Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Shyrka posted:

He wants you to take him to a chimera so he can get poisoned himself. I noticed after a while he wasn't around and figured he'd been killed so I finished off the chimera and then he shouted at me from outside the cave that I'd killed it too fast.

i carried his rear end into the snakes venom cloud and he thanked me and ran out of my arms home

unfortunately the quest seemed to break from there, as he's at home now but just walks away from his house towards where the chimera was. when i talk to him he's saying the same line he said when he got poisoned about it coursing through his veins and feeling good like the little freak he is.

that said the quest wont finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

What exactly was the vision for DD2?

creating a world that feels vast and hostile to navigate with a suite of systems dedicated to making you feel the friction of traveling. or, to put it another way: they wanted to create something that genuinely captured the D&D Feel of adventure

i think they absolutely nailed that part with how every element of the game works towards the common goal, but even great gameplay engines need constant fuel to keep them running, and the dogs in battahl being red instead of gray ain't it

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Tabletops posted:

it was indeed.

ahhh, okay, I was sorta assuming it wouldn't be too punitive on pawns' damage (I probably did 90%+ of damage annihilating her backside with erupting shots) but that was probably a dumb line of thinking given it's dragon's dogma haha

given how you are immediately thrown into that fight and pawns will jump in, that's honestly a little too foreknowledge specific and unforgiving to me, unless waiting will totally prevent all attacking I suppose?

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 29, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Play posted:

Do not give the wyrmslife crystals to Ambrosius if you don't want to set in motion the end of the game.

Good to know. I guess if I want to do the Sphinx stuff, I have to do it before that point? I still have no idea where she is, and I've explored nearly all of the map.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vermain posted:

creating a world that feels vast and hostile to navigate with a suite of systems dedicated to making you feel the friction of traveling. or, to put it another way: they wanted to create something that genuinely captured the D&D Feel of adventure

i think they absolutely nailed that part with how every element of the game works towards the common goal, but even great gameplay engines need constant fuel to keep them running, and the dogs in battahl being red instead of gray ain't it

Idunno, feels like you could accomplish that for most adventure games by just cranking enemy density up to 11

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

At least to me it's a open world D&D simulator focusing on random encounters and escalation, which no other game compares to. The simulationist aspects of the combat and world feed into this, and making fast travel either come with risks (cart ambushes and the drat thing getting wrecked means you're finishing this journey on foot, sucker) or be expensive and need investment (portcrystals need to be planted, ferrystones can't be microtransaction'd and cost a fair bit when it matters, ie. you don't have gently caress you money yet).

Like you can compare it with Elden Ring but ER is a massive open world dungeon, there's very little emergent about it, and I say this as someone who's played a ton of that game. That's the key difference to me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Idunno, feels like you could accomplish that for most adventure games by just cranking enemy density up to 11

elden ring's open world is packed to the gills with monsters, but having a magic doublejumping horse and instant bonfire travel creates a categorically different experience compared to a game where you have to ration out your portacrystals and otherwise slum it down the country roads to get where you need to go

i made the comparison before in this thread, but it's the difference between going down into blighttown for the first time in DS1 versus going down to the gutter in DS2: you're deep underground in the dark and fetid underworld in both cases, but the fact that you can just instantly hop away back into sunlight in DS2 if it gets too tough creates a very different feeling than the friction DS1 pre-lordvessel provides

Reive
May 21, 2009

So after getting enough RC I bought an art of metamorphosis to remake my MC and two things that suck, one you cannot change your name or moniker so you might now have a wildly inappropriate name for your new arisen, and two despite giving you an option to change voice it seems like it's bugged and is keeping what I chose the first time.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

elden ring's open world is packed to the gills with monsters, but having a magic doublejumping horse and instant bonfire travel creates a categorically different experience compared to a game where you have to ration out your portacrystals and otherwise slum it down the country roads to get where you need to go

i made the comparison before in this thread, but it's the difference between going down into blighttown for the first time in DS1 versus going down to the gutter in DS2: you're deep underground in the dark and fetid underworld in both cases, but the fact that you can just instantly hop away back into sunlight in DS2 if it gets too tough creates a very different feeling than the friction DS1 pre-lordvessel provides
Yeah, one of the most memorable moments of my first Dark Souls playthrough is when my only good weapon broke in Blightdown and I had no way to repair it on me, so I had to go all the way back up and out of Blighttown, through the Depths, and all the way back to Andre, with basically no weapon. It felt bad at the time, but I still remember overcoming it fondly like 11 years later. I had a similar thing in DD2 the other day when my pawn got taken by the brine when I was in the middle of nowhere, no ferrystones on me, he had my only camping supply, my max health was really low, and it became night. It was a rough trek back to the city but the feeling of finally setting foot back inside is something you just can't get without that kind of thing being able to happen.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Tabletops posted:

you don't have the invulnerability bubble for your whole team?

mystic spearhand was the first vocation i beat a drake with because it was so radically easy lol

i also don't get the lack of synergy stuff, you get the charge + divebomb for dealing with big mobs/getting on their backs instantly, you have the little magic missile things (well it's upgrade mostly) which is great for dealing with trash or flying monsters or just adding dps, and you get a bunch of other skills that seem neat but i never really used. like the big charge up laser thing which is probably great for building stun on big monsters.

