Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I have found a single thing I like ai for:

my dentist's office gave me a new toothbrush that's tied to an ai that monitors your brushing habits and can give helpful suggestions.

It's a really good idea, and a good use of a pattern- detecting technology, even if I'm certain the app is stealing data like a bandit.

Personally, though, I'm still iffy on it being used for diagnostics. One of the big drives forward for the tech was medical in nature- scientists were training it to detect cancers. But early on, they had the issue of garbage in, garbage out- because it had been trained originally on images of tumors with rulers near them, the machine did what it was told and got really good at weeding through pictures of cancer with rulers.

While we've advanced beyond that, the issue of garbage in, garbage out isn't one that can be divorced from any computer. This wouldn't be an issue if the computer diagnostics were guaranteed to have oversight. Human doctors looking at it can catch issues, and contact the manufacturers if they notice consistent issues. But that's not going to happen. If you look into the history of medical technology, it takes a horrific amount of human suffering and death to force manufacturers to do what's right, and usually only after public outcry.

Not to mention the chronic overwork of medical staff and the push to be ever-faster behind the scenes. Exhausted humans will inevitably opt for simpler options if presented, and not follow up because they're already overwhelmed. If it becomes easier for an exhausted doctor to defer to a machine, then things will be missed, which isn't going to be ok in medicine. The human body is an inconsistent shitshow, and even the placement of organs can be general at best. My own appendix was in the wrong place, and my wisdom teeth are coming in goddamned sideways. The dataset necessary to prepare an ai for the endless weird ways our bodies can gently caress us is staggering, and perhaps impossible to adequately gather.

tl;dr:
An ai that can say "you missed your molars, bro" is a far cry away from one I would trust with my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU