Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Earwicker posted:

they also just need, in general, to chill out. i walk into a town and these people hanging out with me start running all over the place stealing poo poo immediately. its a bit embarassing. i know the game doesn't have a proper stealth/theft mechanic but at least be a little subtle about it jeez. also the constant high fives, just dial it down a bit.

I haven't played this one yet, but you make it sound really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I actually find the pawn chatter/behavior generally endearing and I'm like 40 hours in. I've never had them stop mid-battle to high-five though, it's pretty consistently when a fight is over. Sometimes it's repetitive but not that often.

There's a pawn specialization that makes them not talk somewhere in the game, though I don't think I've seen a Rift pawn with it yet.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sloober posted:

i went for difficulty, scaling, better NG+ and DLC like bitterblack isle

Same plus more variety for the weak enemies you fight constantly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
When the fight is over is when they high five.

They may not recognize the goblin 5 feet from them though, so high five time buddy.

High fiving is ok and good.

The amount that they do it makes it awful and bad.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

wow, bad takes.

high fives should be reserved for moments of victory or when something cool happens, not when they randomly bump into you in the middle of a fight!

maybe i just have a guy with that disease. maybe there's more than one disease. maybe some of the pawns are just idiots.

Third World Reagan posted:

The amount that they do it makes it awful and bad.

yeah this. the first couple times it happens i liked it. but after many hours of gameplay it feels a bit spammy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i don't mind the subject matter but they all just talk way too much. they are also far too similar to one another, personality-wise. i felt like the last game had a bit more diversity in their tones of voice and attitudes but maybe thats rose tinted glasses

they also just need, in general, to chill out. i walk into a town and these people hanging out with me start running all over the place stealing poo poo immediately. its a bit embarassing. i know the game doesn't have a proper stealth/theft mechanic but at least be a little subtle about it jeez. also the constant high fives, just dial it down a bit.

Lol mine rarely go around stealing things, I am the one who loots things.

I like the pawn quotes but I do miss them commenting on enemies. Goblins Ill like fire is missing.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ultrachrist posted:

Trickster is a funny class. On one hand it's boring as gently caress. On the other, it's unique, powerful, and weirdly compelling.

I basically just stuck with it long enough for the augment that alerts you to seeker's tokens and switched off. I think my NG+ run is gonna be all the vocations I haven't messed with in this run (mostly casters and ranged stuff).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Lol mine rarely go around stealing things, I am the one who loots things.

I like the pawn quotes but I do miss them commenting on enemies. Goblins Ill like fire is missing.

i wish i could make them go steal stuff much more intentionally. do you have any idea how much time it saves looting when you run your own little orphan petty theft ring? lots! I'm not super paranoid about knowing where stuff is that they got it, in fact, i do not care where they found it. It's mine now. Scatter, pawns, and find me filthy lucre

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Mystic Spearhand seems kinda busted. There are a ton of staggering or freezing skills and they do the job very well.

The charged timestop + force throw skill stunlocked the Chimera in the Waterfall Cave & it never got a chance to do anything. It's slightly less effective without a bunch of throwables on the ground, but you really just need 3-4 laying around.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sloober posted:

i wish i could make them go steal stuff much more intentionally. do you have any idea how much time it saves looting when you run your own little orphan petty theft ring? lots! I'm not super paranoid about knowing where stuff is that they got it, in fact, i do not care where they found it. It's mine now. Scatter, pawns, and find me filthy lucre

yeah to be clear i dont mind that the pawns "steal" its just that they do it an a brazen, random and completely disorganized way that mostly just results in inventory clutter. if you could direct your thief to specifically break into some rich knight's house and make off with their armor while they are sleeping that would be cool.

but also the way it happens is just an annoying reminder that there isn't really a "stealing" in the game at all in spite of having a supposed rogue class, there's just loot everywhere for the taking

would be nice to at least instruct them to limit themselves to just a specific class of item, like "go get some health stuff""

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I get that Thief is crazy with the spin2win move, but nothing tops Mystic Spearhand. It feels like it has tools for everything, and the shield is so drat good for you and your allies.

My biggest challenge right now is forcing myself to play other vocations for the Augments. Spearhand has a few good ones but a lot are meh. I did archer, which seems crazy good but was boring to play, for the stamina regeneration and I’ll probably do Fighter just to get Thew for QoL.

Verve from Thief seems to give about 30 strength. I know the answer is probably “just do it” but is that worth it? I’m at level 20~ and I have 350~ strength already, so it kind of feels like a 5-8% increase isn’t that good overall.

I’m also considering doing mage just for the boost to boons so my shield last longer, but 30% isn’t a huge boost for how busted the shield is already.

