Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Kenshi is... an odd gem. It's a squad based, open world sandbox rpg with base building and minor survival mechanics. There are no questlines, no story to follow. You're just dropped into the world, a ronin, and left to your own devices.

But what a world it is. A beautifully designed continent filled with all kinds of life, different cultures and societies, and clues revealing the long forgotten ancient empires. It's an uncaring world where the player isn't granted any more strength or ability than any npc, and even the lowliest bandit gang is more than a match for a starting player. It's a convincing, lived-in world, with a mysterious, mostly forgotten history.

I want to show off what the game offers. Even with a few hundred hours behind me there's a lot of the map I haven't explored, and a lot of factions I haven't interacted with, so I'm gonna experience of bunch for the first time as well.

The early game can be quite a hurdle, but there are a lot of power levelling techniques to speed some of it up. I won't be doing much of them until I need so speed things up. I don't have a long term plan for the game but Kenshi has a way of providing inspiration and goals, so we'll just see what crops up.

We'll be starting the game as a Hiver soldier drone - an insect-like humanoid that typically shares a hive mind with the rest of their kind, but occasionally foray out into the wild. And we'll have a dog for a companion. The two of them will be heading out into the world, trying to learn its strange, un-hive like ways, and find or create a new hive to call home.

Episode 1: A Bug and His Dog
Episode 2: Around the Coast
Episode 3: Training
Episode 4: Comb the Desert
Episode 5 - Freedom... for 3.
Episode 6 - Leaving the UC
Episode 7 - Sowing Roots
Episode 8 - A Solid Foundation
Episode 9 - To the Fog Islands.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Are you using mods, or is this purely vanilla?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Mostly vanilla.

Can't remember the full list at current, but some QoL and cosmetic stuff for the most part.

Slopeless, more names, immersive non combat animations, SCAR's pathfinding fix, 256 recruitment, let's talk. Might be one or two I'm missing but that's about it.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Loved the intro, looking forward to this one!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thanks. It was fun to make, and took a bit of fighting with the camera controls and UI to get what I had in mind. I plan on having a few 3-4 minute cuts like that as things progress as I run into interesting areas or anything neat happens. Be a good opportunity to cut out banal grinding or travelling as things progress as well.

Anyways, here's episode 2:
Episode 2: Around the Coast

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Third episode here. It ran a bit longer than I wanted, but I don't think there was enough going on to justify two videos. Ended on a high note though and we're ready to move on.

Episode 3: Training

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Had to burn off our fugitive status, so we spend the next few days exploring the rest of the Great Desert and the United Cities from a safe distance.

Episode 4: Comb the Desert

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Kenshi is a game that's I've followed and played since long long before they even had a decent map. Before they added shadows. I've sunk well over 500+ hours into the steam version and can honestly say that the game is fantastic and one of the best sandbox RPG/Builder games I've played. Looking forward to the rest of this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, Kenshi hits beats that I don't really see done elsewhere. It's such a unique experience if you can get into it.

Episode 5 - Freedom... for 3.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Time to leave the United Cities and bring our two new companions somewhere where the law won't care.

Episode 6 - Leaving the UC

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The gang's all in the Hub now, so it's time to feed everyone. We just do a little base building so we can start some farms, and try to stay busy otherwise.

Episode 7 - Sowing Roots

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 11, 2024

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Some finishing touches on our camp, and then we explore more of the border regions to get ready to move on.

Episode 8 - A Solid Foundation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So Rimworld Anomaly came out and suddenly I'm a week behind on updates. Somehow.

But now it's time for action, so we're going to the Fog Islands.

Episode 9 - To the Fog Islands.