I didn't have the upgraded bubble, so I'd use it and my party would inevitably be spread out and end up taking some big hits. Which meant that I had to go grab them and run off to try and revive, which is usually when one of the drake's spells would pop and get me, which the bubble didn't seem to help with.

I haven't had much luck with the charge attack putting me in an advantageous position against big monsters, and I admittedly swapped out the magic missile one as soon as I could because it didn't seem very strong. Other than the charge and shield, I had the divebomb equipped, which isn't much help against a drake (the heart is on the underside), and the telekinesis spell, which again didn't help as I was out in the open with little to utilize.

Sorry I'm not as good as you, I guess :shrug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vermain posted:

Honestly, I can see where you're coming from, and I'll readily admit that my main gripe with the game has to do with the low challenge, and lack of an endgame, so maybe my vision didn't line up with the devs'.
However, I also feel the game fails at setting up a truly emergent world, mainly because of the dire enemy variety, and the simple and dull dungeons.
The only enemy I felt created truly emergent scenarios was the gryphon. It's disruptive and dangerous, and you often don't see it before it's on top of you. Not to mention that it could take you for a ride, literally, to the other side of the map.
The cyclops, on the other hand, almost always went the same way. They even teased that "cyclops bridge" as a thing before launch, and I saw that exactly once, in a place that would have taken me 10 seconds to go around anyway.

Meh, just feels like a whole lot of wasted potential, that's ended up with an overall middling game when we could have had something great.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im not normally one to complain about a game being too easy, but i just had a cyclops completely give up in the middle of a fight. as in, it had a full health bar left and it just lay down on the ground its back, and did absolutely nothing while my one pawns jumped up and down on its belly stabbing it and the other two torched it. i just kind of stood there myself because there wasnt much left to contribute and the whole thing just seemed a bit sad

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

https://i.imgur.com/a87ckO8.mp4

See that mountain? You cant climb it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

It's already something special and great for a lot of us as it is.

I'm getting to experience everything I loved about the first game all over again without the need for Eternal Sunshine technology. That's worth my money

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
When drakes do their freaky mind control poo poo, can you stop them by bashing the gently caress out of their grabbing arm? Or is it just best to have something to quickly deal a lot of knockdown damage to their head/heart?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

what captured me forcibly and distinctively playing DD:DA (never played without the expansion) was pretty much

1. experiencing an adventuring group of helpful and entertaining pawns enabled by me and my friends' creativity
2. actively climbing all over giant goddamn monsters to savagely whale on their weakspots
3. exploring a world that has intriguing intricacies (especially in quests and npcs) that, whatever the actual implementations are, feel like they enable an impressive possibility space

I think DD2 nailed the poo poo outta those core concepts just like the first, and while I'd have any number of personal opinions and tweaks on its friction design and mechanical conveniences, none of it seemed so off-putting to me personally that it hampered the goodness of those core elements. pretty much I just want more content and diversity to engage with them even more, love dat core

I really, really hope they do something along the lines of DA, that they've gotten the resources to pursue that and won't be dissuaded from bothering by a maybe not-so-down-for-it generalized response, as much as I understand and get where that comes from and think there's a lotta validity in those feelings

ain't nuthin' quite like dragon's dogma, for better or for worse haha

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Everdraed posted:

ahhh, okay, I was sorta assuming it wouldn't be too punitive on pawns' damage (I probably did 90%+ of damage annihilating her backside with erupting shots) but that was probably a dumb line of thinking given it's dragon's dogma haha

given how you are immediately thrown into that fight and pawns will jump in, that's honestly a little too foreknowledge specific and unforgiving to me, unless waiting will totally prevent all attacking I suppose?

yeah telling to wait usually works, i hit the button every 15 or 20 seconds out of an abundance of caution

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Earwicker posted:

im not normally one to complain about a game being too easy, but i just had a cyclops completely give up in the middle of a fight. as in, it had a full health bar left and it just lay down on the ground its back, and did absolutely nothing while my one pawns jumped up and down on its belly stabbing it and the other two torched it. i just kind of stood there myself because there wasnt much left to contribute and the whole thing just seemed a bit sad

Hmm. I think on one hand, the game needs fewer of these pointless trash mobs chasing you all the way to the next town, so you always arrive somewhere with fifty billion enemies in tow, and on the other hand, it needs more opponents like the drake, which is genuinely dangerous unless you know the right tactics to use, or have reached a certain level. As it stands, at level 52 I don't feel like there's anything that could possibly challenge me, unless the endgame has some surprises in store.