Any other must-have augments for Spearhand? The Sorcerer boost to magic damage is probably useful, but I really don’t want to max out that class.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I hired a pawn with the posh-est, most arrogant voice imaginable and he's constantly coming across as passive aggressive and condescending. A truly punchable voice. He's wearing a full helmet so I can't see his eyes, but I might just throw him off a cliff anyway.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

People keep citing the Thief's helmsplitter as being the OP thing but I haven't even bothered with the helmsplitter since unlocking the advanced form of gouge and run or whatever it's called. Kreeble up to head, gouge eyeballs out, swing for the fences while creature is on the ground then rinse/repeat if they get back up.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

explosivo posted:

People keep citing the Thief's helmsplitter as being the OP thing but I haven't even bothered with the helmsplitter since unlocking the advanced form of gouge and run or whatever it's called. Kreeble up to head, gouge eyeballs out, swing for the fences while creature is on the ground then rinse/repeat if they get back up.

helmsplitter works perfectly on certain things because it leaps you up to the perfect head height - ogres and minotaurs for example are just the right size to chain weakspot hits into the dome with it (draw and quarter is very good tho yes)

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I get that Thief is crazy with the spin2win move, but nothing tops Mystic Spearhand. It feels like it has tools for everything, and the shield is so drat good for you and your allies.

My biggest challenge right now is forcing myself to play other vocations for the Augments. Spearhand has a few good ones but a lot are meh. I did archer, which seems crazy good but was boring to play, for the stamina regeneration and I’ll probably do Fighter just to get Thew for QoL.

Verve from Thief seems to give about 30 strength. I know the answer is probably “just do it” but is that worth it? I’m at level 20~ and I have 350~ strength already, so it kind of feels like a 5-8% increase isn’t that good overall.

I’m also considering doing mage just for the boost to boons so my shield last longer, but 30% isn’t a huge boost for how busted the shield is already.

Any other must-have augments for Spearhand? The Sorcerer boost to magic damage is probably useful, but I really don’t want to max out that class.

i dont really think augments are super powerful in this one so i'm not sure i'd say any are must haves. i tend to run with the defense, -max health loss and the +str or mag ones b/c nothing feels super meaningful. i do like lethality for the weakspot damage boost. in NG+ i've gone with just utility augments because frankly i am too powerful for the game now and dont need damage augments

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 28, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sloober posted:

helmsplitter works perfectly on certain things because it leaps you up to the perfect head height - ogres and minotaurs for example are just the right size to chain weakspot hits into the dome with it (draw and quarter is very good tho yes)

Yeah I can see that, I think I stopped using it because I was draw'ing and quarter'ing every large enemy which put them on the ground and then I was just helmsplitter'ing air above them ineffectively. Maybe I should switch out and go back, I know helmsplitter does do insane damage especially if you've got an element imbued.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

K8.0 posted:

My biggest complaint with this game so far is the pawn chatter. I really miss all the enemy-related chatter from the first one. It was much more engaging to me than the more idle chitchat they've thrown in this time around. The comments about the nature of the party get old fast, where "Wolves hunt in packs" never got old, and actually had utility in that your pawns would let you know what engaged you pretty much as soon as it did. Arguably more importantly for players new to the series, the pawns constantly gave you information on tactics, and this time around they kinda just... don't.

I agree with this. "Wolves ill like fire!" and the like never stopped amusing me as dumb as it was. Meanwhile like, I'm kind of tired of hearing my party talk about how none of us have the same vocations every five minutes.

Also one of my quests is hilariously borked. I gave the girl the magic books, she's learning, but the quest isn't progressing. After like a week of this I realized that the entire conceit of the quest was that her grandma was trying to stop her from learning magic, except I never saw grandma ever since that first time I entered the hut and she walked off into the darkness. Grandma loving died, and I have no idea where her corpse is. I assume wolves got her.

I can't believe anti-magic grandma won, this kid will never learn magic.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just started walking west and ended up in a checkpoint border town and everyone showered me with quests immediately. I plopped the portcrystal down because gently caress making that walk again. But I probably should finish up the Ulrika quest and the coronation before continuing stuff here more? Everything in the shops is a good improvement, but costs sooo much... my warrior is level 6 now, but I'm feeling the slowness in regular fights. Also been leveling mystic spearman and now I have some new abilities to try with that vocation.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nuebot posted:

I agree with this. "Wolves ill like fire!" and the like never stopped amusing me as dumb as it was. Meanwhile like, I'm kind of tired of hearing my party talk about how none of us have the same vocations every five minutes.

Also one of my quests is hilariously borked. I gave the girl the magic books, she's learning, but the quest isn't progressing. After like a week of this I realized that the entire conceit of the quest was that her grandma was trying to stop her from learning magic, except I never saw grandma ever since that first time I entered the hut and she walked off into the darkness. Grandma loving died, and I have no idea where her corpse is. I assume wolves got her.

You can find dead NPCs in the morgue after a few days to Wakestone them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Master only hires men?

