Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A lot of big corporations have billions of dollars invested in it so it is at bare minimum going to ensure they are going to be powerfully incentivized to boost the monkey-jpeg-buying morons who think it's going to change the world for the foreseeable future

much in the same way that IoT is passé and everyone knows that poo poo sucks but every year it gets more difficult to buy a non-"smart" TV or a fridge that doesn't have wifi connectivity and a camera for some goddamn reason yes

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

people that think that ai is gonna replace hella jobs - remember that most large corporations have an enormously bloated middle management/bureaucracy layer that is staffed almost exclusively by fake job havers which doesnt even need ai to displace them, and yet they are still employed

these are the exact guys who are excitedly burbling about how many employees they can lay off rn

it's not a speculative thing, a bunch of companies are already mass sacking more or less random positions to replace them with a toy because as far as the executives can tell they look the same and cost a bit less. it's just that outside specific headline-worthy stuff like crisis hotlines replacing people with chatbots that tell people to hurt themselves it's gonna take like a year to see whether it worked out and the proles are indeed obsolete or that was a dumb move and we're going to see a massive economic crash as all those businesses fail at once

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Worf posted:

Also if we're being honest there's a much bigger shortage of doctors and medical staff then there are for people that can work in a call center lol

So I absolutely think that the financial incentive is there based on the size of those markets and the amount of money including insurance companies thats a part of the industries

And in America which is basically the only country that matters honestly, they would absolutely cut out the middleman of having a doctor and just have an AI interpreter/customer service representative and some nurse technicians as soon as they could

It's not a market that has traditional competition, there's no hoteling theory that dictates your customer service needs to be better than the next one at your emergency room especially as these things get more corporatized

there's still gonna be a doctor in there somewhere for regulatory reasons but tbh I don't understand what part chatgpt would even play in the traditional 'patient self-diagnoses via WebMD, doctor either rubberstamps self-diagnosis without further examination or accuses patient of drugseeking depending on the weather at the DEA this month' process. presumably the thing isn't sewing up stitches but who the hell knows what people think it can do

basically every other job in that list that isn't harassing people with advertising garbage has already been replaced by some kind of self-service automation, why not getting a prescription lmao

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 11, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

cruft posted:

R&D teams didn't, like, close the briefcase with a smile and then go home when ChatGPT was released.

mm yes and which EA cult guy do you feel is the best candidate to give all our money to to ward off/appease Skynet this time

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

when exactly did the Rothko chapel become the Infinite Jest of guys who wanna be perceived as aesthetes, do you think?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

kntfkr posted:

there's nothing wrong with infinite jest!!!! :mad:

Nor with Green and Tangerine on Red, it is legit beautiful one-on-one in a well-curated space. It's also very easy to see how someone could be in its presence and not become an instant convert to the transformative power of Art, and notable that nobody gets like this about any of the thousands of contemporary living artists working in the same techniques and ideas, producing near-identical paintings for 60 years. Cause it's not really about the painting at all, is it?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 22, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Decorating my walls with the sample pictures they include with the frame's packaging at the craft store

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's gotta be a real, purpose-built piss visor though, last time i tried midjourney it kept giving me some sad fucker taking a leak on a sneezeguard

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hang on gpt4 is acting up I'll have my little essay about how I'm being a mentally ill internet communist the correct way, unlike all you posers, in a minute

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Basically 100% of chat-based support lines now, and everyone's abruptly shutting down their phone ones or announcing 4+ hour hold times purely coincidentally

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

well there's your problem what kind of hosed up paperclip have you been making out of aluminum

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Australia just the other week when a guy killed several people at a shopping mall we had a news network identify a completely innocent guy as the killer and broadcast his name and photo nationwide: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-26/man-wrongly-identified-bondi-junction-attacker-seven-settles/103772376

He sued the gently caress out of them and they immediately settled out of court for a undisclosed sum, but it would have been an astronomical amount of money

Can't possibly have been enough, even being identified on the news as having been present at a mass shooting means a lifetime of harassment from conspiracy cranks now

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Looking forward to the first AI cult.

In what way would that differ from the Yudkowsky poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Time_pants posted:

Does anybody else feel like the entire world is just phoning it in? Especially the people who really, really shouldn't? AI has delivered on only a tiny fraction of its promises (often only partially) and the assumption of delivering the rest is based purely on hype?

It's completely hosed up that this loving alpha test is being sold to people as "perfect and still getting better" when it has repeatedly demonstrated that it's still barely above the threshold of passability. And yet here we are, watching as millions upon millions of people are happily turning over control to something worse because lovely and effortless is more desirable than actually taking responsibility for doing poo poo correctly.

I'm learning Python for a project at my job, and I'm absolutely livid with my manager continually pressing me to use ChatGPT. Like... no. I'm a beginner. I won't be able to identify the mistakes, and I'm not going to learn jack poo poo by trying to bug-test poo poo I don't understand. This is for connecting an attendance app to a database for government reporting. If this fucks up, it's going to be a massive shitshow trying to remediate, especially if I have no loving clue what's actually wrong.

But, yeah, condescending to me about doing things "the hard way." I understand that experienced coders use AI productively for really basic poo poo, but all the AI-generated code he's sent me so far, about 20% of it has been salvageable if I'm being generous. I don't want to put my name on something a machine did for me without any understanding of how it actually works. But, yeah, condescend to me about wanting to actually learn something as "doing things the hard way."

Years before the AI poo poo I'd regularly interview at companies whose entire business model would turn out to be "outsource all coding work to some Pakistani guy we only know the first name of, retain 2-3 domestic engineers to remove all the malware from whatever comes back, pass it on to fortune 500 clients for $$$$". I'd usually get an offer because their guys missed uhhhhhh a lot of malware but can't imagine where you'd have to be in life to actually accept that offer

It's a little sad AI is going to take Ahmed X's job away I imagine selling American sleazeballs garbage represented a way more meaningful amount of money in Karachi than the Bay area

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 2, 2024

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Basically every US business I can think of that seriously attempted to compete on better products, vs. the worst cheapest one possible, went bankrupt years ago so can't blame em lol. You don't sell Americans "good"

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If you're dumb enough to engage with a post that bad as though there's a real sentient person behind it AI probably really is gonna blow your mind