Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

UConn's won 12 NCAA Tourny games in a row. If they make the dance next year and win their first game they'll die '91-93 Duke at 13. Give me a bit I'm trying to see if anyone has won more in a row.

fake edit ofc ucla won more i gotta see how many more

ok UCLA won 30 NCAA Tourny games in a row from '67-'74 since they only had to win four games. So UConn has some work to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Fun tournament. Favorite game was still Grand Canyon and Alabama for being a track meet plus destruction derby.

Also won $48 to cap off my illustrious, one month sportsbetting career. Withdrew the money and deleted the FanDuel app.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paying2Lurk posted:

Also won $48 to cap off my illustrious, one month sportsbetting career. Withdrew the money and deleted the FanDuel app.

The worst part about working in CT and how insane UCOnn has been is that I can’t even win decent money off a work bracket like I did in the Kenna walker years.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Bleh - wish Purdue would've played better but UConn's just ridiculously good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Jesus-

Highest average differential before this year was 14.4 for the 93 tournament.

UConn had a 23.3 point average differential.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Poodon’t

Get to Undergrad Library when you get back to campus, shitheads. None of you are playing Association basketball.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're gonna do the thing they do every game where it seems like a decent matchup and then suddenly they are up by 16

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

After watching a few UConn games this tournament, it seems like the only way they lose is if they face a team that just can’t miss, or you get them into foul trouble early enough that they can’t play as tough D. The last one doesn’t even work that well because they have pretty good depth and can rotate guys. Pretty much have to hope your team can make a bunch of threes so you don’t have to drive to the paint and watch the ball get swatted away.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 9, 2024

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

After watching a few UConn games this tournament, it seems like the only way they lose is if they face a team that just can’t miss, or you get them into foul trouble early enough that they can’t play as tough D. The last one doesn’t even work that’s well because they have pretty good depth and can rotate guys. Pretty much have to hope your team can make a bunch of threes so you don’t have to drive to the paint and watch the ball get swatted away.

A month ago, I went to Gampel with some friends to see them play Seton Hall. It was a rematch- seton hall had beaten them in December.

It was exactly like the early games of this tournament or Big East tournament- close for a little and then they just blew them out. Even with the second string guys they just ran the game. My friends and I left with 5 minutes to go in the second half, when UConn was up by 30 and were probably about to put some Make-A-Wish kids on the court.

I think at the college level the only way to beat UConn is for them to let you. I have no idea how SH beat them in December besides them just figuring the game didn’t matter or trying to game the bracket.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Seton Hall won the NIT and split wins with UConn, ergo they're the second best team in the country

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alaois posted:

Seton Hall won the NIT and split wins with UConn, ergo they're the second best team in the country

They’re from New Jersey and therefore terrible.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A month ago, I went to Gampel with some friends to see them play Seton Hall. It was a rematch- seton hall had beaten them in December.

It was exactly like the early games of this tournament or Big East tournament- close for a little and then they just blew them out. Even with the second string guys they just ran the game. My friends and I left with 5 minutes to go in the second half, when UConn was up by 30 and were probably about to put some Make-A-Wish kids on the court.

I think at the college level the only way to beat UConn is for them to let you. I have no idea how SH beat them in December besides them just figuring the game didn’t matter or trying to game the bracket.

That Hall team was actually pretty drat good. They shot really well, Clingan was out, and Castle only played 20 minutes. Diarra also played like poo poo. The only way to beat them is to effectively shoot 50 percent from the floor and get them in foul trouble, while controlling the pace of play. The pace really seemed like the big thing all season. Their ability to just gas teams was so impressive.

This was easily the best men's UCONN team I've ever seen in about 30 years of watching them (2001-02 UCONN women was the best overall team I've ever seen. Their average margin of victory that season was like, 35), and maybe the best men's college team period.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only teams I can remember that felt as inevitable as them were 2009 UNC and 2012 Kentucky which were basically NBA squads. 2015 Kentucky obviously felt that way until they weren’t.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
UConn guards just feasted on Purdue's slower guards. Loyer was repeatedly getting beat.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dango Bango posted:

This is me with all of the same commercials that have been playing all March Madness
"Oh hey, Move your feet by Junior Senior! I haven't heard that in a while."

*THREE WEEKS LATER*

Ugh, again?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Akileese posted:

That Hall team was actually pretty drat good. They shot really well, Clingan was out, and Castle only played 20 minutes. Diarra also played like poo poo. The only way to beat them is to effectively shoot 50 percent from the floor and get them in foul trouble, while controlling the pace of play. The pace really seemed like the big thing all season. Their ability to just gas teams was so impressive.

You could see where Purdue's gameplan would work: Edey is the gravitational force in the middle that everyone has to collapse in around, which then opens up Purdue's guards for open outside shots. In-between that you slow the game down and make it a rock fight with the final score in the 50's to low 60's. The issue is that UConn had the size to frustrate Edey, but most importantly is that Purdue's guards never punished UConn for helping on Edey. 1-7 on three's is not an acceptable number of attempts and shows just how UConn was able to shut down any kind of perimeter attack, which meant that they could send help on Edey and frustrate him. Edey still had 37 on 15-25 shooting, he did his part on the offensive end. (Defensively was another matter but I've bagged on him enough.) Purdue's other players only made 9 shots, one of which was a three, and the only bench points came on that nasty putback down from Heide.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

"Oh hey, Move your feet by Junior Senior! I haven't heard that in a while."

*THREE WEEKS LATER*

Ugh, again?

I'm sad more people don't know it as the Junior Senior song. That's like the happiest song ever.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

C. Everett Koop posted:

You could see where Purdue's gameplan would work: Edey is the gravitational force in the middle that everyone has to collapse in around, which then opens up Purdue's guards for open outside shots. In-between that you slow the game down and make it a rock fight with the final score in the 50's to low 60's. The issue is that UConn had the size to frustrate Edey, but most importantly is that Purdue's guards never punished UConn for helping on Edey. 1-7 on three's is not an acceptable number of attempts and shows just how UConn was able to shut down any kind of perimeter attack, which meant that they could send help on Edey and frustrate him. Edey still had 37 on 15-25 shooting, he did his part on the offensive end. (Defensively was another matter but I've bagged on him enough.) Purdue's other players only made 9 shots, one of which was a three, and the only bench points came on that nasty putback down from Heide.

It's kind of wild how much the two title games mirrored each other, Iowa didn't have the size to properly threat on the outside and neither did Purdue. The biggest takeaway from Purdue's game was really how hesitant the shooters were to even take those shots - they probably weren't WRONG, UConn's positioning was top-notch and the size advantage meant that any three was gonna be contested. But their alternatives just didn't work, any time one of our tiny babies tried to drive in, the ball just got swatted away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Poque posted:

It's kind of wild how much the two title games mirrored each other, Iowa didn't have the size to properly threat on the outside and neither did Purdue. The biggest takeaway from Purdue's game was really how hesitant the shooters were to even take those shots - they probably weren't WRONG, UConn's positioning was top-notch and the size advantage meant that any three was gonna be contested. But their alternatives just didn't work, any time one of our tiny babies tried to drive in, the ball just got swatted away.

Well I take back what I said about keep the score low; 60 was the lowest total they scored all season. But they still needed to attempt more three's just to keep the UConn D honest. UConn was still a top 10 D in PPG so credit has to be given to them for preventing Purdue from executing their gameplan, but in the same way you have to throw deep occasionally just to keep the safeties from creeping down into the box, you have to be willing to shoot 15-20 three's a game if you want to keep your center from having three dudes on him every time he touches the ball. Purdue averaged 20 3 attempts per game, so to take 7 was never going to work.