Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
As far as the tech itself the problem is right now there's room for some refinements but the way the structures work is kind of at a dead end. To get the next "big leap" is going to need a new approach, possibly entirely new. And that isn't to say it won't happen, but the current crop are "very neat" as the kids say but don't have a tonne of room above to grow.

I think the weirdest conversation I've had about AI was someone who was doomering about how it was going to ruin the world and people would just stop doing anything. When I attempted to explain I was told "the technical stuff is boring". Apparently I was meant to just go "yeah we're all doomed you're right" lol

The icing on the cake was they also firmly believed in simulation theory, and also worked in a super technical field they loved to ramble about so I don't even loving know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Guys in this thread would have told the wright brothers their invention was as far as flying technology could basically ever go.

Funnily enough they'd be right insofar as the Wright Brothers made their specific technology go as far as it could, and it took incredible innovations and new ideas and research and knowledge to do better.

There's no reason to assume someone won't create a better chatGPT or dalle or whatever, but it isn't going to happen with the current iteration of technology. If you've read the white papers (you have right?) there's not much room to improve the system in immediate or easy ways. Largely the data scraped being expanded massively was the largest contributing factor along with a lot of good, steady improvements to the detection systems and creation methodology.

This generation of "AI" is an improvement on previous generations, but not as much technically as you'd think and it's taken longer than people think. It's more "adding more polygons and light sources because you have better hardware" rather than "that nerd figured out fast inverse square root". We'll for sure have newer and better versions, but they're going to need to do a lot spicier things to make it happen, and it won't be like next year.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Counter argument is that the only people AI lowers the barrier to entry to creating art for is probably the people who shouldn't try making art.

I dunno, in the modern age there is not any actual barrier to entry, for most people in a non war-torn country anyway, and that AI is somewhat higher of a barrier, especially as time goes on and those VCs need the money back. Which seems to be forgotten that right now all these billion free or cheap services are doing so to try and establish a base, and it won't remain that way for terribly long. Hell, dall-e is removing the free credit system, and I'll be interested to see how many people drop off after that.

You can use this free* AI site to make art, for now, until paygating or it closes down. And you could have used the time and money to actually learn the craft, instead you are now a prompt engineer, potentially the only type of person less employable than a musician :v:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
LLMs seem impressive in the way people posting confidently on Reddit can look informed, it's very much a Gell-Mann amnesia thing.

quote:

The phenomenon of people trusting newspapers for topics which they are not knowledgeable about, despite recognizing them to be extremely inaccurate on certain topics which they are knowledgeable about.

So you ask an LLM or Redditor their opinion on something you know nothing about and the response is confident and filled with buzz words and you go "wow so smart!"

And then you ask about something you have a lot of knowledge on and you think "what the gently caress is this idiot even trying to say?"

But then you go back to "wow smart!" the moment the topic is stuff you don't know again. It's kind of fascinating.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I encourage everyone to try a conversation with chatGPT about a deeper aspect of a subject you are very knowledgeable about, because you probably aren't coming out out of it impressed, and tbh that says a lot to me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's funny that there's just some underlying foundational and structural issues with how these LLMs work, and if you read the white papers they even acknowledge them as issues that they hope will be solved. Like, later. By someone else.

The mad dash to pushing AI to everything is they need to make their money now, because the "next step" in AI is essentially rebuilding from scratch, because these are issues no one can fix, because they struggle to identify why it even happens. It's inherent.

But you can't sell what you currently have if you acknowledge that, so they rely on a nebulous "it will definitely be fixed soon" to any issues.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
In the most rudimentary version: ya ever notice that even tho you tell it to make a gal.with a blue hat it keeps forgetting either the blue, the hat or the gal? Now imagine that over a mini-dissertation in racism.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You know if you just search for like "lo-fi playlist" you'd get a billion of them. In something like Spotify you could even smash them all together. A thing you can do, right now. Thousands of hours of it. More coming out. You don't need AI to do a thing you can do right now.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
LLMs are a lot lot Augmented Reality in that there could actually be some credible use and practical applications with a much more narrow focus, but instead they're trying to cram it into every crevice they can and now it's useless.

There's a lot of use VR/AR could have in specific applications, especially for disabled persons and assistance for specific tasks, and LLMs could actually be used for similar purposes, refined and limited as a tool in a kit to get a job done.

Instead VR/AR revolves around "but my engagements" and LLMs are, well, all of what it is.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

zedprime posted:

Well well well, looks like you can start paying the job creators at the stock picture business or finding your own drat references.

Actually piracy is praxis so

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Spidder posted:

*AI does something incredible and almost magical*

Oh my goodness, can you please educate everyone (in detail) how amazing and magical it is? I'm sure it will be an amazing read.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you're dumb enough to engage with a post that bad as though there's a real sentient person behind it AI probably really is gonna blow your mind

I want to hear details come on I'm starving for content, this thread is so one sided.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's kind of funny that the idea of an AGI is heralded as an entity that works beyond our fathoming, but also lotta projection that it's gonna behave exactly like a human, with all the human flaws that come with it.

Oh, it operates above our knowledge, but also experiences envy I guess. Sure, makes sense. Maybe people should just admit they're copying the Bible and replacing "god" with "AI".

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

webmeister posted:

Didn’t know Marc Andreessen was a goon

I don't know what this is supposed to mean, I don't keep track of the beliefs of every mildly notable person in tech.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

You dont know who Mr. Netscape is!?

Wait, were they in Mr Robot as a side character or something?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's pretty funny how much the vibes of everything feels exactly like when everyone was pushing for 3D movies and everything lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

yeah but you didn't invent netscape

Without netscape the internet wouldn't exist, at all, period. So that's even more points for them!

And if anything tells you that it would have still existed they're LYING and trying to steal your credit card.