Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I bounced right off Dragon's Dogma when I tried to play it recently, but the concept of the game is so strong and everything I've seen for 2 still somehow has me unbelievably hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just wonder what kind of shenanigans we'll be getting up to in the plot, I assume it'll be some anime bullshit (not necessarily in a bad way) involving the naive but well-meaning prince

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
So what is the drawback to playing Warfarer? Seems like you can do anything you want, but have limited slots so you can't do everything?

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Cardboard Fox posted:

So what is the drawback to playing Warfarer? Seems like you can do anything you want, but have limited slots so you can't do everything?

Limited skill slots- maybe very limited, from what we've heard- and also lower stats than other classes.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there's some 7m lore video dropping in just over 8h:
https://twitter.com/dragonsdogma/status/1768261233130582197

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy_rEa1QpL8

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Cardboard Fox posted:

There's access to three different weapons, but you have the same number of skill slots as any other class. You have to find some of the skills for other classes in the game through quests, so I expect that it will take a while to really build up Warfarer to be the best it can be, and then figure out what you actually want to get out of it.

In that regard, I think the Warfarer has replaced the Hybrid classes from the first game, and the two colour classes of Dragon's Dogma 2 simply represent ones that are player only. It might explain why the Trickster has a colour scheme which doesn't really match anything else.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

TheMostFrench posted:

There's access to three different weapons, but you have the same number of skill slots as any other class.

In fact, you have less skill slots because one of the slots has to be used by the weapon switching skills.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Excited to hear about all of the square heads and cocksuckers in this game from the man himself

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I just wonder what kind of shenanigans we'll be getting up to in the plot, I assume it'll be some anime bullshit (not necessarily in a bad way) involving the naive but well-meaning prince

you are the alternate universe former pawn of the original game's arisen and now you are the arisen, ready and able to fall in love with a pawn known only as "Feste". it is your destiny

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

So there’s gonna be denuvo on this thing? How long does that usually take to come off, my understanding is that it’s usually removed some time after release?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The moment he caught my eye I knew I was in love

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Captain Foo posted:

So there’s gonna be denuvo on this thing? How long does that usually take to come off, my understanding is that it’s usually removed some time after release?

Usually, 1 year, since Denuvo is a subscription service for the developers, unless Capcom decides to re-subscribe after a year for some reason.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

it depends on the contract 3 months, 6 months, a year. really though it doesn't matter unless the devs patched it in a hot path when they were told not to

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
In the first area of the original game, most of the NPCs call you "cousin". Does anyone know if this will be in the sequel?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Do we know when The review embargo is up? I'm mainly curious about console performance for Series S

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably a couple days before release, Capcom usually are pretty confident like that I think, Street Fighter, the last few Resident Evils and such all had reviews out in decent time prior to launch. I'd guess you might want to wait until actual launch day cause sometimes that's how long it takes for Digital Foundry or some of the other people who get really into that stuff take to release their detailed overviews but you'll be able to glean a good overview from the initial stuff.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

External Organs posted:

Do we know when The review embargo is up? I'm mainly curious about console performance for Series S

Digital foundry snippets of conversation are pretty dour on the uncapped frame rate of DD2. It's a strong possibility the S will be under 30 fps consistently

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Hearing these games are masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

Many pawns saying this.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Now I want him as a pawn voice so he can call every goblin a hooplehead.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Usually, 1 year, since Denuvo is a subscription service for the developers, unless Capcom decides to re-subscribe after a year for some reason.

ah, denuvo. good to know the game will potentially run bad across all platforms.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

AngryBooch posted:

Digital foundry snippets of conversation are pretty dour on the uncapped frame rate of DD2. It's a strong possibility the S will be under 30 fps consistently

:ohdear:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Footage from their own trailers has shown pretty severe frame drops, like DD1 spells on PS3 levels, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up for performance.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DLC Inc posted:

ah, denuvo. good to know the game will potentially run bad across all platforms.

Got any proof that Denuvo causes performance issues on halfway decent hardware? Genuinely, I would like to see it if so since someone inevitably Kramers into a thread any time a game comes out with Denuvo on it to say stuff like this but as far as I know any impact would be on load times which are virtually non-existant with an SSD.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Checking in to the new thread. I might still buy DD2 at launch, but I wish Helldivers 2 wasn't so much fun. Might be able to contain myself for a month or so more. Anyway, hire my pawn!
I think I still have some friends from the SA list of the original DD when we hired each others pawns. My pawn Griz was a huge bastard with a ridiculously deep voice.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

explosivo posted:

Got any proof that Denuvo causes performance issues on halfway decent hardware? Genuinely, I would like to see it if so since someone inevitably Kramers into a thread any time a game comes out with Denuvo on it to say stuff like this but as far as I know any impact would be on load times which are virtually non-existant with an SSD.

"denuvo makes poo poo run bad" is mostly a meme but hearing an RE Engine game isn't running great on current gen consoles is really weird, so I'm expecting my PC to explode trying to run it at this point. All the previous stuff I've played that they made in the new engine has been perfect on consoles so I wish they'd show more from like, a PS5 runthrough

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.
I've seen a lot of speculation that the game is heavily cpu-bound so I wonder if they're doing some sort of crazy simulation under the hood.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Joyboy posted:

I've seen a lot of speculation that the game is heavily cpu-bound so I wonder if they're doing some sort of crazy simulation under the hood.

Real time food molding tech

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

"denuvo makes poo poo run bad" is mostly a meme but hearing an RE Engine game isn't running great on current gen consoles is really weird, so I'm expecting my PC to explode trying to run it at this point. All the previous stuff I've played that they made in the new engine has been perfect on consoles so I wish they'd show more from like, a PS5 runthrough

Did you ever play DD1 on console lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

As someone who theoretically liked Dragon's dogma on a conceptual level, but absolutely could not get past the think layer of jank and quest design, I'm hoping this is closer to more recent open world RPGs and less like Monster hunter.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

External Organs posted:

I don't know for sure since I'm not doing a review, but I heard a day or two before launch.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If I dealt with the xbox 360 forcing you to wait in front of Gran Soren merchant NPCs for 30 seconds for them to finish loading in and still loved the original, I can deal with whatever performance issues this one throws at me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I will say that the character creator gave me a VRAM warning the first time I opened it, and I'm running an RTX 3070, so it seems like it will be demanding in that regard (on the higher settings at least). Unless it failed to detect my graphics card and was looking at the integrated graphics instead, which does happen sometimes, including in NVIDIA's Control Panel itself lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm so excited!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I'm so excited!

That's an SCP creature

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I'm so excited!

Odo...no...

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Torn between PS5 or PC. PS5 has a comfier chair and a bigger screen, PC has a two monitor setup and a better monitor than the PS5’s tv (although considerably smaller).

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Inzombiac posted:

I'm so excited!

Didn't think I'd ever see a Prince Philip pawn but the resemblance is uncanny

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I'm so excited!

So... moist...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DLC Inc posted:

There's a lot that's wrong with Denuvo but performance isn't one of those things.
There's no reason to spread disinformation.

DLC Inc posted:

Street Fighter 6 open world also runs pretty poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've settled on my pawn. I wanted as close to a goblin as I could.

If you use tattoos at a large scale, you can get more exotic skin colors, which is pretty helpful.
Also, to make tattoos look more natural, turn down the opacity to 70-80.