Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Imagine asking a peer to review some work, and them offhandedly ignoring the content of what you showed them, then rudely launching into some diatribe about the file format you used. You would rightfully tell this nerd off for being emotionally tone deaf, and never talk to them again.

This actually happened to the XKCD nerd.

Then, instead of going home and reflecting on his awful social skills, the XKCD nerd manufactured some scenario in his head where said normal person was desperately crawling back to him for help because....Facebook was gathering user data? In 2010? At the height of its popularity, when literally only people like the XKCD nerd were even halfheartedly criticizing them?

He literally thought drawing this comic would assuage his ego.

It's just pathetic.

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

very important context: this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bad Purchase posted:

very important context: this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License

Not version 2.6?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

goatkcd is the only good thing to ever come out of xkcd pencilhands

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

actually now there's 1 standard proliferating for computer stuff and the USB-C SMD component is so complex it's an immediate and instant point of failure in everything once it flexes a lil bit and breaks a solder joint because they added 20 pins, changed the form factor and kept the size

MrQwerty posted:

pins on the top row are damaged on this one, I probably picked it up off the floor after someone left a bunch of trash there because there was a jammed reel.
it's got 4 anchors, 2 at the front and 2 at the back, and all 24 of those tiny rear end pins right next to the flex point on the rear anchors. It's really delicate, way more than it's acknowledged to be by manufacturers since devices are "disposable" I guess.

it's standardized, but it can take a long time in the life of a product to figure out the apertures on the screen vs. the equipment you're using vs. the paste you're using vs. the board design to print the exact perfect amount of solder on a board for that part. Long enough that you moved to the next one.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 12, 2024

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

goatkcd is the only good thing to ever come out of xkcd pencilhands

Enlighten me

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
No way, the saddest thing XKCD ever did was his saga where he pined for some girl he met at a party and then made a rage comic when she got in a relationship lol

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
Show me on the doll where randall touched you

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

most overrated web comic around. which is saying something because pretty much every web comic sucks rear end

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
xkcd is pretentious as gently caress and not as funny as it thinks it is. powerup comics is the only good webcomic

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

wevb. comics.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

pencilhands posted:

Enlighten me

Gladly! You see,

:nws::nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 13, 2024

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Javid posted:

Gladly! You see,

E: image removed by mod.

its amazing how often it works so well

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 13, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pencilhands posted:

Enlighten me

Type in goatkcd.com

Hammerite posted:

its amazing how often it works so well

you mean 100% of the time

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

actually now there's 1 standard proliferating for computer stuff and the USB-C SMD component is so complex it's an immediate and instant point of failure in everything once it flexes a lil bit and breaks a solder joint because they added 20 pins, changed the form factor and kept the size

USB-C and USB-3 and USB-4 are like thirty different standards pretending to be one at this point anyway and you just have to play guesswork as to what this particular cable/port will do.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

MikeJF posted:

USB-C and USB-3 and USB-4 are like thirty different standards pretending to be one at this point anyway and you just have to play guesswork as to what this particular cable/port will do.

well there's one standard to the USB-C SMD part and that it's a piece of poo poo that is an engineering nightmare and your immediate single point failure culprit on any device containing it if you answer "did you ever flex the USB-C port?" with "yes"
or "did you plug in a USB-C cable to it in an inexact way"

we spent months remaking screens for that loving thing, everything is bridged then nothing has solder, then everything is bridged and then nothing has solder. It was definitely the equipment, too; I'm sure if you design a line for it it's "fine" (I don't like how small the pins are and they're not balls attached to a chip that won't ever see the light of day), but it's intrinsically a bad part that will cause serious/threatening/killing problems very easily because of the size and complexity

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I read the OP, but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Is the "the saddest thing" being subject of a pencilhands post?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:siren: the op has signed his post :siren:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Someone should tell xkcd guy Pencilhands is talkin poo poo about his unfunny IT guy opinions.

Who knows he could be another Scott Adams in the making.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Someone should tell xkcd guy Pencilhands is talkin poo poo about his unfunny IT guy opinions.

Who knows he could be another Scott Adams in the making.

if he hasn't been broken by goatkcd being a better comic for nearly 20 years, then idk what will shake him

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

What a whiny fucker.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lmao

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lmao please dont be real.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
You know it is.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:nws:

Seth edit: lol but you gotta pay the price

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 14, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

You know it is.

i always forget that that exists

and like always, goatkcd is funnier

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

drilldo squirt posted:

You know it is.

Its so pathetic, selfish, psychopathic, and mean all at the same time.

I made a post in the boeing thread about someone making a bad wedding speech but jfc.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

in fairness, anyone who asked that loving guy to talk at their wedding deserves whatever they get

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wait do people think that comic is an actual toast he wrote and not a joke

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Perfect window for a Sicko, too

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 15, 2024

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The xkcd guy turned his apartment into a ball pit, because nerds, for whatever reason, are obsessed with ball pits.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

do you think that comic is a joke

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Tenebrais posted:

Do you even know what a joke is? loving clown.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
XKCDeez nutz

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Tenebrais posted:

It's a very funny and relatable joke that isn't frontended with any bitterness at all, and is indistinguishable from his other comics as they all follow the same delivery and tone as this one

Nothing remarkable about it that screams Personal Problems, no siree

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you