Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Do I need to worry about wrapping much up before doing the Coronation quest? Kinda eager to proceed with the MSQ since I'm outgrowing my surroundings, but also, having seen people mention the story kinda ending abruptly, it's hard to gauge where I'm at or what i'm about to commit to.

Definitely feeling the comments re: difficulty, I'm starting to mop the floor with enemies a bit too easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Could someone give me a vague clue at what the point of no return is so I can make sure I know and can avoid it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

404notfound posted:

Finally took down my first drake, and ended up using two wakestones in the process. I was a mystic spearhand, which I thought would make it easier, but the bolt didn't seem to slow it down much, and the animation lock on the spear attacks got me in trouble several times. I neglected to take the actual projectile weapon skill, and so a lot of the time the drake was airborne was spent trying to air dash toward it and whiffing.

I'm close to level 10 on mystic spearhand, so I'll probably go ahead and max it out, but I don't think I'm going to keep using the vocation. Something about it just feels kinda clunky to me, like the skills don't synergize well or something

you don't have the invulnerability bubble for your whole team?

mystic spearhand was the first vocation i beat a drake with because it was so radically easy lol

i also don't get the lack of synergy stuff, you get the charge + divebomb for dealing with big mobs/getting on their backs instantly, you have the little magic missile things (well it's upgrade mostly) which is great for dealing with trash or flying monsters or just adding dps, and you get a bunch of other skills that seem neat but i never really used. like the big charge up laser thing which is probably great for building stun on big monsters.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Do I need to worry about wrapping much up before doing the Coronation quest? Kinda eager to proceed with the MSQ since I'm outgrowing my surroundings, but also, having seen people mention the story kinda ending abruptly, it's hard to gauge where I'm at or what i'm about to commit to.

Definitely feeling the comments re: difficulty, I'm starting to mop the floor with enemies a bit too easily.

yes there are a number of quests that end after it, also a few that are only available right after it (like wilhemina's questline)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Musing on whether I should roll Warfarer as sword/shield + bow instead of sword/shield/ + great weapon. Sometimes there's just no way to deal with fliers but shooting them, and I suppose I could learn the timing on the Archer's charge shot, which I have a much harder time with compared to the great weapon uppercut

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Some of your ongoing side quests could autofail, although I'm not sure which ones.

I'm pretty sure it includes the one where you track down Ulrika, so do that at least

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mordiceius posted:

Could someone give me a vague clue at what the point of no return is so I can make sure I know and can avoid it.

It's basically when you reach the tutorial area again.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Helm/Skull Splitter may have it beaten for availability, but Magick Archer's spam-a-thousand-bolts skill has been the most effective big-enemy killer. Griffins go from two health bars to dead in a single charged volley to the head. And I'm glad to see that Ricochet Hunter is still completely busted in caverns. Just blind fire a couple charged blasts down a suspicious hallway and watch the XP pile up. Magick Archer is so cool.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oft we turn to you to carry the burdens we cannot

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Oft we turn to you to carry the burdens we cannot

I'm OK with that, also my pawn telling me she missed me when I resummon her. It's good to feel wanted and needed. :glomp: I just don't need to hear that Greenwarish is a material when I'm level 52 and have played for dozens of hours.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You again! What an unexpected surprise

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i managed to figure out how to beat the sphinx without using the unmaking arrow, if anyone else has had trouble with it. the clue was pretty obvious in retrospect but just wanted to let people know that:

you don't need to use the unmaking arrow
as far as i can tell, the battle isn't timed. or if it is it's very generous.

if anyone wants a clue or the outright answer i'll post it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My pawn does a great little thing with his voice when he says "above!" At the end of his ladder line

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I have to know if anyone else has run into this dapper gentleman in Checkpoint Rest Town

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I have indeed seen that man.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

koshmar posted:

I have to know if anyone else has run into this dapper gentleman in Checkpoint Rest Town

