Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

not seeing any information about how wolves hunt in the OP. does anyone happen to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

"denuvo makes poo poo run bad" is mostly a meme but hearing an RE Engine game isn't running great on current gen consoles is really weird, so I'm expecting my PC to explode trying to run it at this point. All the previous stuff I've played that they made in the new engine has been perfect on consoles so I wish they'd show more from like, a PS5 runthrough

my experience with RE engine games is that they use a gobsmacking amount of memory on PC to run smoothly. i had an old shitbox PC with an RX 480 and i was still able to run RE2/RE3 with very few hitches as long as i cranked my page file up to something insane like 30GB

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i wish team ninja would just loan out the ninja engine's character creator because it's got a truly excellent degree of customization, and you'd only need to uncap a few sliders to let people make horrific abominations too

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

"you can only kill X enemy with Y" is a tactically interesting obstacle in a game with total party control but mostly comes across as an irritating D&D throwback in a game where you're potentially relying on a robot to hit the right node in its behaviour tree for you to progress

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i played control at 800x600 on an rx 480 with the framerate dipping into the sub-30s on the regular. nothing in dradog 2 can hurt me

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Draven posted:

:stare:

Who hurt you?

i bought the 480 on sale like two months before crypto blew up and clung to it desperately waiting for GPU prices to drop, but i also wanted to play games that were made after the truman administration, and so compromises had to be made

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

This dude has not updated his hardware in twenty years and I respect that

i got a cheapass 3060 ti after bitcoin and eth ate poo poo a year and change ago so i'm ready to dog some drags at >30 FPS

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hope you upgraded your cpu too otherwise... :smith:

oh yeah, i got the full package on a big boxing day spree, i'd just been waiting for the point where the chip shortage was over and people were cashing out of crypto mining before i tried putting a new rig together

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPrO2ZHQ3mM

IGN performance review for those curious. consoles look hidebound to 30-ish FPS, whereas PC's able to push up to 50-60 and has both DLSS and FSR options

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kefa posted:

I just honestly don't see how the visuals are significantly better than Elden Ring or the Harry Potter game, or Horizon Zero Dawn.
I'd even say this game doesn't look much better than even the witcher 3.

I'm still excited for it but just sucks how we're essentially being forced into upgrading to a new console/new hardware again when no noticeable visual improvements have been made.

considering that the issue appears to be primarily CPU related, my guess would be that it's solely due to them cramming a ton of dynamism into the world with NPCs/physics/etc. that eats up a tremendous amount of cycles. might just be something the RE engine is bad at handling, but that's a question well outside my pay grade

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

Too many teeth

i may have told this story before but a friend of mine was on a student exchange program to the middle east in the middle of the summer in a lovely apartment, trying to play dwarf fortress on an old laptop in the blazing heat, and he ran into some alligator monster that one of his dwarves hit so hard that it knocked out like 9000 teeth and immediately fried his CPU on the spot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Play posted:

I fiddled with the settings for ages and couldn't manage to make a female character look... anything less than slightly off.

if you're just looking for, like, "generic KMMO babe", pick the rightmost option in the second row on page 1 of the base head selection, then the option directly above that, then any of the top row options after that. skin #3's a good generic option with a solid lip shape, and you can go to town customizing the head shape after

this is what i ended up on after a couple hours of messing around but you can get a lot of different looks out of the same base if you tweak the sliders around

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the correct definition of "soulslike" is "you have an estus flask and dodge roll" and anything else is just post hoc nonsense

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dradog 2 is a hydlidelike

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

I would like to know where the inspiration of Dragons Dogma came from. Though I would not be suprised if it is "Literally Itsuno's D&D sessions", much like most sword and sorcery fantasy stuff that comes out of japan :v:

it's visually and aesthetically D&D with the usual dash of berserk thrown in for good measure, though the gameplay's more of a bastard child of shadow of the colossus and monhun. dradog 1 was a very weird refrigerator soup of a game like that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Play posted:

In fact, I'd suggest that all games after a year or so should remove Denuvo. Who cares at that point.

i believe most of them do, since it's a subscription service and is generally only worth the cash for the opening few months where 90% of your sales are made

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cuntman.net posted:

if you are reading this thread then you must listen to this on loop until the game is done downloading or you will die irl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WeYkWUpccs

i love how even the title song is this bizarre mishmash of ideas that manage to clash in a way that's interesting rather than offputting

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

do you think my download will go faster or slower if i stare at it unblinkingly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

just fought my first cyclops and folks, they made a good loving game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Malaria posted:

Just saw the game getting murdered in Steam reviews. Yikes. I had zero problems on PS5.

