Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did Boeing Kill A Guy
Yes
No
Unsure
Goku
View Results

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i just want to fly on an airplane without the fear of it falling apart midair like a contraption in Tears of the Kingdom when the battery runs out

If you're american you better get rich or Wright brothers yourself one.

If you've got a few grand and a pilot license you can register & build experimental aircraft as long as it's below a certain weight class & accept certain route restrictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i just want to fly on an airplane without the fear of it falling apart midair like a contraption in Tears of the Kingdom when the battery runs out

Have you considered a helicopter?

E: actually, on further examination...

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Boeing will hold a press conference and everyone will expect them to come clean but instead they announce that they're changing their name to Boeing! and all the reporters will stand up and clap and share value goes through the roof

Guys in dank basements planning the revolution throw their berets to floor but reluctantly respect the hustle

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

after they cheap out on the assembly and mounting of the new "!" on their buildings, half of Renton is burnt down in the ensuing fire

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If you're american you better get rich or Wright brothers yourself one.

If you've got a few grand and a pilot license you can register & build experimental aircraft as long as it's below a certain weight class & accept certain route restrictions

Groverplane when?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Icochet posted:

Boeing will hold a press conference and everyone will expect them to come clean but instead they announce that they're changing their name to Boeing! and all the reporters will stand up and clap and share value goes through the roof

Guys in dank basements planning the revolution throw their berets to floor but reluctantly respect the hustle

They will also immediately lobby for bailout money because the unexpected exclamation point costs will mean less money for shareholders

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

emSparkly posted:

Groverplane when?

Groeing planes

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

dervival posted:

after they cheap out on the assembly and mounting of the new "!" on their buildings, half of Renton is burnt down in the ensuing fire

a whole $500 loss

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

emSparkly posted:

Groverplane when?

The faa puts out new regulations forbidding the use of structural sheetrock for aviation use in all cases
investigators baffled "it isn't why the wings fell off, but how they were able to stay on so long" -- turns out it was the softness of the swamp side of the runway dampening vibrations
etc, etc

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

thats straight up the dumbest thing I've ever read

It's more likely than anything else. He's not the only person testifying about Boeing's failings, he's been talking to anyone who will listen about the problems he had seen for seven years. You don't wait seven years to silence a whistelblower when he's getting the more attention than ever while he's in the process of a deposition. Everything this guy was going to say he's said.

It's always amazing when people say "he told me that if something happens it wasn't suicide" like that's proof of anything. John McAfee said the same thing repeatedly and still killed himself.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
All I want is the safety and security of knowing my airplane wings are made with load-bearing drywall.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Was it the merger with Lockheed that hosed up Boeing? I mean more that an aircraft production company already was.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Linux Pirate posted:

Was it the merger with Lockheed that hosed up Boeing? I mean more that an aircraft production company already was.

Boeing merged with McDonnell Douglas, and McDonnell's corporate rot that destroyed their company and allowed them to be acquired by a competitor immediately infected Boeing.

Lockheed Martin is a very separate company.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

and they have never assassinated anybody

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Worf posted:

and they have never assassinated anybody

yeah they stick to actual out-in-the-daylight mass-murder

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

Boeing merged with McDonnell Douglas, and McDonnell's corporate rot that destroyed their company and allowed them to be acquired by a competitor immediately infected Boeing.

I get my murder technologies aircraft manufacturers mixed up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thinking of starting a company that manages the transition between acquisitions, such that the acquirer doesn't destroy the company they just bought.
Unless that's their intention.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Linux Pirate posted:

I get my murder technologies aircraft manufacturers mixed up.

Lockheed stopped making commercial aircraft after they found out grifting the government for bombs and fighter jets was way more profitable with way less liability

L-1011s are cool, though, I got to fly on a couple

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

LordSloth posted:

All I want is the safety and security of knowing my airplane wings are made with load-bearing drywall.

They are not.

But the wings are insulated.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

It's more likely than anything else. He's not the only person testifying about Boeing's failings, he's been talking to anyone who will listen about the problems he had seen for seven years. You don't wait seven years to silence a whistelblower when he's getting the more attention than ever while he's in the process of a deposition. Everything this guy was going to say he's said.