He's the only NPC I have marked as a favorite lol

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I gave him flowers immediately

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

We're blasting this at the coronation: https://youtu.be/NgqbjlUp35U?si=F36z3LiJ_kYdH4ii

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mordiceius posted:

Do not give the wyrmslife crystals to Ambrosius if you don't want to set in motion the end of the game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Yeah he's just gone, resting won't bring him back and he hasn't been murdered by rogue pawns or something. This is a good reminder after 20 hours of play that video games are a time investment and if they don't respct you, you don't have to respect them by finishing them or talking about any of their positive qualities. Don't buy this game, regardless of if it's fun to play it doesn't matter because it's not even finished

Most embarrassing kind of post tbh

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Imagine thinking a Video Game has a ROI, what a loving world we live in

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Phlegmish posted:

He is supposed to give you a permit for Battahl once you've attended the coronation and everything's wrapped up. Are you sure he has nothing more to say?

Weird, I don't have any quests related to him anymore. The only quests I have are "make contact with the shadowy figure" and "find the sculptor in battahl". Is my game bugged? Or maybe I just need to go back to the bar and see if he's standing at that table still.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i beat the game in 66 days. gg

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Tabletops posted:

i managed to figure out how to beat the sphinx without using the unmaking arrow, if anyone else has had trouble with it. the clue was pretty obvious in retrospect but just wanted to let people know that:

you don't need to use the unmaking arrow
as far as i can tell, the battle isn't timed. or if it is it's very generous.

if anyone wants a clue or the outright answer i'll post it
spoiler post that sucker, I was pretty sure it was following the depicted in-game sphinx art where ya only attack the hindquarters? since they all show keeping the bust pristine but scarring the body to hell but even reloading a save a few times I couldn't get it to work so just went with da good ol regifting strat

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Play posted:

Do not give the wyrmslife crystals to Ambrosius if you don't want to set in motion the end of the game.

I thought it's the pickup that's the cut off

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Now that the honeymoon period is past, this game is kind of mid. Itll probably be transformed by DLC. I wish it had actual themed dungeons rather than multiple variations of cave with trash mobs, but Ill settle for the inevitable DLC enemy variety.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Throwing is very powerful in this game. A bunch of bandits show up, and I just throw them at eachother and they all die.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sixto Lezcano posted:

That isn't even anywhere close to the end of the game. I mean, just look at the map.

Also it's a fake point of no return.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Weird, I don't have any quests related to him anymore. The only quests I have are "make contact with the shadowy figure" and "find the sculptor in battahl". Is my game bugged? Or maybe I just need to go back to the bar and see if he's standing at that table still.

Normally a guy walks up to you saying Brant has more for you to do. Maybe you missed it. Yeah, just go to the inn at night and speak to him again.

e: actually I think you just need to do the Shadowy Figure quest, it is in fact Brant-related

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Everdraed posted:

spoiler post that sucker, I was pretty sure it was following the depicted in-game sphinx art where ya only attack the hindquarters? since they all show keeping the bust pristine but scarring the body to hell but even reloading a save a few times I couldn't get it to work so just went with da good ol regifting strat

it was indeed. basically you can't damage (or at least meaningfully, i didn't test to see if there was a threshold or anything) her human parts which is basically her tiddies, head and possibly her whole front part in general.
I think a major thing is either dismissing all your pawns and throwing your main pawn off a mountain or doing what i did, which was dismissing my pawns and telling my main pawn to wait! and hope it worked. it did work, he scared me a few times and ran around her feet but thankfully didn't hit her and also at some point got knocked down.

regardless, there didn't seem to be a time limit not that it took that long. i think maybe 60 second or a minute and a half at most at level 42. After doing it i found a video of a guy taking like 5 minutes or more so it's probably pretty generous. just to be safe i'd stay away from her wings/front portion cause some weapons could probably smack her head.

i don't think it's possible to do without a way too much effort on sorc or mage, and impossible as a trickster. easiest done probably as a martial class for me. i'm sure some people are good enough at aiming to do it on a bow character but it ain't me. l

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
One of my favorite repeating pawn phrases is when I talk to a merchant, open the Buy menu, and then close it without buying anything. Pawns usually say something "Browsing is good, but it's also smart to not spend your money", but I swear I heard a pawn reply to that saying something about how the merchants probably don't appreciate it.

