Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Going with a Golden Axe theme.

Chronos from Golden Axe 3 as my Arisen to celebrate the Beastren being available.

And Gilius Thunderhead as my Pawn because he's the loving best,

Also you should use this image in the op because it's amazing.

https://twitter.com/DragonsDogma/status/1741640475705033071

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Thingy is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy_rEa1QpL8

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Looking at the Human / Beastren split they were presenting in the video, I have something to say.

As a general rule you should always sell out humanity when you have the chance. The other guys are almost always universally cooler.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Recreated my Dark Souls 1 and 3 character, Penitentes as a Pawn.

Do not fear child, I am a man of God.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
On the flip side, WoolieVs is getting a pawn. Good for him. Good for him.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

What controller should i pick up that is button name compatible? I have a switch pro controller that i like well enough but the x y a b not matching drives me nuts

The character creator actually has a setting for choosing your preferred button prompts, including the Nintendo layout. I am assuming that will carry over to the game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Big Bidness posted:

Alright, Dragon of Dojima is ready for Dragon's Dogma. Now I have to spend 5 days making a Pawn, I guess.

Absolutely not. Spend some time with the tattoos and come back. Make sure to play around with the tiling system.

:edit: Actually maybe you already did. I forgot that Kiryu's tattoos don't show at all from the front.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 16, 2024

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

What was it?

https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Seneschal

Check the New Game + section.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
4 skills and a dedicated class button. For instance, the Warrior gets the Monster Hunter Greatsword hyper armor shoulderbash to let you avoid getting knocked out of charge moves as a default part of it's kit.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

No Dignity posted:

I imagine there's less distinct voices this time because pawns are going to have like five times the dialogue too

There's actually more distinct voices.

DD had 2 male and 2 female voices with pitch shifted up and down version. DDDA added 3 even more extreme pitched versions. That's 4 base voices and 20 pitch variants. The Arisen used the same voices, but that was limited to the grunts and such.

DD2 seems to have a male and female version for each of the 4 pawn personalities and 2 up and 2 down shifted. That's 8 base voices and 32 pitch variants. In addition there seem to be 2 male and 2 female Arisen voices with associated pitched versions, but it's unknown if they're anything more than grunts or if they're unique voices.

As far as I can see, the only real danger comes if one of the pawn personalities is so mechanically superior that everyone ends up using it exclusively. That seems unlikely though.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 18, 2024

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Even maximizing attack growth by levelling 1-10 Fighter 11-200 Assassin only ever made a single digit percentage difference in damage output. The actual difference was never very significant, the fact that it existed just made it an outsized focus of the extreme min/max folks. Most people don't actually play that way, which made the whole "optimizing stat growth while levelling" thing kind of an apocryphal white whale when talking about the game online.

Yes and No. Because of the (bad imo) way that the armor system worked, it could be anything from that single digit to a hundred fold difference.

Like this video ostensibly sets out to show that stats are meaningless, but shows that even with the best weapons in the game reducing the effect as much as possible, a max strength build will do twice as much physical damage compared to a min strength one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIKi0uWGgMo

It's still not required to beat the game and definitely not what I would recommend for a first playthrough, but it's not nothing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's almost certainly because these are scans of real people they used as bases. Do you think they would really bother changing nipple size and position if it wasn't baked in?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Go to a male character, zoom out and start changing the skin.

:edit:

I just noticed Quixel Megascans is one of the credits during the startup.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 20, 2024

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think Itsuno said he had to explain what Oblivion was to other people at Capcom repeatedly when he was pitching the game. Therefor it's an Elder Scrolls clone.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I would like to know where the inspiration of Dragons Dogma came from. Though I would not be suprised if it is "Literally Itsuno's D&D sessions", much like most sword and sorcery fantasy stuff that comes out of japan :v:

Itsuno worked on D&D Arcade, and wanted to do an Action RPG after that. Out of the initial planning sessions, Monster Hunter and then Dragon's Dogma are born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so27-39aL2w

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

Wait how do you make a hairless cat person?

Also still waiting on my gmg code :(

See how the shoulders are slightly different? That means the "flesh" color is a giant tattoo enlarged to cover the fur, looks like with the shine turned up to make it more skin like.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey, you know how heavy attacks have special animations for downed foes?

The Archer just stomps the living poo poo out of things. Rib cracking kicks and jumping stomps right where it hurts. (everywhere)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok, so this is my understanding of the lore and ending for DD2.

