Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love hanging with my bros and huffing the censer

I hate Mondays

When defending the city, you can't be worried about silly things like modesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I have a Beastren pawn who won't stop saying the "If I can speak freely..." "one Arisen I traveled with preferred Beastren for allies" combo and it's not at all useful but I appreciate a repetition gag.

I do miss the more enemy-focused chatter, I only seem to get "we don't have the tools to exploit this foe's weakness" but no specifics & I remember in DD some of the pawn comments were occasionally useful with big monsters.

My other Pawn complaint is that Logistician pawns are pretty annoying most of the time.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i have had some luck with stripping monster lairs by yelling go at them after deleting the monster occupants. its just not very consistent, and they seem allergic to looting monster corpses as a general rule

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sloober posted:

i have had some luck with stripping monster lairs by yelling go at them after deleting the monster occupants. its just not very consistent, and they seem allergic to looting monster corpses as a general rule

I switched my pawn to Simple and now she's happy to loot corpses.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Is the Mage class kinda like playing a Mage in Eldenring in the sense that it feels very "easy mode" or like an "afterthought" compared to using all the actual melee weapons? I feel like I'm just mindlessly spamming Magic Missile and everything is autolocked/auto aim.

I kind of want to reroll, but I don't want to re-do the tutorial :sigh:

Mages still get a bunch of basic attack abilities. If you've just started you may not have those yet or be using them as much as you can. There's no mana bar in this game, so feel free to spam flamethrower over and over. However, Mages are most intended to be support using heals, buffs and protection spells.

A short while into the game you will unlock the Sorcerer vocation which is entirely about elemental combat spells however.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
It seems that affinity decays because my beloved was the last idiot I took on a walk (rear end in a top hat wizard) and not by beautiful Disa, who I spent the first half of the game giving flowers to

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My first 60 minutes were stubbornly on KBM and the control scheme is beyond the dumbest/worst poo poo I've ever seen; they did introduce me to like a flamethrower thing and maybe 1 other during the prison break tutorial.

Will swap over to my gamepad next session though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

George Sex - REAL posted:

It seems that affinity decays because my beloved was the last idiot I took on a walk (rear end in a top hat wizard) and not by beautiful Disa, who I spent the first half of the game giving flowers to

If it works like DD1, you can max out multiple, and your beloved will be the last one of them you talked to.
Which ended up a bit weird in my game, because one cutscene had the empress as my beloved, then a later one had her bodyguard.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

In the original DD I seem to remember there was a cap and if multiple people were at the cap it would choose based on other factors. Originally I thought it was the last one you spoke to but data I found searching suggests it's the first one to be referenced in the code. I remember needing to jump through some hoops to make certain Mercedes would remain my beloved.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In DD1 my beloved was always the last person I got to max affinity before it gets locked in, so I was reliably able to get the person I wanted by giving them the arisen’s bond as the very last thing I did before going to the greatwall.

Upgrading my old i7-8700 to a ryzen 7 7800x3d plus faster RAM has changed my frame rate in verdun from 30-45 to 50-75. pretty solid improvement but there are still inconsistent stutters that make it feel choppy, my fans are screaming for mercy, and there’s not drastically better hardware you can get for games at the moment so I really hope they can do some better optimization on the NPCs. whatever riveting behavior simulation it’s supposedly doing has yet to be apparent to me in any way, and not one NPC has been interesting enough for me to remember their name, so I don’t know what the point of it is. if this is what’s shredding performance issues then it’s not worth the cost unless NPCs suddenly start being more than cardboard cutouts later on.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Hearing about people's specs/performance makes me scratch my head about my own. I've got a 7950X3D, 6400HZ ram and a 3090 TI. Fans barely speed up if at all, temperatures stable, ~30% CPU utilization in cities and I really can't break 40 FPS. The rest of the game is fully inconsistent. Weird experience, nothing quite similar. I'll randomly get 60+ FPS while adventuring and just think how much better it feels. Wish I had a solution

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hearing about people's specs/performance makes me scratch my head about my own. I've got a 7950X3D, 6400HZ ram and a 3090 TI. Fans barely speed up if at all, temperatures stable, ~30% CPU utilization in cities and I really can't break 40 FPS. The rest of the game is fully inconsistent. Weird experience, nothing quite similar. I'll randomly get 60+ FPS while adventuring and just think how much better it feels. Wish I had a solution

That sounds pretty normal for this game? Everyone has bad performance in cities and pretty decent performance outside them (if they have a decent GPU).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

