Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I don't really think about AI much, and probably won't until it does something more useful like suck my balls or cook me dinner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I think MDs will be among the first to get replaced by AI

Idk how many years of car mechanics we have left either, that seems like another easy one to replace.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tarkus posted:

How are mds and mechanics easy to replace? We're still a long ways away from properly embodying these models.

Which jobs are going to be replaced before those

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

When's the last time you've been in a hospital in America lmao

I absolutely think that the cognitive functions required to diagnose something are going to be replaced by a low paid employee plugging something into a computer

And then in the case of vehicles etc where you can just have a scan of where every component is with minimal variation, I think that will be probably one of the easier ones to replace wholesale eventually

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 11, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Also if we're being honest there's a much bigger shortage of doctors and medical staff then there are for people that can work in a call center lol

So I absolutely think that the financial incentive is there based on the size of those markets and the amount of money including insurance companies thats a part of the industries

And in America which is basically the only country that matters honestly, they would absolutely cut out the middleman of having a doctor and just have an AI interpreter/customer service representative and some nurse technicians as soon as they could

It's not a market that has traditional competition, there's no hoteling theory that dictates your customer service needs to be better than the next one at your emergency room especially as these things get more corporatized

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Rad-daddio posted:

ah, got it! I've seen that in some of my responses too

The only time I really leaned on AI was to get Arduino code to make a stepper motor turn on and off randomly. It worked great for that, but I don't think swaths of embedded systems programmers are going to be out of work from it.

That's pretty cool tho

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MDs have an extremely high barrier to entry and an extremely high quit rate

call center staffers etc can work in their underwear at home with a GED

i dont think its easier to replace doctors than, ie, call center people, i think it will simply be 1) seen as necessary 2) backed by an industry with the financial incentive to do it 3) an industry where a vast majority of people cant shop the competition

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

zedprime posted:

Medical doctors have already been using "AI" for like 10 years. If you have a digital chart, your doctor has been inputting symptoms and diagnoses and a robot has been churning through differential diagnoses and validating treatment plans.

The big AI revolution for doctors on the horizon? Instead of enumerating symptoms for ingestion by the robot they can just use their narrative notes.

yes and this is a thing that will soon be relegated to more people that arent MDs

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dixville posted:

Radiologists could potentially be replaced by AI. I'm only familiar with the veterinary side but there's already a service that uses AI to interpret rads through Antech.

No, pets will just be replaced by AI

You’ve all seen the dog robots it’s not going to be long before they miniaturize it and make a cat

It won’t be too difficult to program a robot to jump on the counter and knock things off while it stares at you

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The AI is going to look at my post history, and refuse to be my friend 😞

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pixaal posted:

What if you are all AI?

Certainly! I can see why you would say that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Not sure that I would really call artificial intelligence a buzz word for machine learning, I think machine learning is pretty commonly accepted as a part of artificial intelligence by definition

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

20 Blunts posted:

i mean AI is really just a surveillance apparatus right

Yeah, but everything is a surveillance apparatus

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what if OP meant this

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

ChatGPT is a toy and "A.I" is bubble hysteria in the same way NFTs were 3ish years ago.

I have no doubt that there are artificial intelligence systems being developed behind the scenes that are impressive - maybe even scary. But some bullshit where you type into a prompt online is keys being jangled in front of your face to make Silicon Valley more money.

i dont think this is really a good take or comparison tbh

i dont think GPT4 itself is going to change everything, but i think its going to open doors to other AI things happening, and it certainly will make people more comfortable and aware of AI interactions. AI can actually do things besides exist. NFTs were never going to do anything for anybody

people arent going to stop working on AI models anytime soon regardless of whatever bubble exists or even pops

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Blitter posted:

Thanks for telling me you have no loving clue about AI, without actually saying it. :thumbsup:

explain how so

(you cant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Houle posted:

I don't believe in general AI until we have a case where a computer believes they are right about something and argue the case, be proven wrong - knows they are wrong, but doubles down instead of admitting to it.

So basically the post right after you