steam reviewers are enormous children who will claim a game is unplayable if they ever dip below 60 FPS at all for any reason

i'm on the world's most midrange PC and the only point where the game's FPS becomes atrocious is in the middle of the city, but i'm willing to shrug it off because it's a non-combat area that i'm mostly just chugging through. it's otherwise at a perfectly stable 50-60 FPS, which is all i need for a game that's already got a fairly languid combat pace

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

It isn't a non combat area

it is for all the time i've been there and i presume any future combat scenarios are either A) not going to be frequent or B) not going to involve me and all 50+ NPCs fighting an army

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

2k eventually becomes chump change but the game very much wants you to camp as much as possible

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Roobanguy posted:

the game doesn't advertise them in game. on the main menu theres an option for "online store" but other than that you'll never see it. it doesn't even do the annoying things alot of other games with micro transactions do where it advertises current bundles on the main menu. it's the most ignorable thing in the world.

it also very explicitly is not a game built around inconveniencing the player to promote MTX, although it's perhaps easy to make that assumption if you never played the first and don't get that a significant part of its vibe is archaic design in the same style as modern draque

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

I wouldn't have bought the game if I knew about the microtransactions, but I did and haven't had a chance to play yet - how bad are the performance issues being reported?

i can't speak for every card and CPU out there, but my performance on a 3060 Ti/i5-12400F is rock solid on the overworld and minor settlements with no issues (barring, like, two or three times i had some weird slowdown in specific dungeon corners), but i crater to about 15-20 FPS in the main city, which is irritating but not a dealbreaker since i'm only running around and talking to merchants in it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Now that said I'm regretting spending my preorder rift crystals on getting Diogenes instead of buying some spectacles for my pawn in the guild later (Diogenes is great btw he hates pigs for some reason?)

he's mad because they keep sleeping in his big clay jar and making a mess

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm assuming people either saw the prerelease stuff or got told by a youtuber that the game kinda expects you to be lugging someone with anodyne around 24/7, so people are generally either making mage pawns for that or fighter pawns to carry camping gear and a million herbs and rocks

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

regarding the slowdown in vernworth, i'm reasonably certain after playing for a while that it's because they're using one of the most bonkers physics sims i've seen in a game. as far as i can tell from overall gameplay, the game is attempting to simulate personal gravity via kinematics, so the position of your legs and where you're being hit from can cause you to topple over, even if it's as something as simple as standing on some jagged rocks while a bog standard goblin hucks a rock at you. the lag's not merely something as simple as the NPCs doing their usual pathfinding routine around the environment, it's them doing their pathfinding routine and also repeatedly checking if they're about to take a tumble or not

i made a joke about this being a hydlidelike before but this truly is the promise of the realistic physics of time and weight being realized

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Insanite posted:

20 minutes into this and I’m cackling at the number of times I’ve heard “aught” and “ought.”

GOTY

wait until you see the animation for dashing up a ladder

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheMostFrench posted:

Yay just had my pawn catch me from a fatal drop for the first time. It was kind of funny because I rotated in mid air so that I would be falling at the correct angle for the animation.

it really adds to the dradog experience that they're smart enough to catch you from fatal falls and levitate up the side of otherwise impassable cliffs to solve puzzles but there's a, say, 35% chance that they will immediately choose the brine the moment you get within five feet of a shoreline

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing you can kill stuff like that faster once you get higher level and better gear? The fight wouldn't have been bad at all if it had only lasted half as long. The only time I could even see his HP bar moving is when he was downed and I was using the "machine gun arrow" skill into his face. Machine gun arrow skill owns.

yeah, it's usually a combination of your gear + levels that determines how much damage you're going to be able to do to large monsters. some vocations like thief get attacks like helm splitter that massively ups their DPS against them, but you're otherwise better off trying to target specific weakpoints or ground them by e.g. using explosive arrows against their wings midair

Play posted:

How do I get the Dullahan quest? I just happened to talk to the guy's wife but no quest appeared and now I'm worried that some invisible timer has started

there's a guy by a fountain near the entrance to the noble district that mentions where he's gone, which should start the quest properly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh man, they brought it back from DD1

i loving love this game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barreft posted:

It must be a defensive reaction because the last two days I've read, "I leveled up from 1 to 8 outside a town, goty", "I can throw things goty", "an item from the last game is in this one, love the game".