So the Pathfinder is a god, but maybe not GOD, who is in charge of our world. He has enough power to make and unmake it. He grows dissatisfied with repeatedly watching our world succumb to chaos and decides to try and make things more sustainable. He forms the chaos into a dragon (referred to as a being of pure destruction) and sends it out with the intention that a hero will rise, kill the dragon, become king and have a storybook ending until he needs to lower the chaos levels again.

The thing is, that the Chaos that devours the world is part of him. He is explicitly in control of the order/chaos creation/destruction harmony/oblivion duality. The only reason the world keeps being devoured is because he insists on squatting on it to watch it like a daytime soap. He tries to keep it out of the way in the ocean, but The Brine is the entropic half of him.

So the cycle is his attempt to have his cake and eat it too. But the system requires that everyone act out their roles and it is starting to break down. People like Roithas and Phaesus are noticing what's up and trying wage war on heaven. The Mad Hermit made it all the way to the Unmoored World before he failed. The Dragon is tired of jobbing and drops hints that he'd like it to stop and even protects you from The Brine as he's dying. He's having to intervene more and more.

When he decides this world is a bust, he let's his stank loose from the ocean and sends out his Purgenators to start wiping the slate clean. When you beat them, he gets all huffy and decides to invest all his power in a big rear end Dragon avatar and do it himself. The pawns are part of him meant to assist The Arisen in keeping the cycle going, so they return to him in the form of goop dragons. Only your Main Pawn has gotten enough second hand will to rebel and help kill him.

Now that god is dead, the world no longer has a guiding hand, but also no longer has god's destructive half threatening to consume the world. The last shot is the Mad Hermit setting out on a Brine free sea.

I think a lot of the confusion is people trying to reconcile DD1 with the new game, but I'm pretty sure that explicitly different universes with different mechanics. This is not helped by the fact that the game has so many explicit callbacks. Like Roithas is called the Seneschal in the Japanese version, but it doesn't seem to be the same role as in DD1. Also his kingdom has the same layout as Gran Soren, but can't be Gran Soren because he both founded and ruled it until it was sunk into the ocean. Also he was a Catman and there were no Catmen in DD1.

Also I'd like to add that I really like the upgrade The Brine got in 2, compared to just being a weird gameplay contrivance in 1.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 8, 2024

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ajkalan posted:

The only scenario you could justify using Aphonite is on a Silent Bob pawn.

I've been watching a streamer do a main pawn only run and it did kind of get annoying having them suggest they add another class every couple of minutes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
But I need to purchase one of every armor and weapon for fashion purposes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

goddamn it I bought a new bow and sold my old one and then immediately talked to the elf right outside the armory and saw that he wants a bow and I can’t afford to buy one. maybe one will show up in a chest or off a mob

Switch your pawn to archer to get a new set of starting gear.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

It's either Elrohir or Elladan

Pretty sure it's Gwyneth Paltrow.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You need to be inputting the direction you want to jump as you hit the button. It seems to be way more reliable to be facing perpendicular to the walls you want to jump off/between.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Nuebot posted:

lmao I finally did the quest to save melve and the mystic spearhand guy just immediately hands me his maister skill and I unlock the class.

That happens if you keep the Lesser Dragon from fleeing and kill it. Otherwise you have to track it down to get the Maister skill. So I'm guessing by "finally" you were super over leveled compared to when the quest unlocks.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You know what's kind of messed up? You're better off from a completionist standpoint if you let that family get nuked. If you send Hugo to become the new merchant, he'll sell a unique facemask.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://dragonsdogma2.wiki.fextralife.com/Wolfpack+Kerchief

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
For the Griffin, you just need to burn the wings after the fights been going a while, instead of as soon as you can.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Volte posted:

I got to the endgame part (haven't done anything yet) and I've heard there's a time limit before you're forced into NG+, but I've also heard you can stop the time limit by doing stuff there, but nobody can seem to agree on exactly what the parameters and results are. Is there an authoritative conclusion on how that mechanic works?

I think you're conflating two things about the endgame.

1. You need to kill the big light beam bosses to keep areas from being eaten by The Brine before they evacuate.

2. You can only "rest" so many times before the game won't let you do it anymore. This can be circumvented by using All Heals to restore your loss gauge instead, but I think at some point stuff just stops respawning so there ceases to be a point.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think I read that the Talos thing can only happen if you kill it relatively quickly during the initial fight. Apparently it takes scripted damage at a certain point along the route and loses both arms or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Right, but I think there are like 4 places along it's route where it can finally stop.