Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
more like ificial intelligence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Poohs Packin posted:

And Moby Dick is a book about a whale.

Do yourself a favour and see some of his works in person. Typing "Rothko" into GIS gives you an idea of what his paintings look like, but doesnt really convey the feeling of them.

I know this seems wanky but its sort of his whole thing. He set out to paint emotions, with the purpose of creating a greater understanding and empathy between people. Its incredibly ambitious but he succeeded , despite his paintings not assuming recognizable forms.

And it wasnt by mistake. He employed innovative techniques to modify the properties of his paints and create finely layered textures and depth. This is why people describe his paintings as seeming alive. He didnt just apply a single color to a canvas and be done with it. None of this will come through on a phone screen or monitor.

Hes also a tragic figure because he was depressed, and took his own life. Someone who was so dedicated to deepening our understanding of each other and was at the same time so disturbed and distressed. He couldnt make himself better but still tried to do for others.

If thats not moving on some level, well, then I dont really know what to say.

Finally, I get that the aesthetic has been co-opted by corporate spaces for being relatively inoffensive. Corporate offices also have Banksy prints or those horrible graffiti monkey wearing a crown "street art" paintings.

This isnt the fault of the artist and divorces the work from its context and intention. Not to get all Marxist, but capital subsuming art is nothing new. This shouldnt be a criticism of the artist.

Personally, i love the aesthetic for its simplicity, depth, and richness. I understand that its not for everyone and thats fine.

i dont want such works to be perfectly replicated with advanced future 3d printers and used for corporate profit yet i do want star trek replicators to make me cheeseburgers whenever i want

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Poohs Packin posted:

Rule 42 of a trailer park Deanna Troi doing a feeder/mukbang stream next to a duct taped and rusty replicator surrounded by empty chocolate sundae dishes.

the longest sentence in the tamarian language, their most evocative cultural metaphor by far

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

List of the video winners: https://bleedingcool.com/pop-culture/pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon-competition-hit-by-ai-controversy/

This is showing how Fast Ai is changing the way people look at visual arts.

To me, comparing those two videos is like a comparing Mcdonalds-Burger to homemade-Pasta, now.

In the past when there wasn't that much art, it was easier for the one with better quality to win regardless of concept.

The guitar one isn't that great, but it clears a bar of quality enough that the idea of a guitar zooming with morphing parts and other instruments is neat in concept.
The execution to me looks boring because I have seen a lot of AI stuff like that

But then also the Execution of psychedelic mind trip video is also boring because I have seen a lot of LSD/ Acid/ DTM / psychedelic videos in tv and and movies.

---
Video of some guy doing a countdown of psychedelic countdown in tvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3vafNHBElM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OrWI9pydxA&list=PLcZPznpZ-L-hO9I1-HROCLS5NMCfggg4C&index=25 - and pink floyd's the will animation
---
So it's easy to understand why Somebody could choose the lower quality video / the Mcdonald-burger, it's because it is more line with what the person wants.

maybe we should all take more psychedelics to fix this ai situation

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
babies need to only see the real world until their tiny little baby brains are developed enough to handle fake world

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Gutcruncher posted:

I like to think after the dust settles and the sparkle of AI wears off, the only companies left standing will be the ones that weren’t stupid enough to sink money into it.

Alas, tis merely a dream

see crypto/blockchain hype was long enough after the dotcom bubble for people to forget but its still super fresh and current so these corps are likely taking steps to ensure the same thing doesnt happen again. the main step being use their monopolies to force web and mobile ai poo poo to be a thing and not let it die even if it sucks because they can and the sunk cost fallacy. companies that actually use ML for useful things, whos to say if their models will be viable. i dont really know what im talking about though, but its a narrative that sounds real enough. get used to that because the internet is gonna be flooded with similarly hallucinated comments for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 'wisdom of the market' is literally just the vanity projects of rich assholes and the governments they own protecting them

governments in this scenario being much like the put-upon child of an unstable alcoholic who has to try with all their little kid might to keep daddy from hurting himself and them and right now the us government is a kindergartner. we need at least a precocious middle schooler level of intervention here