On the flip side, if you buy a bunch of stuff, pawns say things like "It must feel good to drop such a hefty sum"

hell yeah it does

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
merchants definitely have some kind of gold/affinity/stock system cause once i bought some poo poo from one of the merchants (i think i spent like 30k or more) their inventory changed instantly and suddenly they had a bunch of more expensive poo poo to sell

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone found some easily missable sidequests? There's one dude in the house opposite the pawn guild in Bakbattahl that wants you to get poisoned by a bunch of different stuff and report back to him.

He wants you to take him to a chimera so he can get poisoned himself. I noticed after a while he wasn't around and figured he'd been killed so I finished off the chimera and then he shouted at me from outside the cave that I'd killed it too fast.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Now that the honeymoon period is past, this game is kind of mid. Itll probably be transformed by DLC. I wish it had actual themed dungeons rather than multiple variations of cave with trash mobs, but Ill settle for the inevitable DLC enemy variety.

I love the game a lot but "objectively" it has a lot of issues. It'll be in a funky spot mentally where I'd be like, I think the game is like 7.5 or 8 out of 10, but it's going to be in the top 3 of my GOTY this year because it sets out to do what a lot of other games have tried and actually mostly succeeds at it without compromising its vision, warts and all.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's a more satisfying experience than Skyrim is on a basic wandering around and feeling actual consequences for things. Day and night are more than just a visibility difference, and you have to actually consider what you're carrying around for the most part so the sense of distance and time is actually more acutely felt.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/parmderp/status/1773201401771970740?s=46

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I definitely wouldn't recommend buying this game at $70 but I don't recommend buying any game at $70. I work from home and have a lot of downtime so I had fun with it because it works well for that - it's easy to pick up and put down at any time and it mutes itself when you pause. So that's pretty cool. My major complaints are that there's really not much content outside of quests and fights - which is cool and all, but exploration feels very dull outside of occasional cool emergent battles - there's a grueling amount of meaningless trash fights and there are very, very few rewards worth exploring for. There's almost no exciting loot to find or hidden quests or neat things to find out in the world, not much to unlock (there should be more vocations and skills IMO), tricky secrets to stumble across, etc. There are very few monster types. Everything that happens in this game happens through quests in the villages and cities which mostly amount to "run to this other place" and rarely much more.

Seems like a slam dunk of a $30 Dark Arisen version in a few years but unless you're a real diehard Dragon's Dogma fan it can absolutely be slept on for now.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 29, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Play posted:

I'm pretty sure you can do whatever until you reach the tower. That quest does trigger a sequence though (which you can apparently just ignore lol)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think DD2 largely manages to succeed with its vision, but it falls victim to the issue so many open world RPGs have, which is planning out a huge map that you can't budget appropriately for. you really needed more clades of monsters and more compelling open world dungeons like the big shrine in battahl to help break up the flow, but as it stands, you've kinda seen every trick the game has to deploy by the time you're halfway through it. the vocation system and gear being nothing but a straight vertical ladder doesn't help matters much either

i'm in the same boat as toasterwarrior where i'd put the game in 7/10 territory, but i strongly admire their dedication to what they wanted to do and am impressed with how they took everything that made DD1 compelling and doubled down on it to produce something that feels wholly unique. i'm still interested in seeing DLC with how good bitterblack isle was, but it's still a bit disappointing that they almost nailed the landing but couldn't restrain their ambition enough to make something that was gripping the whole way through

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What exactly was the vision for DD2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dd2 may be a 7/10 game but it's a perfect 7/10 game if you know what I mean.