It reads like Star Citizen fans at times who haven't played a game in a decade. I never played the first game, what does this provide that's new? People have gotten so caught up in the DLC debate, I just wanna know why the game is good.

to strip it to the studs: it's a pretty good third person action RPG with a vast and hostile world that, especially in DD2, you really have to trek your way through to get anywhere or do anything. i think it comes the closest to capturing the essence of playing D&D better than title i've played, since the aggregate of its systems - camping bonuses, the loss gauge, limited strongbox access, dynamic day/night, extremely limited fast travel - creates that sense of you going on a proper adventure without any guardrails to catch you if you stumble. it captures everything they were (inconsistently) aiming for in DD1 and sharpens it to a fine edge, so the high level of friction the game provides is sensibly thought out and not simply there to be an irritating throwback

i think people tend to go for relatively easy throwaway lines like those because it is very hard to encapsulate what makes it enjoyable in a couple of sentences. i think the closest metaphor i can think of that most people will understand is your very first trip down to blighttown in dark souls where you're a thousand feet underground with what seems like an impossible climb back up and you gotta figure your own way out of it, but that feeling is enlarged to be an entire game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Google Butt posted:

What's the deal with gear? Are vendor prices a scam or the primary way to upgrade?

it's less "scam" and more that you're paying a premium for getting an item immediately versus finding it in the wild somewhere. not every item is in a chest, though a lot of them are, but knowing where they are is another matter entirely

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have a bunch of vocations at max or near max and I think Thief's Headsplitter/Skullsplitter is the highest raw damage per second attack I've seen. By the time you get Desert-level weapons it vastly outpaces even high-end Sorcerer spells - in fact, it makes every other damage-dealing attack in Thief feel wimpy by comparison. This is probably less true at lower levels since its power comes from hitting a ton of times very quickly, so against enemies with high defense relative to your attack it will be worse and may deal less damage than a single big attack.

Mystic Archer seems like it may be close in raw DPS when I get max rank - especially the Ice attack that shoots homing arrows that repeatedly pirece their targets and just keep hitting for a while, and the stone/physical spell that can hit one target like 12 times. Sorcerer is definitely outclassed by the time you hit the desert, and Mystic Spear doesn't seem very damage-heavy at this point either.

Warrior is very very strong early on but it it has kind of fallen off as my Attack eclipsed enemy Defense because of how slow its hits are - as a thief I can Skullsplitter 50% of one health bar off a minotaur 1-2 entire times in the time it takes to wind up an attack as a Warrior which won't do as much damage as a single Skullsplitter.

sorc's broadly powerful in terms of tackling groups and has a handful of spells like high maelstrom that chew through large monsters, although thief's still probably the best player vocation numerically. i don't think anything in the game can outpace the raw DPS of skullsplitter, and you can stagger most large monsters instantly if you hit a vital with carve

i know warrior's whole fantasy is the "slowly charge monstrous attack" thing but i think it's genuinely too slow in DD2, and the risk-reward of standing stock still while you charge a swing just isn't there when thief can outdamage you with a single cartwheel

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the ragdoll physics are loving hilarious because you become a true physics object while in a knockup state, so i had one fight against a chimera where i got tossed and then its tail swiped into me and juggled my frozen body midair for a few seconds

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the pawn system is great because of the wild variance in experiences it creates. sometimes you run into a pawn you hired 20 levels previously out in the wild and get to bring them back on, and sometimes you touch a ruined riftstone and a horrible 8ft tall goblin woman pops out telling you of her skill with curatives

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Play posted:

What can I use the beastren mask for? Bought it because it seemed interesting but I gave no clue if it does anything

you can supposedly use it to bypass the checkpoint without having to present papers, although it didn't work for me when i tried, so you might have to be on a specific quest to get it to work

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rascar posted:

It looks like all the pawns I encounter only have their moniker showing but not their real name. Does anyone know how I can turn that off and have it show the actual name of the pawns? I looked around the options menu, but couldn't find anything.

it's the parental controls option, a pawn's moniker is basically the "please don't let my kid see someone named Arse Eater out in the wild" alternative

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the experience of DD2 is very much in the pressures exerted by the various systems working against you: you have to decide how willing you are to spend time traveling to an area versus how much you're willing to pay for the convenience of using fast travel, how much you need to go back to town to deposit materials versus toughing it out so that you don't lose travel progress, where you decide to place your portcrystals, the risk-reward of fighting large monsters and potentially getting deep into the loss gauge, etc. i think it seems dull as a detached observer because you're not feeling those pressures directly, and that invisible calculus doesn't come across well in the kinds of clips people tend to post on youtube (e.g: "check out this cool monster fight" or "my pawns all decided to suicide into the brine at once")

this isn't a guarantee you will actually find it fun, mind you. to be absolutely clear: DD2 is a very specific kind of taste where the friction of traversal and exploration is what you're paying the $70 for. if you just want a third person action RPG where you fight big guys in a fantasy setting, you're better off buying the elden ring DLC or the new monhun when it comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

illusionist feels like a pet project that started from someone having a cool idea for a vocation without giving much thought to how it'd interface with the other vocations, because "use magic to distract and debilitate foes" is a great napkin pitch until you remember that high hagol exists and does the exact same thing but better