Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Pawns are pretty annoying with their chatter. Anyway to only shout important things?

for better or worse, a significant part of the Meme Factor of DD1 was the pawns incessantly spewing nonsense and they felt obligated to keep the spirit of it intact in DD2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

explosivo posted:

I ran into the Thief maister guy completely on accident, boy that ability seems.. not great!

it's very funny that thief has some of the game's hands down best base skills (notably ensnare and helm splitter) and inarguably its worst loving maister skills. the autododge is kind of thematically appropriate, i guess, but in what loving universe is "i rub my knives together so hard they explode and also damage me" A) useful and B) something a thief would do

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm wondering if I'll ever reach a point where I'm not hard up for money. So far I've only sold valuables based on where the item description implies they're rare/valuable (onyx in Vermund, tiger eyes in the Elven territory, etc.). I haven't been to the beastren territory yet so I'm saving up all that jasper until then. Still it feels like as soon as I get even about 100k gold it's gone in a blink after getting my pawn better gear and weapons.

the "easiest" way of getting gold is to repeatedly camp by the river in western vermund by the destroyed bridge to respawn the drakes to the south and to the north and kill them over and over. wyrmslife crystals sell for 1.5k per and you get about 10-15ish per drake kill, so you can easily fill your pockets if you're able to kill drakes efficiently

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it has been very funny seeing content creators tripping over their own dicks to get content out to not lose pace with The Discourse and then having to issue retractions because their sole source was clueless redditors instead of, like, literally anyone who'd played dragon's dogma 2 for more than five hours

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Every time I try to fight a griffin the fuckers let me whittle them down a phase or two and then fly away.

if you manage to ignite them midair, it'll cripple their wings and ground them, so bring along a sorc pawn with fire magic or an archer with blast arrows and you'll be good to go

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're supposed to hunt them down after they fly away and eventually kill them that way. I think that was how it worked in the first game as well.

Problem is finding out where they went. Forager isn't too useful for this, one time I was directed to a place that supposedly had 'Great Griffin Claw', but when I got there there was no griffin in sight

Anyone have ideas on how to track them?

they'll fly off to their nests when injured, so you'll either have to watch their flight path when you scare them off and intuit where a reasonable spot for a nest would be, or you need to grab onto them when it looks like they're about to take off and chug roborants to not fall off while they return to their lair

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Guess I'll be broke for awhile because drakes have kicked my rear end on the rare occasions I've tried to fight them. I'm like level 32 or so now, maybe it'll go better next time. I should probably sell off some monster materials (at least ones I have a lot of) but my hoarder brain makes me obssess over whether or not I'll need them for upgrades later on.

get thief up in vocation rank enough to get yourself skull splitter and draw & quarter, then get two sorc pawns with maelstrom and you can pretty easily dust 'em. do a draw & quarter opener on their head, then try to position under their belly to hit skull splitter on their heart as much as possible. if they get knocked over, grapple and draw & quarter the heart for insane damage. just dodge around once they start summoning meteors in phase 3 and then return to skull splitter spam on their heart until dead

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Eh, that's not really fair in my opinion. Elden Ring is great, but it has tons and tons of repeating dungeons and content. You're just redoing many of the same bosses over and over again if you go off the beaten path away from where the main story wants you.

the key difference is that DD2's mechanics are all working together to make the experience of traversal and exploration genuinely challenging and interactive, whereas ER is DS3 with a very large open world stapled on, so they gave you a magic horse that can double jump and ignore 95% of enemies so that traversal is about figuring out which small crevasse the mini-dungeons are tucked into and little else

the comparison's not really fair because both games ultimately have different design goals: DD2's open world and the friction of exploring it is the experience, so dungeons are all very straightforward hallways and combat arenas with little variation, whereas ER's open world is a framing device for the much more well constructed and considered legacy dungeons that fromsoft otherwise excels at

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there probably should've been another tier of rare encounters that can replace light/medium encounters with unique gimmicks ala diablo with randomized affixes. i don't think level scaling's the answer given the frequency of combat, but peppering in occasional difficulty spikes to previously travelled routes would help to cut up the otherwise predictable slate of encounters

