Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
I hate how AI is going to increase the divide between rich and poor, and a lot of people's lives have been ruined and many more will at least be disrupted and lose any chance of long term planning. hope against hope that the abundant accessibility of it will at least mean that some people currently disadvantaged are going to find ways to improve their situations. But of course along the way we have to slog through so many inane get-rich-quick scams powered by AI and I think we've only seen the peak of that iceberg.

It would be dishonest to deny the utility of AI though. It's a powerful accelerant to a lot of processes. For example, for a computer museum I was helping out trying to parse some 45-year old ancient aerospace CAD/CAM related files to see if we could convert them to a modern format. It took GPT-4 no time at all to figure the syntax out- a terse irregular stream of un-documented, all numeric data representing triangle mesh vertex coordinates and vertex indices, and some cryptic codes that contained instructions for instancing, scaling and rotating objects. After another half hour with GPT-4 and some back and forth fiddling with normal inversion logic we had a working python-based file converter that could turn the old file format into modern STLs and OBJ files that could open in Blender without issues. I felt augmented as if I had a clever, tireless and possibly coke powered research assistant writing this code for me. The conversational flow was good and understanding was straightforward. The final result exactly what was needed.

I've also used GPT to build libraries for simulation and data analysis work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

khwarezm posted:

As a person interested in visual arts working in that area with most of my social circle there too, AI makes me very depressed and want to live the rest of my life in an isolated cabin in the woods with no power or access to technology more modern than the year 1940.

Tireless eyes of tin and plastic will find your settlement.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
About 15 years ago I visited Toyota's headquarters in the city of, er, Toyota in Aichi Prefecture. I got a tour of the factory and I was greatly impressed by the robotic assembly line and just-in-time logistics systems which were very modern for the time — able to handle a number of different vehicle models on the same line, Very cool.

At the end of the tour though they presented the most ridiculous and dystopian thing I'd ever seen - a (bolted down) humanoid robot emerged from an enclosure in the middle of the lobby. In one hand it held a trumpet, which it moved to connect with a round mouth-analog aperture in its face, and then it started playing a trumpet song. I have absolutely no recollection of what the song was or how well it was playing. On a large screen in the lobby they showed a video with aspirational future visions for how Toyota would augment and enrich our lives, and apparently that vision involved trumpet playing robots everywhere. One scene had such a robot serenading a romantic japanese couple by a lakeside with Mount Fuji in the background. In another scene a similar trumpet robot was playing at what looked like a scenic town in Italy or Spain.

Toyota had just given us a tour with hundreds of actual practical industrial robots performing fast, complex and competent vehicle assembly work and the loving trumpet robot was the thing they wanted us to remember as their pledge for an augmented high tech future. A future in which robots have freed human musicians from the terrible burden of having to play music.

The more I see of the generative AI bullshit, the more it completes the picture. None of us be able to enjoy paid creative work.