Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

wheeee I'm spinny (plz ignore my clipping issues)

I put together a Warfarer that's mostly Magick Archer for regular fights and a backup Thief-ly plan for fighting the big guys (plus a lightweight Mage staff in my backpack in case I need to hover anywhere). Ricochet Hunter means that if there is a ceiling I need give no fucks whatsoever and I appreciate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I have the same Warfarer setup today. Also, it does not really matter what the weight of your mage staff is if another equipped weapon is heavier: it only counts the heaviest equipped weapon for encumbrance.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As much as I love Ricochet, boltspike can be used everywhere and is hilarious.
It's not nearly as much damage but electrifying everything and everyone in a clusterfuck of light is phenomenal.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't know if it's because of the difficulty mod I was using but I found the starting frost shot to be the most effective skill MA has.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I never unequipped it, yeah. The one that shoots an ice boulder is fun but not as good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got the most mileage out of the wire guided rocket launcher by far

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I just love firing off the fully-charged ricochet hunter shot (dudududuDUM) and then walking around through this pinging curtain of one thousand purple bolts nonchalantly looting things and listening to the beautiful sounds that go on forever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Real winners only use Martyr's Bolt.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I made my pawn into a warrior and I absolutely love seeing him run into a cave or around a corner only to see the corpse of some goblin or lizard creature go flying out with force.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inzombiac posted:

I never unequipped it, yeah. The one that shoots an ice boulder is fun but not as good.

I found it to be really good because it stuns basically everything in one shot. It's fantastic for just bashing drakes out of their casting animations and bullying the hell out of them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I wish my warrior pawn would stop opening a fight with a charged Heavensward Sunder while the monster hangs out just outside of its range, lol.

e: are pawns smart enough to use Windstorm Slash appropriately or is it wasted on them?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Final Update from MordMom

She was anxious about not know what to do for the Unmoored World. I linked her a Polygon guide that listed the steps. It aligned with how everything worked for me. But, as usual, nothing aligned for her. This lead to a lot of frustration and anger. She gets very frustrated when things don't line up with what guides say because she is terrible at troubleshooting and just wants to follow the guide and not have to think about it.

I had no clue what this all meant or how any of this happened. I called her only to learn that she ended up dying during the end credits sequence when you're riding on the big dragon. She was too slow to escape the brine attacks. She ended up throwing a tantrum and deleted the game. I sent her a video of proper completion. So she redownloaded the game and tried again.

Yes, the Playstation has a screenshot feature. No, she does not understand how to use it.

According to her, during the ending when your pawn talks about how it was through your efforts that it gained a will of its own, she just started uncontrollably sobbing to the point that my stepfather had to check on her because he was concerned.

A+

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 25, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So playing around with it a bit, using Warfarer to go Augural Flare > Spiral Arrow is some sicko poo poo. Like 80% of Grigori's max HP levels of loving things up. Problem is, the flare will fade away within five seconds after you swap weapons, so you have to attack it immediately and not miss. This can be a problem with big monsters that like to flail around.

The alternatives would be to use Skull Splitter instead of Spiral Arrow to give yourself a bigger hit box (have to be up close and may end up on top, feeding less hits into flare), let a pawn cast Augural Flare for you (you're waiting on a pawn) or just be a sorcerer and cast Maelstrom so aim is irrelevant.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

According to her, during the ending when your pawn talks about how it was through your efforts that it gained a will of its own, she just started uncontrollably sobbing to the point that my stepfather had to check on her because he was concerned.

A+

This was the one thing in the story that genuinely made me a bit emotional. pawns are strangely some the only NPCs in the game with strong likable characterization so no matter how frustrating their quirks can be I was really attached to my weird little guy by the end. wish there were more cutscenes with the pawn. this moment was the highlight of the game for me

:lovebird:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.eurogamer.net/dragons-dogma-2-success-boosts-capcoms-expected-profits

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Extremely good, with the standard qualifier (it's lovely that financial forecasts have so much power over workers and creative expressions). DD2 has issues, but it's obvious a lot of love went into it, and it led me to rethink how to play single player RPGs. Hopefully this gives the the team more room to iterate and expand. Though I never really got into DD1, my understanding is the expansion lifted up the base game. Would be happy to see that here.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So I bought Dragon's Dogma 1, thinking it would be cheap and fun to tide me over until 2 goes on sale.

