Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just grep your pipe

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Arch your eyebrow

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

cd eeznutz

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

did he even date that girl or just talk to her at a party once

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pencilhands posted:

did he even date that girl or just talk to her at a party once

as a desktop linux joke understander,

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Wtf is free churro

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Wtf is free churro

it's why that comic is a joke and not a sad admission; and you don't get it, nerd!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Windows 11 is still better

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Poohs Packin posted:

Wtf is free churro

Setup: Person does a heartfelt monologue
Punchline: audience for the heartfelt monologue is inappropriate

Recentlyish done in the Bojack Horseman episode Free Churro.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

that sounds like a bunch of awkward nerds retroactively finding an excuse to handwave their behavior toward women hth

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

a formulaic unfunny and weird joke is still an unfunny and weird joke, hth

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
*looking up from newspaper, not amused*

ah. the free churro joke.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

*looking up from newspaper, not amused*

ah. the free churro joke.

https://i.imgur.com/63fu8Lx.mp4

"It's actually a very funny, very well-developed joke that you just don't understand," I insist linuxly

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 17, 2024

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

chuckling sensibly at the free churro joke

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

chuckling sensibly at the free churro joke

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

can we compromise by calling it a stupid piece of poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

dervival posted:

can we compromise by calling it a stupid piece of poo poo

you have to do it in an open-source-compliant fashion

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Got it so this is exactly like when I say I dont like anime because 99% of it is horny trash and then someone gives me a wall of text explaining that if id seen 3 other animes Id understand that the teenage upskirt scenes are actually a commentary on horniness in anime and are actually parody and therefore fine and good and not just the very same horny trash.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Got it so this is exactly like when I say I dont like anime because 99% of it is horny trash and then someone gives me a wall of text explaining that if id seen 3 other animes Id understand that the teenage upskirt scenes are actually a commentary on horniness in anime and are actually parody and therefore fine and good and not just the very same horny trash.

IT'S A JOKE, GOD

It doesn't matter that nobody thinks it's funny and most people just think it's someone upstream dumping their emotional poo poo in a river

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 17, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Is this the comic guy that like worships the weirdo open source guy who eats his toe nails in public while doing interviews and poo poo? He like namedrops a few niche nerd celebrities I think that I don't think I ever heard of but gave them blimps and steampunk stuff (cause that's supposed to be cool I think).

Sometimes I can just accept that yeah, clearly this poo poo is not intended for someone like me. I do the computer touching, I like programming, I have been known to science once or twice, but this is just kind of another language. It's like having Tintin translated four times by completely different people, I kind of get the basis of the writing but it's just kind of there at the end.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

:dafuq:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That's a pretty good burn on every party involved including the author tho.

Edit: I like crab buckets too before you ask.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The "But he doesnt respect you!" Actually got an honest to god laugh out of me.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

The "But he doesnt respect you!" Actually got an honest to god laugh out of me.

it's a linux joke

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"Hell never treat you with ubuntu the way I do"

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

or your gentoo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

This is it! The age of the Ubuntu desktop!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Nice Guy alert

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

9/10 serial killer origin stories include this arc

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

that one is self-aware and ends with a joke (an actual joke, not a masterfully subtle free churro for only the most astute of readers), it's nowhere near as sad as the wedding toast one we've been making fun of

not saying it's good, just not as bad

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i simply am a disgusting infantilising creep…as a commentary on society

now please enjoy my lovingly drawn stick figure comic

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

now we're talking

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the tragic way of nerds. it never had to be like that for any of them, even goons and other printer carriers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the tragic way of nerds. it never had to be like that for any of them, even goons and other printer carriers.

:lol:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

how does he manage to come off as more of a pathetic loser than the guy who would actually do this

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its the way he illustrates the minutae of the "nice guy" mentality. He crawls into the material in a way that demonstrates an almost questionable familiarity. Spelling it out like that is a little too on the nose.

Maybe im being uncharitable. I also just really, really detest "nice guys". Nearly half the women ive dated have had one of these emotional leeches in their orbit.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

for me the off-putting thing about that comic is that it's written from the nice guy point of view, but in the last couple panels it acknowledges that the nice guy is fully aware that it's a false love he's pursued. it's darker than usual for that stereotype.

normally the critique of the "nice guy" pattern is that his attempts at manipulating someone into a relationship are pathetic and deluded. adding the interpretation that the nice guy also understands the woman won't truly love him or be happy, but he continues to manipulate her anyway is much more sinister.

the comic is obviously not supporting that behavior, but it's still a weird interpretation of the internal thoughts of someone like that, and so i have to assume some of xkcd guy's personal impulses are represented even if he ultimately realizes they're gross.

still not as bad as the wedding toast though. nothing will top that.