That sounds pretty normal for this game? Everyone has bad performance in cities and pretty decent performance outside them (if they have a decent GPU).

i actually cap at 60 fps in cities most of the time, i get weird frame drops in forested areas. really its kind of inexplicable when a framerate drop might happen. i do have fairly hefty rig though, it's mostly the randomness of the drops that makes me confused

VVV

Control Volume posted:

This game just immediately runs out of gas near the end lmao. Cool set piece fights but the entire experience feels like Im setting up for an act 2 that doesnt exist.

yes i think the, err, true end, i guess? is an enormous missed opportunity

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game just immediately runs out of gas near the end lmao. Cool set piece fights but the entire experience feels like Im setting up for an act 2 that doesnt exist. This doesnt feel like an all-out sequel

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Control Volume posted:

This game just immediately runs out of gas near the end lmao. Cool set piece fights but the entire experience feels like Im setting up for an act 2 that doesnt exist. This doesnt feel like an all-out sequel

With the upcoming DLC being an extension of the story that takes place after the main story that was developed alongside the base game it feels like the DLC will be Act 2

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I think Everdraed mentioned this earlier in the thread, but you can buy dyes from the rift merchant at the pawns guild outside of Bakhbattal and use them at the cosmetics shop there to make your pawn stand out a little bit more.

Don't think I've seen any other pawns in the rift using special dyes yet.

This could be a good way to stand out if 90% of head armor didn't cover all of your hair.

deep dish peat moss posted:

With the upcoming DLC being an extension of the story that takes place after the main story that was developed alongside the base game it feels like the DLC will be Act 2

This actually confirmed yet?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 28, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

This could be a good way to stand out if 90% of head armor didn't cover all of your hair.

That's why you don't wear a helmet on your pawn, to maximize the RC gains.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It’s criminal that there’s no vanity armor system.

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, I haven’t checked my CPU/GPU/RAM usage % exactly but my system is slightly weaker than theirs in all three categories and it hasn’t dropped below 40 in the city for me so far, so if 40 is their ceiling then something can’t be working right. even with my old CPU, I was getting 70+ in much of the open world because I think my GPU was crushing it anytime NPCs weren’t around. I have ray tracing off but everything else maxed at 1440p with FSR enabled.

edit: not quite maxed, actually. shadows and something else on high instead of max. But that wouldn’t make that much difference.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 28, 2024

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Yeah I don't buy that Dragon Princess Leak mostly because the part about it being postgame content when there isn't really a postgame world that you have acess to unless you count The unmoored world which is timed and isn't really built for a story based expansion

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Sure does feel like that. I hope they actually do change the base game though because the exploration was mid as gently caress once the novelty wore off. The only truly interesting thing outside of Vernworth was the sphinx which was marketed to hell and back, every other area just felt like they rehashed the same formula with different window dressing. The final part of the game just really drove that feeling in when I realized that even the lovely caves were missing from the new areas.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you can tell the "leak" is fake cuz the subtitle font is just the God of War Ragnarok font

Eliirae
Mar 30, 2011
The original leak for the post game of DD2 was wrong in some ways, as well, yet still turned out to be truthful. Though assuming the "leak" is true and there is an expansion planned to release in eight months, that could be used to explain why DD2 seems a bit rushed and unpolished towards the end, since development time would have been split between two projects simultaneously, with Capcom forcing a release for their 2024 year.

I'm also fully willing to accept this is major copium on my part.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I was really into this game for a bit but now that I’m near the end I kinda wish I had waited as the game starts very strong and gets worse as the game goes on. I dunno what the goal was but the bad performance and burying you in goblins, harpies and wolves has really soured my initial impressions. The game is just too easy for most of the time too.

Crashing and losing progress also really added salt to the wound.

I’d recommend waiting for patches if you are on the edge.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's quite impressive how DD2 is exactly like DD1 in almost every respect.
To the point where DD1 was like 40% finished and DD2 is like 60% finished.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
On the next year of the dragon we'll get something 80% finished

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dradog 4 is 100% finished but we end up finding out we liked it better when we could spitball our own imaginary concepts of perfection into the gaping hole and end up hating it as a result

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The game feels finished, it just feels like they didnt have any ideas beyond "spooky forest," "canyon corridors," "tiny cave with enemies," and "setpiece main quest area." There are novelties abound but I cant think of a single area that broke that mold other than where the sphinx is chilling.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

So I did some testing in my new game plus regarding one of the quests revolving around seeker's tokens:

You can make a copy of your finder's token at the forgery shop, the copy acts exactly like the original and they stack in the inventory

I'm pretty sure you can gift them as pawn gifts as well.