Holy poo poo it seems terrible. Like it's really showing it's age. Seems choppy, really poor narrative explaining what you're doing or why you're there, really basic, dull combat, etc.

Is 2 a huge leap forward? I guess I was just surprised at how bad 1 felt compared to even something like Shadow of War or a Batman game or whatever.

EDIT: Realize this might sound snarky, and that wasn't the intent. It's more that I was strongly considering picking up 2, but 1 really just seemed dated and bad, so now I'm really second guessing ever getting 2 if it is not a step forward from 1.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 25, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

So I bought Dragon's Dogma 1, thinking it would be cheap and fun to tide me over until 2 goes on sale.

Holy poo poo it seems terrible. Like it's really showing it's age. Seems choppy, really poor narrative explaining what you're doing or why you're there, really basic, dull combat, etc.

Is 2 a huge leap forward? I guess I was just surprised at how bad 1 felt compared to even something like Shadow of War or a Batman game or whatever.

EDIT: Realize this might sound snarky, and that wasn't the intent. It's more that I was strongly considering picking up 2, but 1 really just seemed dated and bad, so now I'm really second guessing ever getting 2 if it is not a step forward from 1.

If you hate DD1 then DD2 is unlikely to win you over.
It's literally the exact same game with modern graphics and about 20% more finished than DD1.

Although for the record, I attempted playing and dropping DD1 half a dozen times before it finally clicked for me and turned into one of my favorite games ever.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Dull combat?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jack Trades posted:

Although for the record, I attempted playing and dropping DD1 half a dozen times before it finally clicked for me and turned into one of my favorite games ever.

I picked up DD1 a year or so after Dark Arisen came out. I tried getting into it but bounced off after an hour or two. Plus, I got distracted by other games.

Meanwhile, I loving loved DD2. It might be a mindset change in the years since I tried DD1. For DD2, I took the game at the game's pace, not a pace I tried to force on it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I picked up DD1 a year or so after Dark Arisen came out. I tried getting into it but bounced off after an hour or two. Plus, I got distracted by other games.

Meanwhile, I loving loved DD2. It might be a mindset change in the years since I tried DD1. For DD2, I took the game at the game's pace, not a pace I tried to force on it.

I think that's exactly it. Dragon's Dogma, both games, want you to play at it's pace and if you try to force assumptions on it you're gonna have a bad time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I think that's exactly it. Dragon's Dogma, both games, want you to play at it's pace and if you try to force assumptions on it you're gonna have a bad time.

Yeah. Dragon's Dogma basically says "play at my pace or break yourself on my rocky shores."

The only other game in recent memory that feels that way is Red Dead Redemption 2. Fortunately, Dragon's Dogma is a good game.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

SlyFrog posted:

Is 2 a huge leap forward?

2 is a bit more contemporary but the series is decidedly not aiming to be a silky smooth AAA third-person game (even though IMO the balance between physics interactions and animation priority is admirable).

The series' charms lie mainly in its flexible character progression, its deliberate obfuscation of quests, relationships, and enemy weaknesses, and its "emergent" moments aided by the pawn system and physics-powered interactions. Oh, and its hilarious early-modern-english dialogue.

For what it's worth, both games have slow-burn narratives which hit a tipping point and drastically alter the world, but yes, the series still very much thrives on mystery and gameplay quirks. I think things like the forgery and pawn systems are great and you just won't find those anywhere else.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah the obfuscation is what really invites the souls-y comparisons, especially for its approach to side quests. It'll tell you once and then let you do your thing

First two times i made sure to save Rodge (kidnapped by wolves at checkpoint town). Unfortunately this time his quest triggered while i was finally beating the loving sphinx :argh: and by the time I remembered and went to the cave all I found was a tattered shirt

But then there's quests that are weirdly resilient to you not doing anything, like i skipped Sara's stuff entirely in ng+, never even went in their spot, and in postgame both she and her boss could do dwarven smithing.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

f#a# posted:

2 is a bit more contemporary but the series is decidedly not aiming to be a silky smooth AAA third-person game (even though IMO the balance between physics interactions and animation priority is admirable).