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the biggest plus in DD2's favor as an open world experience is that it engenders a real sense of "am i going too far into the wilderness" that very few other games manage to hit

my hands down favorite experience with the game is that i decided i wanted to go to battahl before the main quest eventually sends you there, and i'd missed most of the other ways to get into it, so i poked my nose around and found a tunnel that started leading me south, followed by an insane gauntlet of large monsters, followed by an incredibly steep descent into a valley, followed by me desperately trying to figure out where the gently caress the capital city was and praying that i could either find a riftstone or stumble onto a portcrystal. that whole experience - the tension and the experience of feeling hopelessly lost and potentially out my depth - is something you can only get when you really turn the thumbscrews on mechanics like fast travel and make the world genuinely treacherous to explore

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Solo run is going...interesting. I think weight is going to be a REAL problem and I don't have any solutions to deal with it yet, other than to travel extremely light and play carefully. Probably should have picked something that doesn't have as heavy equipment but fighter is the best class and thus I will play it

magick archer feels like the best choice for when you can get it, since you have a combination of a rock solid skill set and can benefit from elven enhancements to cut down on weight on further

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I think I made a mistake starting with Thief because every other vocation feels slow and undertuned by comparison. Darth Maul feels alright and Warrior has a fun Monster Hunter Greatsword vibe, but why go to all that trouble when I could just helm splitter/face stab all day?

skullsplitter and draw & quarter are comically overtuned, yeah. skullsplitter's vertical reach means that you can hit the vitals of everything except a cyclops while grounded, and draw & quarter does a ludicrous amount of vital damage, generally enough to instantly stagger anything except drakes. your AoE damage sucks, sure, but that doesn't matter in a game where you can just hire 3 guys who are good at that anyways

i think the only real competition in terms of raw throughput is sorc with maelstrom, but thief's got the big advantage of being fast paced and fun to play in general versus sitting still waiting for an animation to finish all the time on sorc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it still beggars belief that people are being caught off guard by a mechanic that the game literally stops you dead in your tracks to tell you how to avoid

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the endless goblin/harpy/dog packs are there to provide life to the world to emphasize its hostility and to add to the loss gauge if you don't handle them efficiently. they're kind of a necessary precondition in an open world that prioritizes traversal like this: if you don't have them, then the world seems barren and the run to a specific PoI is just holding forwards with nothing to break it up, but if they're too difficult, then it makes the journey too tedious since you have to really pull out the big guns every few minutes

what they probably should have done is add more midweight encounters that can randomly take the place of standard spawns, so that you occasionally have an increased hit of friction without creating encounter fatigue. i actually wonder if this was part of the initial plan, since battahl has the alpha wolves that have miniboss sized healthbars without the accompanying HUD element, and they either chose not to go with it or didn't have the budget to implement it for every monster clade

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

D.Fuzzbot posted:

A lot of the praise sounds so weird when it boils down to "they don't have easy fast travel!" or "there's no additional saves!"

dark souls birthed an entire subgenre off the back of the conceit of "what if you couldn't quicksave/quickload every 5 seconds and had to take your health seriously", it's not that weird

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

johnny park posted:

I'm not the one that brought up the ludonarrative aspect of the encounter design, lol

it's not ludonarrative, it's experiential: the world feels alive because there are monsters everywhere and not vast swathes of empty space, and it feels hostile because there are monsters that will attack you

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zodack posted:

I have requested a forgery of an Elite Camping Kit be made and it appears to have simply duplicated the item. Talk about convincing

it really should just be, like, a cardboard cutout of a tent if you try to camp with it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

Sterling absolutely loving hates MTX and does not consider there to be any legitimate reasons to have them or excuses that exculpate them, like, ever. I could 100% believe she has played the poo poo out of the game and it has not changed what she says about this aspect of it one bit. Not saying she has mind you, just that I'm quite confident in saying that playing the game wouldn't change her stance on how they're implemented or that they're there at all.

she strongly disliked death stranding for being a game about navigating hostile terrain so i think this is more just a "i don't like the friction" situation

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

There's a much better mod now for adjusting the difficulty.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/195?tab=description

I still wonder what the "dynamic difficulty" they talked about supposed to be.

it's presumably something similar to other RE engine games where there's a hidden value that tracks roughly how well you're doing in combat (like damage taken, number of times your pawns get knocked out, etc.) and it adjusts enemy damage taken/dealt modifiers as a consequence. it might just be that the combat balance is borked enough with poo poo like sorcs/thieves/arcane archers that the modest adjustments aren't enough to make much of a dent

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

After I get to the big desert city, will I be able to beeline to the Warfarer trainer right away?

you've still got a long trek to get to him, unfortunately, but there's nothing preventing you from getting there

