Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah, the super busted performance and the MTX poo poo are all the more disappointing because everything else seems neat. It seems like a good game, somewhere in there! But I don't think I'll be sinking much time into this until they make some improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Just got Mystic Spearhand and liking it a lot - the starting dash skill seemed so-so until I realized it’ll launch you upward to hit flying enemies and stuff. I don’t know if I’ll stick with the vocation long term though, because its fancy moves lack the satisfaction of like, parrying a cyclops with your Warrior attacks.

I’m woefully far behind on the main quest because I keep getting distracted by exploration. There’s just so much to see and do! Even the oxcart travel is an adventure. Took a trip towards the checkpoint town for my first time, and we got ambushed halfway by an ogre that took out the cart. Had to continue on foot, but we had all the cart guards with us, so the stuff we met on the way died pretty quick.

Also, griffons! God drat. Ended up riding one while it fled from a fight, and set it on fire to make it land so we could finish it off. Except it crashed into the sea, killing us both in the brine.

Game owns. Owns hard enough that the framerate hitches haven’t been able to deter me.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Oh my god I just realized the number of things you could gently caress with using the (spoiler for the border checkpoint town) forgery system!! Like no, I will not give you back that thing you lent me .

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Sure hope they’re fine to sell because I’ve been throwing those at the shop every time I’m in town!

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah, according to a tutorial pop up i got (presumably because a body had been taken there) there’s a morgue where you can go find dead npcs and rez em

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah I’m p sure it’s an either-or, not both. The one who eats the bug gets the benefit.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

If Darth Maul had a dodge I would have a much harder time playing anything else - I do find myself missing the thief’s dodge. But the fact you can charge up the stun zap while you do other moves is a nice concession. I’ve been charging it up and then using the dash attack to close, and then releasing the charged stun right after. Not real impressed with the floating blades spell - they seem real weak and it’s hard to justify a skill slot for em.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Do I need to worry about wrapping much up before doing the Coronation quest? Kinda eager to proceed with the MSQ since I'm outgrowing my surroundings, but also, having seen people mention the story kinda ending abruptly, it's hard to gauge where I'm at or what i'm about to commit to.

Definitely feeling the comments re: difficulty, I'm starting to mop the floor with enemies a bit too easily.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I gave him flowers immediately

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Hell yeah I unlocked Trickster, time to be fukken annoying

I like that Battahl feels very different from Vermund, lots more open spaces and fun scrambly rock formations.

Also have found that switching my pawn off of healer-Mage and onto something else with the Chirurgeon speciality has helped the combat feel less like a cake walk, since we can still heal but it puts a bigger emphasis on avoiding damage and keeping stocked on curatives.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

HUGE shoutout to the True Warfarer mod which works really smoothly and makes Warfarer infinitely more fun. Strong recommend. Easy as heck to install, too.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah, I think the way to do a good faux-NG+ in this is gonna be the reduced XP mod, Warfarer unlocked from start, and True Warfarer + some other QoL. Outlevelling the world is a big bummer because there's so much of it to see, and it becomes trivial pretty quickly if you're not careful. Like I just decided to check out some kick-rear end areas I hadn't done before, since I'm approaching the end of the story, but everything I found just got absolutely wrecked by my crew.

The suggestion someone had earlier in the thread for a mod that reduces "minion" XP and makes big monsters your main source seems like a really good idea.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 31, 2024

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Okay, so the quest Off the pilfered path: I think I softlocked the quest or something

This quest also broke on me. I kinda just let it go, I figure if that’s how they wanna be then it ain’t my job to change their minds!

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Chirurgeon is handy for when you don't wanna dole out curatives to all the pawns. Just give the chirurgeon a bunch and then when you get hit with like, AoE poison, he just gives everyone their medicine and they're fine.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Trying to decide whether to hit the places/content I still haven’t done, or wrap up the game and save them for my next play through. I’ve already done a ton and I’m level 50 on the final story quest, but there’s several map sections I haven’t seen and a few notable encounters that I know I passed over (sphinx and dullahan).

Mods have definitely given the game more longevity for me (esp the difficulty tweaks, stuff was getting tooo easy). Question is now how to spend it.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Ooh, thank you. I’ll go seek it out then. I missed the initial quest to send you there, and then later got an ambient line about how it had Happened so I kinda forgot about it but you’ve sold me.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

You shouldn’t have to run all the way to an inn, you can camp out to restore lost HP and also to cook delicious meat for buffs. Campsites are spread pretty liberally - look for the smoke coming from their campfires (which are conveniently always lit)

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah DD1 is still really good, and the DA/BBI stuff is excellent - which makes it a bummer they didn’t do it for DD2 from the get go. In that sense you might actually find things you like about it more than DD2. The jank is part of the charm and DD1 was more… idk, naive I guess you’d say?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Spear hand is fun as hell and I’m at the point where the game is easy enough that I’ll trade efficacy for fun. The shield rules, force throw rules, and the stun blast is really handy. But I’m also using Warfarer to mix it with Magick Archer so that’s helping pad out some of its weak points.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Spearhand’s other big trick for large monsters is that the dragoon leap will just put you on top of them. You can do this while you’re directly underneath them, so it’s great for big fuckers (like drakes) who will try and be on top of you all the drat time.

E: and yeah comparing anything to Thief is gonna make it feel anemic bc Thief does bonkers damage. I stopped taking helmsplitter because it was turning fights into very short blendathons.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 5, 2024

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Leaving the trickster augment on while I revisit to mop up old areas has got me to like… 90-something tokens. I don’t even really want em I just want to make the dinging stop.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Wait y’all have blueberries?! But no raspberries?!? Animal crossing poo poo. I love this game.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Perhaps they too can hear the augment dinging.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

What are you taking for Sorc spells? I’ve been leveling Sorc so I can mix it into a warfarer setup but the spells keep leaving me kinda eh. Magick Archer feels better to me but I reckon I’m missing some special sauce for Sorc.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Okay I’ll keep leveling it for Flare then. Cuz yeah the others have left me a little nonplussed. They’re all neat in some way but they don’t hit as reliably as I’d like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I’m thinking sorc+trickster might be an amusing warfarer setup. Walls and phantoms would help keep them off you and then you switch to sorc and start blasting. Not sure whether the duration on the various abilities would work for it. Much to consider.