I am still having a blast playing this, though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

There's a much better mod now for adjusting the difficulty.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/195?tab=description

I still wonder what the "dynamic difficulty" they talked about supposed to be.

Jack, you said that even the base settings this mod has feels a lot better paced than vanilla difficulty? Is that right? I'm planning ahead for a replay since I know what quests to expect now.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

404notfound posted:

I didn't have the upgraded bubble, so I'd use it and my party would inevitably be spread out and end up taking some big hits. Which meant that I had to go grab them and run off to try and revive, which is usually when one of the drake's spells would pop and get me, which the bubble didn't seem to help with.

I haven't had much luck with the charge attack putting me in an advantageous position against big monsters, and I admittedly swapped out the magic missile one as soon as I could because it didn't seem very strong. Other than the charge and shield, I had the divebomb equipped, which isn't much help against a drake (the heart is on the underside), and the telekinesis spell, which again didn't help as I was out in the open with little to utilize.

Sorry I'm not as good as you, I guess :shrug:

sorry that came off as so dismissive. the bubble absolutely works on everything the drake does including it's spells

toasterwarrior posted:

Jack, you said that even the base settings this mod has feels a lot better paced than vanilla difficulty? Is that right? I'm planning ahead for a replay since I know what quests to expect now.

just so you know, that mod (and every RE:framework mod) can get applied twice (or more) if you were to disengage with a mob and fight it again, like a drake or gryffon flying off and then you fight it again. the way it (and all re:framework scripts work) is they apply their effect at some triggered moment (in this case, when combat begins) and thus can stack indefinitely, leading to invulnerable monsters or other stuff

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Phlegmish posted:

Normally a guy walks up to you saying Brant has more for you to do. Maybe you missed it. Yeah, just go to the inn at night and speak to him again.

e: actually I think you just need to do the Shadowy Figure quest, it is in fact Brant-related

Thanks this is probably my issue then. I tried figuring that quest out for a while but couldn't spot the guy. Just looked it up and I guess there's nothing to it really, I just missed him.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Went back to the magick archer maister and she offered a quest. I declined because I wanted to talk to her husband about smithing first and now she won't offer it again. Hope that wasn't important.

Is there a port crystal on this island anywhere? Ready to go back to other areas but I don't have a free one at the moment.

edit: dabnir's grotto was cool. I got a mace with a permanent holy enchant

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tabletops posted:

just so you know, that mod (and every RE:framework mod) can get applied twice (or more) if you were to disengage with a mob and fight it again, like a drake or gryffon flying off and then you fight it again. the way it (and all re:framework scripts work) is they apply their effect at some triggered moment (in this case, when combat begins) and thus can stack indefinitely, leading to invulnerable monsters or other stuff

Dang, that's an issue alright. Hopefully the modder finds a fix.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I failed to rescue an npc because I respec'd vocation before starting a quest that is significantly harder than I thought it would be, and I hated the new vocation. The quest is currently marked as me having to go back and tell the npc I failed to rescue the person she wanted me to save.

Will using a wakestone actually reverse the state of this quest, making me have successfully rescued him? Or are the wakestones more just for reviving npc's that you need to get further quests from and stuff?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 29, 2024

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
gotta say, it takes a whole lot of something as a game dev to plop down portcrystals in two out of the three first towns you visit, only to have those be literally the only ones in the game

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

LibbyM posted:

I failed to rescue an npc because I respec'd vocation before starting a quest that is significantly harder than I thought it would be, and I hated the new vocation. The quest is currently marked as me having to go back and tell the npc I failed to rescue the person she wanted me to save.

Will using a wakestone actually reverse the state of this quest, making me have successfully rescued him? Or are the wakestones more just for reviving npc's that you need to get further quests from and stuff?

It'll count as a successful rescue, don't sweat it.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Cool tip for playing Trickster: you can unequip your dumb perfume censer and punch dudes so it feels like you're actually contributing!

Trying out the new vocation for the trip down to volcano isle sure was a dumb move, but I definitely trained up my 'throw enemies off ledges' and 'throw rocks and barrels at enemies' skills.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

f#a# posted:

gotta say, it takes a whole lot of something as a game dev to plop down portcrystals in two out of the three first towns you visit, only to have those be literally the only ones in the game

I don't understand why they didn't just put an official portcrystal in Bakbattahl and then maybe give you one fewer portable one, a player would have to be insane not to put one of their portcrystals in that city

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Crowetron posted:

It'll count as a successful rescue, don't sweat it.

