Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did Boeing Kill A Guy
Yes
No
Unsure
Goku
View Results

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

i cant look at your stupid weiner avatar any more
lmao Boeing just can't escape the optics they created for themselves through acquisition culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Solus posted:

I ain't getting on a Boeing ever again, personally.

good luck if you do air travel lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Guy shot himself in the head like 15 times??

Hmmm, I think this might be somewhat suspicious.

hey now Gary Webb shot himself in the head twice with a .38 revolver just fine

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

He sure wasn't deepass.

:vince:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

he was assassinated by a rogue woke racist AI

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Linux Pirate posted:

Was it the merger with Lockheed that hosed up Boeing? I mean more that an aircraft production company already was.

Boeing merged with McDonnell Douglas, and McDonnell's corporate rot that destroyed their company and allowed them to be acquired by a competitor immediately infected Boeing.

Lockheed Martin is a very separate company.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Worf posted:

and they have never assassinated anybody

yeah they stick to actual out-in-the-daylight mass-murder

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Linux Pirate posted:

I get my murder technologies aircraft manufacturers mixed up.

Lockheed stopped making commercial aircraft after they found out grifting the government for bombs and fighter jets was way more profitable with way less liability

L-1011s are cool, though, I got to fly on a couple

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Linux Pirate posted:

I will begrudging admit military vehicles and adjacent aerospace tech is cool as gently caress even though it makes me a bad person.

I grew up in BMDS and all that poo poo is cool as gently caress, especially when you're a kid and don't realize the missile launches you got to see on a beach in Kauai were fake nuclear weapons launched for midcourse intercept tests

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

MCAS should be a case study in corruption, laziness, bad engineering and outsourcing in just what a disaster of an industrial sensor it is.

Edit: and they made that poo poo critical and didn't tell anyone how it worked or that it was now a critical part of the plane. Creating a single-point failure nobody bothered to catch through sheer Wall Street-side intertia.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 1, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

7075 aluminum alloy is super expensive compared to the stuff they use for cans

How much more expensive? I can't tell you, because I'm not requesting market price quotes from suppliers

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

No gallium corrodes aluminum so basically what the person is saying to do will down a plane

It doesn't corrode, it alloys into AlGa, which is extremely brittle and can basiclly be flaked apart with your fingers because of the crystal structure. That's why gallium and mercury aren't generally allowed to be transported by air.

It has to soak into bare metal, though, and it takes seconds for Al to form a layer of Al2O3 so good luck sanding a plane door and getting gallium to stick to it (gallium doesn't stick to poo poo)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The Bible posted:

I assume you'd need a fair amount of it as well. It wouldn't just spread infinitely; eventually the reaction would stop. You'd damage a section of the wall, but not the entire structure of the plane.

yeah, gallium and mercury create alloys at low temperatures because of their nature, but it has to soak and actually create a pathway for the amalgamation to happen, and it is very finite. Big deal with a hole popping in the structure of the plane if, say, mercury or gallium spills and finds a non-oxidized piece of aluminium on the belly like the alien blood dripping through metal in the alien movies.

Aluminium loves, loves, loves oxidizing, though, and aluminium oxide doesn't react like that.

edit: part of why they moved away from dental amalgams of mercury is because it "creeps," remains somewhat liquid and flows into new places through chewing and etc. then fills a new crack and expands

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol "we can confirm that we received a communication from a regulator" is not how you want to start a letter