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

From any objective distance this game is jank city, and like a lot of jank games its ambitions and semi-accidental system interactions make it feel novel even with its many rough edges. But it’s kind of weird to see ppl coming around on this specific game as a deliberate, holistic work without the reservations you’d see with like, Kenshi or Arcanum (which this game REALLY reminds me of)

a lot of this is because DD2's combat is passable-to-good depending on how much you value visual clarity and overall challenge, whereas arcanum's combat is an active hindrance to enjoying it if you don't excise it entirely

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i mean we have dragons dogma 1 to work with to see designer intent and everything in 2 was in that game just a bit more sloppy

yeah, like, DD2 is a very clear distillation and refinement of what the DD1 team was going for with the benefit of hindsight and a larger budget

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sloober posted:

imo the castle sneak thing is funniest because the guard that guides you there the first time drops you at the worst entrance for it, if you go behind the castle there's a turret staircase that never seems to have guards in it and you dont have to walk through the greathall. honestly the castle security is really lovely. embarassing-rear end royal guardsmen

the reason she drops you there is because there's a full guardsman's set in a chest right behind the door, and they were hoping you'd intuit you could put on the full guard set and then walk around with impunity

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

There's a random guy who's supposed to run up to you after that conversation to tell you that the stalking noble is totally evil, and then you go back to the wife and she gives you the quest. I don't know why they made it this convoluted

i love that dude because you can go back to him after all's said and done and he will just off the cuff start telling you about how beastren are doing a Great Replacement in vermund like it's the most normal poo poo in the world

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I do agree with fextralife on magic archers being better than thieves. Similar damage output per skill but you can just stand back launching tons of skills without worrying about positioning or being in melee range. How the hell did they put Mage at #1 though lmao

thieves are superior right up until you unlock downpour, at which point you can knock off half a boss's healthbar with one volley on a vital and are only gated by how many stamina consumables you're willing to chug

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reive posted:

Jeez I feel fairly confident in most battles now but I've yet to bring a drake down even one life bar, when did you guys take one out?

head and heart are primary vitals, so aim all your poo poo at them when they're exposed. whenever it starts casting a spell, just start running around to avoid the telegraphs and then go back to attacking. sorc pawns with maelstrom are especially good at dealing with them if you aren't thief/magick archer

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RubberLuffy posted:

You can equip up to 9 weapons, and in the equipment menu you can see numbers associated with them. When you use Rearmament, it cycles through them in that order.

You can only equip 4 skills and Rearmament takes 1, so you're pretty limited. I see it not as a "do everything" vocation but like you're thinking, fusing like 2 vocations together. Any weapon you switch to also gets the benefit of having the Core Skills you've unlocked from its Vocation.

Also playing as Warfarer ranks up all your vocations, albeit at a slower rate. I've been playing Warfarer for a while, and my untouched Mage and Sorc vocations both hit rank 2 at the same time, but not nearly as fast as if I was playing as them.

yeah, warfarer's more of a convenience vocation than something like, say, freelancer in FFIV: you take it so that you can wear whatever the gently caress you want and have access to another mode of engaging with combat. i personally went with fighter + magick archer for perfect blocks and vital heavy attacks along with potent ranged poo poo, but i imagine thief + archer would work well for people who want that oldschool strider mixup

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dradog 4 is 100% finished but we end up finding out we liked it better when we could spitball our own imaginary concepts of perfection into the gaping hole and end up hating it as a result

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Yeah he's just gone, resting won't bring him back and he hasn't been murdered by rogue pawns or something. This is a good reminder after 20 hours of play that video games are a time investment and if they don't respct you, you don't have to respect them by finishing them or talking about any of their positive qualities. Don't buy this game, regardless of if it's fun to play it doesn't matter because it's not even finished

any non-monster NPC in the game can be revived by going to the morgue in vernworth (the building labeled with a coffin), paying a small fee to the guy at the front desk to locate an NPC by name, and then using a wakestone on the body once you've found the appropriate casket

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i can't find a single mention of an innkeeper disappearance glitch anywhere on reddit or the steam forums, so condolences on your incredibly rare one in a million bug