The series' charms lie mainly in its flexible character progression, its deliberate obfuscation of quests, relationships, and enemy weaknesses, and its "emergent" moments aided by the pawn system and physics-powered interactions. Oh, and its hilarious early-modern-english dialogue.

For what it's worth, both games have slow-burn narratives which hit a tipping point and drastically alter the world, but yes, the series still very much thrives on mystery and gameplay quirks. I think things like the forgery and pawn systems are great and you just won't find those anywhere else.

This is super helpful, thanks. I was just admittedly surprised at how clunky and jerky the animation and stuff was in combat - this is the same company that, to my knowledge, makes the Monster Hunter games, which are decidedly more fluid. That's why I was wondering if that was mostly a product of its age, or just the nature of the series itself.

And it's not that I'm looking for Monster Hunter - I want something with some story and development, but was just surprised at how bad movement and fighting felt in comparison between DD1 and many other games (Elden Ring, Batman stuff, Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War, Bloodborne, Spiderman stuff, etc.). It also didn't help that perhaps things weren't explained quite as well in the tutorial - like climbing on the monster is literally just "press R2 to climb on the monster," with no real further explanation as to why I'm doing that, etc.

I'll have to think about this one a bit more than I originally thought - I know it gets a ton of love so there's obviously a lot of good there - thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
this franchise loves to give monsters specific vulnerable spots that you can probably figure out just by looking at them. climbing is a critical tool for hitting those, especially in 1 - 2 gives you a few more tools for just exploding weak points.

back when it first came out the thread was called something like climb a cow, pitch a pig because... you can climb like a thing and throw anything you can carry. this gives you a lot of stuff you can do. in 2 you can also grab and shove or pull, too.

I'm not going to say these things make it better than a game like Skyrim or Elden Ring or Monster Hunter, but the way you approach combat is necessarily different and sometimes just throwing your pawn literally is a good option.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The mage pawn I've had hired for most of ng+ has noted my tendency to get bodied by wolves and goblins while my magic bow is out, and has started to grab and toss them out of my way since she has no real offensive magic equipped. She wasn't doing that until the last couple hours of gameplay so either it only happens if a pawn has extremely high affinity or it's a learned skill.

If it's learned, I hope she takes it back to her master.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Yeah, that's the thing - DD1 is probably my favorite game ever (and I have loved my time with DD2) and yet I refuse to ever, ever recommend the game to anyone because it is a janky, scuffed, unfinished, and just plain weird mess. There's so much depth to its gameplay systems and about ninety percent of that depth is entirely hidden from you until you read about it afterwards. Instead, that depth is just gonna gently caress you over because you didn't know it was happening. There's less of that in DD2, but it's still there.

It took me several hours of gameplay to actually settle down and start enjoying DD1 because it kept being weird and doing things I didn't understand or didn't like. There's this difference between saying 'well, I guess that's how this game is' and actually, viscerally understanding that.

Since you've already got the game and are giving it a try, though, I do have some basic recommendations:
- The three kinds of class (red, yellow, blue) are all vastly different experiences. If you don't like the class you started with, a different class might work better for you. I am ride-or-die for the yellow classes myself.

- Take it slow if you can stand it. Talk to everyone in Cassardis before you leave. Try to explore the entire town, including climbing on walls and things. Go outside for a little bit and then run back home with the things you picked up, get some rest, and try again.

- There's nothing stopping you from exploring, but the game will not help you in any way. It is hugely excited about getting you lost and then just loving murdering you.

- You are going to miss things unless you slavishly follow a FAQ.

