way NFTs were 3ish years ago.

I have no doubt that there are artificial intelligence systems being developed behind the scenes that are impressive - maybe even scary. But some bullshit where you type into a prompt online is keys being jangled in front of your face to make Silicon Valley more money.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 11, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

ChatGPT is a toy and "A.I" is bubble hysteria in the same way NFTs were 3ish years ago.

I have no doubt that there are artificial intelligence systems being developed behind the scenes that are impressive - maybe even scary. But some bullshit where you type into a prompt online is keys being jangled in front of your face to make Silicon Valley more money.

i dont think this is really a good take or comparison tbh

i dont think GPT4 itself is going to change everything, but i think its going to open doors to other AI things happening, and it certainly will make people more comfortable and aware of AI interactions. AI can actually do things besides exist. NFTs were never going to do anything for anybody

people arent going to stop working on AI models anytime soon regardless of whatever bubble exists or even pops

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

khwarezm posted:

As a person interested in visual arts working in that area with most of my social circle there too, AI makes me very depressed and want to live the rest of my life in an isolated cabin in the woods with no power or access to technology more modern than the year 1940.

And yet your username is the origin of the word "algorithm"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

And yet your username is the origin of the word "algorithm"

curious!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Worf posted:

i dont think GPT4 itself is going to change everything, but i think its going to open doors to other AI things happening, and it certainly will make people more comfortable and aware of AI interactions. AI can actually do things besides exist. NFTs were never going to do anything for anybody

people arent going to stop working on AI models anytime soon regardless of whatever bubble exists or even pops

There's a difference between actual research work done to advance artificial intelligence and shiny made-for-public-consumption bullshit like ChatGPT. I'm not totally discounting what those models can do; in relatively limited use cases they're fairly impressive. But I'm highly skeptical of the more hysterical claims, like ChatGPT or whatever "replacing writers". People are already getting sick of AI-generated garbage and if I'm not mistaken, these models are already partially "collapsing" because they get fed garbage input and produce garbage output.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's hard to tell if the collapsing is noteworthy because up until a new foundation is published the models are already collapsing on themselves and only work after a bunch of contract worker Africans hit it with a hammer for 1 cent a swing. The recent hiccups may be dead internet theory or they may just be what happens when you rush change for change sake to a subscriber base before you let your contractors hit it with enough hammers.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Always has been.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Worf posted:

Thanks for telling me you have no loving clue about AI, without actually saying it. :thumbsup:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

our local newspaper had this awful AI generated ad on the frontpage of the NYE edition

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think the funniest thing for me is that when people use AI images, they don't check them for flaws. If you use midjourney there are ways to fix certain things or ways to make better images but most of the people using them don't give a poo poo. They just want an image in roughly the shape they describe and good enough. Who cares if she has 6 fingers or a backwards foot? Nobody looking at it cares anyways I guess.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Blitter posted:

Thanks for telling me you have no loving clue about AI, without actually saying it. :thumbsup:

that's basically been the whole thread

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

that's basically been the whole thread

Extremely cool (unironically) but also very coherent industry

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
AI is linear algebra and if anyone tells you they understand linear algebra they are a liar.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Blitter posted:

explain how so

(you cant)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Novo posted:

I've been using ChatGPT to speed learn Russian. You can basically tailor your questions to learn exactly what you're currently trying to figure out without having to waste time flipping pages in some stupid book only to get frustrated when it's not even there. ChatGPT is to language learning what Amazon is to shopping malls in that regard. Why waste time looking for something that you probably aren't going to find at the mall or in a book, when you can basically brute-force your way to the exact thing you're looking for from the comfort of your desktop without any effort at all?

"Tell me how Russian cases work." "Tell me what every Russian prefix and suffix means." "Tell me about word morphology."

edit: proofreading :eng101:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 11, 2024

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Okay but how about

AI of the future posted:

Certainly! How would you like to learn Russian with a complimentary 50% off our partnered Duolingo subscription?

(Click here to decline not receiving this opt in to reject further subscription communications)

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
My workplace brought in an IT consultant that was supposed to be working on remote sensing of urban crop conditions. Basically, a drone would scan a garden in the city and then provide a row by row (or plant by plant) update on health, yield, disease, and other parameters. The consultant looked like Dennis Nedry if he grew a mullet and he starts his presentation by saying, Today, I will be talking about (leans forward, spreads hands and fingers out) AI. Then he leaned back in the chair with his hands folded over his stomach and smiled for a solid 30 seconds of silence before continuing. Needless to say he was hired for about a bajillion dollars because AI, while potential useful, is also a great way to sell a service to idiots.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't believe in general AI until we have a case where a computer believes they are right about something and argue the case, be proven wrong - knows they are wrong, but doubles down instead of admitting to it.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Worf posted:

explain how so

(you cant)

Certainly! The AI revolution is like a big adventure where the toy boxes (AI systems) learn and share ideas. Some people call it intellectual theft, but others think its just the toy boxes playing together and getting smarter.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Houle posted:

I don't believe in general AI until we have a case where a computer believes they are right about something and argue the case, be proven wrong - knows they are wrong, but doubles down instead of admitting to it.

So basically the post right after you

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
AI will never take my job at the dicksucking factory away

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
because the software i develop for them is too complex for AI to handle

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

AI will never take my job at the dicksucking factory away

One word my friend: teledildonics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

MoonshineWilly posted:

My workplace brought in an IT consultant that was supposed to be working on remote sensing of urban crop conditions. Basically, a drone would scan a garden in the city and then provide a row by row (or plant by plant) update on health, yield, disease, and other parameters. The consultant looked like Dennis Nedry if he grew a mullet and he starts his presentation by saying, Today, I will be talking about (leans forward, spreads hands and fingers out) AI. Then he leaned back in the chair with his hands folded over his stomach and smiled for a solid 30 seconds of silence before continuing. Needless to say he was hired for about a bajillion dollars because AI, while potential useful, is also a great way to sell a service to idiots.

Sounds like some serious under-delivering while this dude takes vacations is about to happen.