GAAAAAYYYYYYEEEEE

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I think Everdraed mentioned this earlier in the thread, but you can buy dyes from the rift merchant at the pawns guild outside of Bakhbattal and use them at the cosmetics shop there to make your pawn stand out a little bit more.

Don't think I've seen any other pawns in the rift using special dyes yet.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zore posted:

You can find dead NPCs in the morgue after a few days to Wakestone them.

Hopefully she's still there. It's been a real long time. I'll probably check...the main city? That's the nearest morgue I guess and see if she's there. Come to think of it I've never been to the morgue, maybe there will be fun surprises and people I never knew dead in there to prod back awake.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I started throwing boulders at enemies and now my pawns loving love doing that, it's surprisingly effective

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I believe NPCs will respawn after like two weeks? Or is that only for dragonsplague?

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014
I kind of wish you could immediately see the Pawn Quest Rewards players have put in the Rift Menu. Feels like you have to manually check each pawn to have that information. No sir, i won't do this just for an apple.

I'm actually glad that info is straight up added in our goon pawn list excel sheet. Way easier to see what people need, it's fantastic.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is the Mage class kinda like playing a Mage in Eldenring in the sense that it feels very "easy mode" or like an "afterthought" compared to using all the actual melee weapons? I feel like I'm just mindlessly spamming Magic Missile and everything is autolocked/auto aim.

I kind of want to reroll, but I don't want to re-do the tutorial :sigh:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Is the Mage class kinda like playing a Mage in Eldenring in the sense that it feels very "easy mode" or like an "afterthought" compared to using all the actual melee weapons? I feel like I'm just mindlessly spamming Magic Missile and everything is autolocked/auto aim.

You can change vocation at almost any time you can access one of the NPCs that lets you (usually at the Vocation's Guild, or innkeep if the town doesn't have one).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so far all of my pawns (as well as my own character) are cosplays based on Ada Palmer's Terra Ignota book series

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Nuebot posted:

Hopefully she's still there. It's been a real long time. I'll probably check...the main city? That's the nearest morgue I guess and see if she's there. Come to think of it I've never been to the morgue, maybe there will be fun surprises and people I never knew dead in there to prod back awake.

There's a tooltip about it, if they die in Vermont they go to the Charnel House in the noble quarter (there's also a back staircase abutting the main part of the city). The Charnel House is marked on your map by a coffin symbol and she should've gone there, there's multiple floors with spots for tons of coffins.

I've heard some NPCs also revive if you wait sufficiently long enough, but I'm not sure about the details.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 28, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sab669 posted:

If you're not jiving with it, then once you're done the tutorial and you get to the camp with the first inn of the game you can swap your vocation.

Nancy posted:

There's a tooltip about it, if they die in Vermont they go to the Charnel House in the noble quarter (there's also a back staircase abutting the main part of the city). The Charnel House is marked on your map by a coffin symbol and she should've gone there, there's multiple floors with spots for tons of coffins.

I've heard some NPCs also seem to revive if you wait sufficiently long enough, but I'm not sure about the details.

Thanks! I'll go find granny next time I play, she's going to be surprised when she wakes up in a city nearly two days travel away from her grand daughter who's learning forbidden magics.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I'm kind of tired of hearing my party talk about how none of us have the same vocations every five minutes.

"Let us use our unique skills blah blah", or "look we're all women." Pawn chatter is dumb and annoying and the pawn lovers in this thread sicken me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AcidCat posted:

"Let us use our unique skills blah blah", or "look we're all women." Pawn chatter is dumb and annoying and the pawn lovers in this thread sicken me.

Jack Trades posted:

wow, bad takes.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Pawn Lover emerges immediately.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I do wish pawns commented on enemy resistances/weaknesses more, because I'm still not sure about them for like 90% of enemies.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

AcidCat posted:

Pawn Lover emerges immediately.

poasters ill like banter

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sloober posted:

poasters ill like banter

Fie!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

AcidCat posted:

Words worth hearing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo if Pawns are going to constantly talk they should at least be using their "knowledge of other worlds" to gossip about the hard drive contents of other players they are loaned out to.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pawns definitely still talk about wolves hating fire but it is fairly rare.

Although I think I'm hearing it more often the further I get into the game so maybe they are just slow to learn it?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

tbh the thing I'm really sick of is just wolves in general, it seems like every time I finish fighting a goblin group I take 10 steps and hear that howling that signals another insignificant fight

The pawns can either talk about them or not I don't care, I'll take "ours is a party of women" over that because at least it means I have a moment's peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sloober posted:

Simple pawns seem like the game’s Acquisitor equivalent and the ones who will run in to strip out all the copper wiring they can find. My Straightforward pawn doesn’t really care about picking anything up

I haven’t used many simple pawns yet but it gives me a laugh when they suddenly go apeshit offscreen and 6 gathered items pop up in a stack