Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Consumers seem to select for cheaper and shittier in most cases and LLMs are great for that, so, a good engine to drive the further degeneration of society. Also if you assign an AI to set prices it has even less moral compunctions than the sleaziest of humans to say "just keep raising the price of everything, that will cause us to make more money", and they make pricing collusion more deniable. That said it feels like they might proverbially take what's left of the internet out behind the shed so maybe it will be a wash.

Calling them "AI" at all, evoking truly intelligent machines from scifi like Asimov or Terminator or whatever, seems like pure hype. I haven't seen anything that makes it look like they'll ever be able to do more than regurgitate remixes of things humans have already done, so the idea that they're some "next step" in the march of scientific progress seems doubtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

Counter argument is that the only people AI lowers the barrier to entry to creating art for is probably the people who shouldn't try making art.

I dunno, in the modern age there is not any actual barrier to entry, for most people in a non war-torn country anyway, and that AI is somewhat higher of a barrier, especially as time goes on and those VCs need the money back. Which seems to be forgotten that right now all these billion free or cheap services are doing so to try and establish a base, and it won't remain that way for terribly long. Hell, dall-e is removing the free credit system, and I'll be interested to see how many people drop off after that.

You can use this free* AI site to make art, for now, until paygating or it closes down. And you could have used the time and money to actually learn the craft, instead you are now a prompt engineer, potentially the only type of person less employable than a musician :v:

Yeah, the "democratization of art" angle was always ridiculously myopic but to be fair I'm not hearing it much these days.

Houle posted:

I'm not too concerned about AI in peer reviewed papers since capitalism already killed that industry with mounds and mounds of bullshit churned out due to needing to put out a paper and not actually having anything to say and literally copy paste pictures and diagrams from other papers and then did when called out on it.

It does seem like the state of academic publishing has been utterly dire for awhile now and this is just helping to expose it, so point for the LLMs I guess.

BoldFace posted:

Neither AI nor society will ever live up to your fiction-based standards.

My standard for intelligence is higher than "can remix media when prompted" :shrug:. Do you have a good one? Bonus points if it wasn't created post hoc to to match LLMs.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I genuinely don't know why people still use Google when better search engines - Brave, StartPage, even Duck Duck Go - exist. Not a criticism; it just sounds like Google search hasn't been worth it for a few years now.

Google.com is really easy to type into an address bar. I don't know what duck duck go was thinking.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like abstract art but I went to a big Rothko exhibit a few days ago and I was only like 40% feelin' it, to be honest. I'm more of Mondrian boy, the thing you have to realize is that he was working before MSPaint was invented.

It really is something to go to an art museum and see some abstract piece, think "this looks pretty modern, an aesthetic I'd associate with 1980-2000 time period", and then look at the date and see it's from 1912 or something. I tried to imagine what it would be like to view this kind of art when it debuted, and be one of the first people to see an aesthetic that was entirely unlike anything anyone had seen before. It would be like being one of the first people to, say, eat an orange. When you think about it in those terms it's pretty easy to understand why this kind of art was so influential. What's the 2024 version of that?

lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

From Ars Technica

AI... good?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

"Mapquest is almost perfected"

Imagining that glorious day when the boys down in the lab finally crack Mapquest.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol how easy it was to get this. people that think true ai is close are fuckign rubes

Hey now, we're probably less than a year away from people who have invested heavily in achieving AGI declaring we've achieved AGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Time_pants posted:

Does anybody else feel like the entire world is just phoning it in? Especially the people who really, really shouldn't? AI has delivered on only a tiny fraction of its promises (often only partially) and the assumption of delivering the rest is based purely on hype?

It's completely hosed up that this loving alpha test is being sold to people as "perfect and still getting better" when it has repeatedly demonstrated that it's still barely above the threshold of passability. And yet here we are, watching as millions upon millions of people are happily turning over control to something worse because lovely and effortless is more desirable than actually taking responsibility for doing poo poo correctly.

I'm learning Python for a project at my job, and I'm absolutely livid with my manager continually pressing me to use ChatGPT. Like... no. I'm a beginner. I won't be able to identify the mistakes, and I'm not going to learn jack poo poo by trying to bug-test poo poo I don't understand. This is for connecting an attendance app to a database for government reporting. If this fucks up, it's going to be a massive shitshow trying to remediate, especially if I have no loving clue what's actually wrong.

But, yeah, condescending to me about doing things "the hard way." I understand that experienced coders use AI productively for really basic poo poo, but all the AI-generated code he's sent me so far, about 20% of it has been salvageable if I'm being generous. I don't want to put my name on something a machine did for me without any understanding of how it actually works. But, yeah, condescend to me about wanting to actually learn something as "doing things the hard way."

Seems like with the end of cheap money most companies have given up on growth through making better products and outdoing the competition (when it exists) and instead are focusing on making their products cheaper and raising their prices. This sort of mission is not conducive to giving a poo poo.