- Getting to the actual big city is where the game opens up hugely. Getting to the actual big city is also hard as balls if you aren't already at least somewhat comfortable with the combat systems. I am infuriated by harpies to this day.

- The big monsters are the game's tentpole and they will only get bigger. Figuring out where and how to hit them is the important thing.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I only hope we have some of the best lines come back in a DD2 dlc. randomly hearing a pawn shout "SOAKED TO THE BONE!" from across the loving map never got old; neither did the sight lines for cockatrices.

I think it was this thread that I saw someone compare the dragon's dogma franchise to eurojank and I think that puts my heart in the right place. I love it for a lot of the reasons I like STALKER and EYE and Pathologic. weird games that are great because they're weird.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Picayune posted:

- There's nothing stopping you from exploring, but the game will not help you in any way. It is hugely excited about getting you lost and then just loving murdering you.

You can't get lost Arisen: all roads lead to Gran Soren.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I reached the end of the true ending last night in a 99% guide-free run after about 70 hours. I never ran into the pawn plague, I failed a bunch of quests, I never found the Sphinx after she flew off once, I never even saw a Medusa outside the intro, and I killed the dragon 3 times before I figured out what to do. There's still so much to do and to see, but I think I'll save it until the rumored Expansion or like 5 months for a myabe updated difficulty mode or new game plus remix or something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Picayune posted:

One of the things about DD1 is that while it does allow you to freely explore, there's actually not a ton of reason to go somewhere before the game tells you to. It's a lot more like (pre-BOTW) Zelda games in structure, where you can wander around but you will hit various dead ends in dungeons because you simply aren't supposed to be there yet and the big set piece the dungeon was built for isn't active until you actually have the quest.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

I reached the end of the true ending last night in a 99% guide-free run after about 70 hours. I never ran into the pawn plague, I failed a bunch of quests, I never found the Sphinx after she flew off once, I never even saw a Medusa outside the intro, and I killed the dragon 3 times before I figured out what to do. There's still so much to do and to see, but I think I'll save it until the rumored Expansion or like 5 months for a myabe updated difficulty mode or new game plus remix or something.

I had a similar experience, didn't even find the Sphinx. And I love that I got to have my own adventure distinct from everyone else's. I fully intend to replay and so I'm keeping myself unspoiled on things, first time a game has made me want to do that.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Caster combat is pretty dull, especially compared to how interactive everything else is.

Picayune posted:

- Getting to the actual big city is where the game opens up hugely. Getting to the actual big city is also hard as balls if you aren't already at least somewhat comfortable with the combat systems. I am infuriated by harpies to this day.
And going back your previous point about the game beng utterly unfinished: right as it feels like it's really getting going it just ends. Because they didn't have the time or resources to flesh out the game.

Yeah I know there's the post game and BBI, but for me at least the main game ended right as it was clicking for me.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Regarding endings and late game, it is really strange that both entries are like that. Unmoored world is such a good concept that just...you spend three hours and run out of poo poo to do.

And as-is, I stepped into ng+ and just felt totally deflated one-shotting goblins and dragons. I WANT to spend more time with dd2 but there is zero reason to do so right now.

And yes, I am bad at self-imposed restrictions on gear and skills.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I never got the impression that the original Dragon's Dogma was in any way unfinished across any of my uh... 9 playthroughs? Is that just the usual gamer code for "it's not the game I wish it was, guess the devs just didn't have time to implement the stuff I wish it had"?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Volte posted:

I never got the impression that the original Dragon's Dogma was in any way unfinished across any of my uh... 9 playthroughs? Is that just the usual gamer code for "it's not the game I wish it was, guess the devs just didn't have time to implementing the stuff I wish it had"?

the guy who directed the game has put on talks about everything that didn't make it into the game

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Almost every game has tons of stuff that doesn't make it into the game, that doesn't make them unfinished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the main reason people say that DD1 is unfinished is that it's unfinished in a way that's glaringly obvious. lots of games get poo poo cut from them all the time, but few game present you with a large, unfilled world map that you then proceed to explore something like 1/3rd of before the game ends