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think DD2 largely manages to succeed with its vision, but it falls victim to the issue so many open world RPGs have, which is planning out a huge map that you can't budget appropriately for. you really needed more clades of monsters and more compelling open world dungeons like the big shrine in battahl to help break up the flow, but as it stands, you've kinda seen every trick the game has to deploy by the time you're halfway through it. the vocation system and gear being nothing but a straight vertical ladder doesn't help matters much either

i'm in the same boat as toasterwarrior where i'd put the game in 7/10 territory, but i strongly admire their dedication to what they wanted to do and am impressed with how they took everything that made DD1 compelling and doubled down on it to produce something that feels wholly unique. i'm still interested in seeing DLC with how good bitterblack isle was, but it's still a bit disappointing that they almost nailed the landing but couldn't restrain their ambition enough to make something that was gripping the whole way through

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

What exactly was the vision for DD2?

creating a world that feels vast and hostile to navigate with a suite of systems dedicated to making you feel the friction of traveling. or, to put it another way: they wanted to create something that genuinely captured the D&D Feel of adventure

i think they absolutely nailed that part with how every element of the game works towards the common goal, but even great gameplay engines need constant fuel to keep them running, and the dogs in battahl being red instead of gray ain't it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Idunno, feels like you could accomplish that for most adventure games by just cranking enemy density up to 11

elden ring's open world is packed to the gills with monsters, but having a magic doublejumping horse and instant bonfire travel creates a categorically different experience compared to a game where you have to ration out your portacrystals and otherwise slum it down the country roads to get where you need to go

i made the comparison before in this thread, but it's the difference between going down into blighttown for the first time in DS1 versus going down to the gutter in DS2: you're deep underground in the dark and fetid underworld in both cases, but the fact that you can just instantly hop away back into sunlight in DS2 if it gets too tough creates a very different feeling than the friction DS1 pre-lordvessel provides

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

imo the most hosed up thing about this game so far is that something like 95% of the "dungeons" that you find are just caves with maybe ten to five guys in them and a chest with five explosive arrows and 2000 gold in it. i don't know why they went with this direction. i feel like making half that number that were twice as long would have been a lot more enjoyable

finding lil dungeons out in the wild is a part of the D&D Experience, but they have a unique problem wherein large, explorable dungeons with multiple tiers and all that jazz are extraordinarily difficult to implement due to the fact that your party consists of three robots who will randomly wile e. coyote themselves off cliffs or start running in circles the moment the terrain becomes more complex than gently sloping hills

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

buying MTX for dragon's dogma 2 actively diminishes the whole thrust of the game. it very much comes across as something that capcom corporate finance demanded be put in ad hoc rather than something that was designed around from day 1

it's a very stupid inclusion but not for the reason The Discourse has been determined to push

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Not a joke! It's very dumb but it's dumb in a funny way.

it's also an answer that's extremely easy to miss, since the riftstone in the fishing village to the west of the capital city that has the game's only other static portcrystal is the only one tuned to draw in pawns with SphinxParent/SphinxMother/SphinxFather as their name/moniker, so you're going to be scratching your head forever if you didn't happen to hit it up

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NG+ doesn't appreciably change things from all accounts, so you're genuinely better off starting over rather than playing NG+ unless you really want to just absolutely dumpster everything

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know who on the dev team thought it was a good idea to make a skill that makes your whole team invincible for ever.

i think the spectacle of combat was a bigger priority than its functionality as a means of challenging the player, likely due to how much of a mess pawns make combat. flagration and frigor, two of the most basic spells in the entire game, already completely destroy visual clarity, and the game only checks for death after your body is grounded, so you can survive everything in the game that isn't a straight faceplant off a cliff by slamming the potion button the moment you notice your whole health bar is gray

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

as with as lot of RPGs, the issue with combat mostly comes down to a lack of rate limiting: if you or a pawn can fart out a high hagol at the start of every fight with no restrictions, then almost nothing in the game can challenge you appropriately, and you have little incentive to do anything other than draque-esque "use your strongest moves as much as possible" tactics

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if your pawn isn't appearing in the shop UI, it's because they're too far away. exit out and let them get next to you and then you'll be able to sell directly from their inventories

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lets hang out posted:

i've never noticed a logistician redistributing inventory, i still have to do it myself all the time. i do see them slamming a bunch of potions together and leaving tens of them in MY inventory though

they do redistribute poo poo from time to time, but it only appears to be materials, presumably to avoid sticking weapons/consumables/valuables in a place people can't find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Double Bill posted:

Maybe I've been spoiled by Elden Ring, but at least the minor dungeons in that game have some variety and end in a boss fight, so you feel like you've accomplished something clearing them. I just stopped exploring caves in this after a while, because they rarely contained anything interesting.

i rarely ever say this, but this is a game that could really benefit from a loot randomizer baseline