Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

syntaxfunction posted:

I encourage everyone to try a conversation with chatGPT about a deeper aspect of a subject you are very knowledgeable about, because you probably aren't coming out out of it impressed, and tbh that says a lot to me.

I want to echo this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

The fact that so many people have to insist that AI is useful is all the proof you should need that it isn't. A hammer doesn't need anyone to argue its merits.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

AlmightyBob posted:

yep it sucks lol, and then there's a lot of ai generated text too when you're trying to find like how to fix a computer problem

This is the thing I hate most about the terminal state of web search. I used to be able to look up just about any computer issue I had and reasonably expect to get an answer or at least pointed in the right direction. It feels like 95% or more of the results are SEO/AI garbage. These days, if I get a correct answer to a computer issue from a website, it's probably by accident.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Insanite posted:

It’s frustrating when your computer starts and the power light comes on, but all you see is a black screen. Some reasons you might encounter a blank screen include:

- Connection or power problems
- Loose components (such as RAM)
- Faulty computer hardware
- Corrupted graphics drivers
- Incorrect BIOS configuration

In this post, we’ll go over common fixes for display problems with step-by-step instructions.

Well that's an interesting way to find out I probably need a pacemaker.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Um this essentially describes my entire career should I be worried

Do you work in America? Being worried about your job stability should be the default state.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Alternatively, this could be the new get out of jail free card where every time you get busted for heinous poo poo you blame it on those drat AIs

This is what my big fear is about deepfakes becoming trivially easy to produce: not that people start believing the fakes, but that they start doubting the legitimacy of real proof.

We were already like two-thirds the way there already, and this can't be helping.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Busters posted:

The idea was it had to be mostly water, and not a bodily fluid, so not blood. I'm sure you could come up with some convoluted emergency situation where pee pee piss was the only possible liquid, but it seems less likely than Gatorade.

I don't know about you, but I'm not walking around all day with Gatorade in my balls.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

For real! You know they take vow of celibacy, right? You think someone in a position of trust and authority would just break the rules like that?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

SettingSun posted:

DO NOT look at anyone's hands. Or rather, the things supposed to be hands.

God almighty I should have listened.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Does anybody else feel like the entire world is just phoning it in? Especially the people who really, really shouldn't? AI has delivered on only a tiny fraction of its promises (often only partially) and the assumption of delivering the rest is based purely on hype?

It's completely hosed up that this loving alpha test is being sold to people as "perfect and still getting better" when it has repeatedly demonstrated that it's still barely above the threshold of passability. And yet here we are, watching as millions upon millions of people are happily turning over control to something worse because lovely and effortless is more desirable than actually taking responsibility for doing poo poo correctly.

I'm learning Python for a project at my job, and I'm absolutely livid with my manager continually pressing me to use ChatGPT. Like... no. I'm a beginner. I won't be able to identify the mistakes, and I'm not going to learn jack poo poo by trying to bug-test poo poo I don't understand. This is for connecting an attendance app to a database for government reporting. If this fucks up, it's going to be a massive shitshow trying to remediate, especially if I have no loving clue what's actually wrong.

But, yeah, condescending to me about doing things "the hard way." I understand that experienced coders use AI productively for really basic poo poo, but all the AI-generated code he's sent me so far, about 20% of it has been salvageable if I'm being generous. I don't want to put my name on something a machine did for me without any understanding of how it actually works. But, yeah, condescend to me about wanting to actually learn something as "doing things the hard way."

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Chocobo posted:

You just need to put weights in cheap poo poo to give them the impression of quality.

I was thinking about this a little while ago. When I was a kid and I saw some version of a common product that was sleek and shiny, I immediately thought that it must be really well made. Today, it instantly sends up red flags and makes me wonder what the stylish presentation is meant to cover up.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

pixaal posted:

how many of that 140,000 were bought by Hollywood?

Not enough to keep the downtown KCPD from riding around on them like a bunch of dorkasses throughout most of the 2010s. You'd think an institution so desperate to be perceived as macho as the cops wouldn't want to be seen on one, but I guess they're more lazy than they are insecure, so I guess the order goes:

1) racist
2) lazy
3) insecure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Livo posted:

Just to expand further, here's a delightful recent article on the subject, with quotes from the US Army software acquisition on how poisoned LLMs could hallucinate wrong data or be compromised in other ways, which would make responding to sudden changes in battlefield situations rather problematic.

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/04/poisoned-data-could-wreck-ais-in-wartime-warns-army-software-chief/

Crazy how when they actually put it in the hands of people whose responsibility is to determine its fitness for purpose rather than uncritically produce puff pieces and sound bites, all of a sudden all the obvious flaws become obvious.