Also related to the "parent" part of that same quest line

The pawn's don't have to be official Capcom pawns, as long as they have one of the 3 correct pawn names and/or I think the right associated moniker they're fine to use for the Sphinx. I've used two different non-capcom ones in my first playthrough and in NG+ and they both worked just fine

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I love hanging with my bros and huffing the censer

I hate Mondays

When defending the city, you can't be worried about silly things like modesty

On mobile the Mondays picture looks like a trippy painting of a lion

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The more I sit on it, the more I think Oblivion had better exploration than this game. Now that Ive gone through once, I cant think of a reason that I would go anywhere outside of a town that doesnt have a quest already associated with it, other than the overmarketed sphinx. I guess theres also Medusa somewhere but I really dont give enough of a poo poo to hunt it down at this point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Owl Inspector posted:

I dunno, I haven’t checked my CPU/GPU/RAM usage % exactly but my system is slightly weaker than theirs in all three categories and it hasn’t dropped below 40 in the city for me so far, so if 40 is their ceiling then something can’t be working right. even with my old CPU, I was getting 70+ in much of the open world because I think my GPU was crushing it anytime NPCs weren’t around. I have ray tracing off but everything else maxed at 1440p with FSR enabled.

There's a couple specific places in the city where I think I'm getting like 40 or so, but most of the city I get higher than 40. So I just assumed they were talking about the places with the worst performance. Outside I definitely get something significantly above 60 (for some reason fps monitoring doesn't work for me with this game with either nvidia's overlay or fraps, but I can visually tell it's something higher than 60).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Dunno if anyone else has noticed, but people you have high affection with seems to leave gifts hanging by the door of your house when you buy it. And some pretty valuable stuff at times, too. I've gotten good weapons and ferrystones.

Also, there's 3 chests and a seeker token on top of the Pawn guild in Vernworth. To reach it you just have to go out on one of the balconies for the Inn, climb up a ladder outside, and jump across.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I gave a bouquet to a random innkeeper and he said he had no idea what it was

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

External Organs posted:

I gave a bouquet to a random innkeeper and he said he had no idea what it was

You're lovers now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wish the "Sort by Weight" option in the inventory sorted by the total weight of the stack, not like individual item weight. I want to know how heavy these 18 draughts I'm carrying around are.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If anyone is interested in revisiting the first game, these two mods look cool:
- Magick Archer Alternate Stat Growth
- Mystic Knight Alternate Stat Growth

They make it so that you can actually play as those classes instead of doing 200 levels of Sorceror/Ranger or whatever instead of the class you actually want to play as. It doesn't add extra attack/magic attack so much as rebalance how much is spent on attack vs defense, keeping the total constant. It basically moves 1 from each defense to the attack stats so the atttack growth per level goes from 2 & 3 (physical and magic attack respectively) to 3 & 4 to be more in line with other classes which have 7 total points across the 2 attack types.

There's a variant that makes Magick Archer simply have Sorcerer's stat growth (2 & 5), but I chose the "balanced" version that's more middle of the road across physical and magic attack (3 & 4).

The Mystic Knight mod's Files section has a version with both mods merged into one arc file.

Installed on Steam Deck and the game runs very well with everything maxed out. Set a 45 fps cap and its around 4.5 hours of playtime on an oled deck.

E: Also turns out that the Torso selection governs how fast you run in DDDA. Torsos 7 & 8 have the best running speeds - 20% faster than the average speed. This game.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 28, 2024

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
post game question:

it is day 3 and i have evacuated everyone and killed all the red beam bosses. anything else worth doing? also, when/how does NG+ start? is it just on a timer or should i do anything?

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:

Das Butterbrot posted:

post game question:

it is day 3 and i have evacuated everyone and killed all the red beam bosses. anything else worth doing? also, when/how does NG+ start? is it just on a timer or should i do anything?

NG+ can start after you do the red beam at the seafloor shrine. There is a pseudo-timer in that you will only get a certain number of rests (edit: I think it's 7?), and from that point on you can't rest anymore to regain health, but otherwise you can keep playing. Your only means of regaining lost health at that point is wakestones and resummoning pawns which is irritating. The clouds won't close in anymore now that you beat all the dragons.

Secret Agent Cow fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 28, 2024

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Everybody shut the gently caress up the best mod is here

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/239

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Inzombiac posted:

I hate Mondays