It's always amazing when people say "he told me that if something happens it wasn't suicide" like that's proof of anything. John McAfee said the same thing repeatedly and still killed himself.

Also who is the person saying this, a family friend? They don't mention when in seven years of being Boeing's Most Wanted he said it? It has the feeling of a dumb sound bite for hack journalists.

Yes, use my Bermuda account ple...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

yeah they stick to actual out-in-the-daylight mass-murder

No they're innocent

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

Lockheed stopped making commercial aircraft after they found out grifting the government for bombs and fighter jets was way more profitable with way less liability

L-1011s are cool, though, I got to fly on a couple

Very cool.

I will begrudging admit military vehicles and adjacent aerospace tech is cool as gently caress even though it makes me a bad person.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the boeing corporation i know would NEVER harm a whistleblower to silence them or send a warning to others who might also have something to say

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Linux Pirate posted:

Very cool.

I will begrudging admit military vehicles and adjacent aerospace tech is cool as gently caress even though it makes me a bad person.

Watch SG1

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Linux Pirate posted:

I grew up in BMDS and all that poo poo is cool as gently caress, especially when you're a kid and don't realize the missile launches you got to see on a beach in Kauai were fake nuclear weapons launched for midcourse intercept tests

naem
May 29, 2011

I think, that don’t, murdering

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Linux Pirate posted:

Very cool.

yea its tough to reconcile "wow dis plane is neat and fast vroom" with "it also just assassinated somebody from 400km away"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Worf posted:

yea its tough to reconcile "wow dis plane is neat and fast vroom" with "it also just assassinated somebody from 400km away"

ultimately im siding with the plane however because its cool and fast, unless the other person was in a cooler plane

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I know a guy who makes parts for Boeing, and twice a year they send these auditors to his shop to rifle through his paper work and inventory to make sure he's compliant with all their quality regs. He said they even have these little leather belt holsters for their digital calipers. Claimed they were all dumb as hell.

One time, he was having a catered lunch for his employees on the same day the auditors showed up, and he brought them all into the break room and locked out the Boeing auditors so they were forced to look in the windows like hungry orphans.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

I know a guy who makes parts for Boeing, and twice a year they send these auditors to his shop to rifle through his paper work and inventory to make sure he's compliant with all their quality regs. He said they even have these little leather belt holsters for their digital calipers. Claimed they were all dumb as hell.

One time, he was having a catered lunch for his employees on the same day the auditors showed up, and he brought them all into the break room and locked out the Boeing auditors so they were forced to look in the windows like hungry orphans.

lol I don't know if this is real or not but I choose to lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i believe

they're probably still out there in the cold

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
lol I just remembered that dumbass OceanGate moron made his sub from carbon fiber Boeing rejected and bragged about it being from Boeing so its safe

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Waiting for the big revelation that Boeing did 9/11

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Tristesse posted:

lol I just remembered that dumbass OceanGate moron made his sub from carbon fiber Boeing rejected and bragged about it being from Boeing so its safe

Lmao I didn't know that.

Just imagining that Oceangate guy digging around in the dumpster behind Boeing and running off with a roll of expired carbon fiber like a racoon.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

that carbon fiber was used successfully on many dives

in fact, it only ever had one failure across all dives performed, pretty good success rate overall

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

Lmao I didn't know that.

Just imagining that Oceangate guy digging around in the dumpster behind Boeing and running off with a roll of expired carbon fiber like a racoon.

lol it's "Military Grade" you fools!!!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Icochet posted:

Maybe they could change their name to Boing! and simply attach pogo sticks to the bottoms of the planes.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rad-daddio posted:

Lmao I didn't know that.

another fun note: supposedly it was explicitly designed for pressure containment

as in pressurized cylinders for say cryogenic gas not outside forces crushing inwards

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ultimately, he really only understood that submarines went underwater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

redshirt posted:

lol I don't know if this is real or not but I choose to lol