Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It's interesting how "AI" (a buzzword for "Machine Learning"), which itself is a fascinating and capable technology, transitioned the industry very suddenly on a very sharply collapsing bubble, and how rich a bunch of idiots suddenly got and how many people got laid off for, at the end of the day, no good reason.

IMO expect a lot of comedy as people who oversold it have to suddenly (don't) work very hard to try to deliver on over-promises where ML for a task or industry doesn't exist, and droves of absolutely dumb pitchmen who have very little idea what they're doing with the technology itself but are all trying to sell education and advantage while gnashing at the teeth for million-dollar contracts they can't program themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Worf posted:

Not sure that I would really call artificial intelligence a buzz word for machine learning, I think machine learning is pretty commonly accepted as a part of artificial intelligence by definition

Pardon my flawed understanding and explanation here, but in my opinion, "AI" means an entity in the "General AI" sense that we talk to, interact, can socialize with, but are also well-trained to capably handle a wide variety of tasks. While SOME of that appears available (especially in the interactivity sense), it seems far from the fantasy of 100% handling everything in our day-to-day lives, both in the clerical and physical robotically-augmented senses, and there's plenty of work to still be done.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else perceive a possible hazard of compartmentalization due to commercialization, like above? Like, one company has a great toothbrush "AI," and a completely different one will have a great XRay AI?

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 11, 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

zedprime posted:

Paul Rudd is going to be seen as a prophet who foresaw the true face of generative AI when asking for nude Tayne.

Can I get some hat wobble

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

For example, for a computer museum I was helping out trying to parse some 45-year old ancient aerospace CAD/CAM related files to see if we could convert them to a modern format. It took GPT-4 no time at all to figure the syntax out- a terse irregular stream of un-documented, all numeric data representing triangle mesh vertex coordinates and vertex indices, and some cryptic codes that contained instructions for instancing, scaling and rotating objects. After another half hour with GPT-4 and some back and forth fiddling with normal inversion logic we had a working python-based file converter that could turn the old file format into modern STLs and OBJ files that could open in Blender without issues. I felt augmented as if I had a clever, tireless and possibly coke powered research assistant writing this code for me. The conversational flow was good and understanding was straightforward. The final result exactly what was needed.

I've also used GPT to build libraries for simulation and data analysis work.

THAT is loving awesome.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

that's basically been the whole thread

Extremely cool (unironically) but also very coherent industry

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

MoonshineWilly posted:

My workplace brought in an IT consultant that was supposed to be working on remote sensing of urban crop conditions. Basically, a drone would scan a garden in the city and then provide a row by row (or plant by plant) update on health, yield, disease, and other parameters. The consultant looked like Dennis Nedry if he grew a mullet and he starts his presentation by saying, “Today, I will be talking about… (leans forward, spreads hands and fingers out) AI.” Then he leaned back in the chair with his hands folded over his stomach and smiled for a solid 30 seconds of silence before continuing. Needless to say he was hired for about a bajillion dollars because AI, while potential useful, is also a great way to sell a service to idiots.

Sounds like some serious under-delivering while this dude takes vacations is about to happen.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Poor AI, came into being at a time when the middle class dissolved into the lower class due to human-side greed, and there's not really prospects of generational wealth anymore.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It's awesome that the technology is getting pushed, but I wouldn't trust overpromising and under developing sales teams to be carefully balancing success vs. the flamethrower war crimes of downsizing and socioeconomic fallout. Discouraged veteran oldbies NOT wanting to train their AI replacement are going to cause the general pyramid of professional understanding to tesseract, we WILL lose knowledge in that churn, and likely enough the existing corporate monarchical structure will remain largely unchanged and unchecked in the same colors it already is despite its promises of leaning and becoming more dynamic.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Me, upset to a point of logorrhea about capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Jelly posted:

This prompted me to check and see if Mapquest still existed (it does, and its plastered with ads). That's quite a throwback.

Google Maps has been out for long enough that there's no way that this is anything but a backfire burn with a pleasant PR smile on it.