Cool. Currently carrying his corpse with me through the marshes back to the nearest town to get my wakestones out of storage, that feels more earned than his corpse just showing up in the morgue magically.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

is DD2 RE:framework stuff stable and mods kosher to use without causing some sorta account / pawn flagging (dunno if that's a thing at all) issue?

if they are I'll probably finish up my playthrough and then mess with 'em in a NG+ world for funsies

f#a# posted:

bakbattahl not having a portcrystal while it DOES have a giant rift crystal despite the generalized hatred of pawns there? feels like it shoulda been graffiti'd up and covered in garbage you have to clear off to use it absolutely felt weird to me

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I know why it doesn't have a portcrystal: it's a very funny dunk on people speedrunning to Battahl from the getgo.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Volte posted:

Yeah, one of the most memorable moments of my first Dark Souls playthrough is when my only good weapon broke in Blightdown and I had no way to repair it on me, so I had to go all the way back up and out of Blighttown, through the Depths, and all the way back to Andre, with basically no weapon. It felt bad at the time, but I still remember overcoming it fondly like 11 years later. I had a similar thing in DD2 the other day when my pawn got taken by the brine when I was in the middle of nowhere, no ferrystones on me, he had my only camping supply, my max health was really low, and it became night. It was a rough trek back to the city but the feeling of finally setting foot back inside is something you just can't get without that kind of thing being able to happen.

I had a similar experience, but it was marred by the west gate to Vermouth or whatever randomly being overrun by saurians. I had like 10% health (seriously even ds2 had the foresight to limit the "loss gauge" to 50%, and wtf with it getting worse after you die and load?) and had to retry twice before running past them with my tail between my legs.

There are a lot of good things to be said for how mysterious and unique the game is, and how the admittedly artificial challenge can make for memorable experiences, but it has learned literally nothing from the series' prior weaknesses, nor the decade of generalized game development between entries.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Everdraed posted:

is DD2 RE:framework stuff stable and mods kosher to use without causing some sorta account / pawn flagging (dunno if that's a thing at all) issue?

In DD1 if you swapped saves, the worst that could happen was essentially a 24 hour ban on your pawn. There just isn't incentive for them to police what you are doing in a single player game unless it harms the servers or other players.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
10/10 pawn, no notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN0SYXN8nsk

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Well there's your problem, you didn't follow him. He knew the way.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Spoiled myself on the remaining portcrystals and one was located in an area I was in the process of exploring so maybe I didn't need to spoil myself (though given the nature of the area I coulda easily have missed it).

This is my current GOTY but like others have said it's rough around the edges and while it's the most fun I've had video gaming this year I definitely wouldn't give it a 9 or 10/10. I still don't want the game to end though but I'm running out of side quests and map to explore :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Everdraed posted:

what captured me forcibly and distinctively playing DD:DA (never played without the expansion) was pretty much

1. experiencing an adventuring group of helpful and entertaining pawns enabled by me and my friends' creativity
2. actively climbing all over giant goddamn monsters to savagely whale on their weakspots
3. exploring a world that has intriguing intricacies (especially in quests and npcs) that, whatever the actual implementations are, feel like they enable an impressive possibility space

I think DD2 nailed the poo poo outta those core concepts just like the first, and while I'd have any number of personal opinions and tweaks on its friction design and mechanical conveniences, none of it seemed so off-putting to me personally that it hampered the goodness of those core elements. pretty much I just want more content and diversity to engage with them even more, love dat core

I really, really hope they do something along the lines of DA, that they've gotten the resources to pursue that and won't be dissuaded from bothering by a maybe not-so-down-for-it generalized response, as much as I understand and get where that comes from and think there's a lotta validity in those feelings

ain't nuthin' quite like dragon's dogma, for better or for worse haha

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Dragon's Dogma is a deeply flawed game/series and while it has several similarities to other series out there, there's nothing quite like it. Monster Hunter lets you fight big monsters, I swear there are a few games that let you climb on big bosses outside of shadow of the colossus, and open world exploration games are the in thing now. But nothing does it all how Dragon's Dogma does it, and my biggest concern with DD2 during the big internet hype and early previews was the potential that it was just going to be pared down into a more generic AAA game to appeal to the huge audience that had glommed onto it. But it didn't, DD2 is very much a dragon's dogma title, warts and all, and I'd rather have that than a game that's more streamlined and well designed but cuts out the heart of the game I loved.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

40 hours and just got to the elven village. Still have some Brant quests left lol. Sure it has issues but this game is really clicking with me. Wandering around forests and discovering poo poo is really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

10/10 pawn, no notes.

https://twitter.com/temporoyales/status/1772325222131105890?s=20