Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nothing about the new leveling system prevents you from using whatever hyper-specific combo Reddit decides is optimal. I don't understand the complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Had a drag-out brawl with an ogre last night where my party got kicked to death repeatedly and I barely managed to finish it off without burning a wakestone. When I revived my pawn, she helpfully told me that various materials can be combined into different items. This game is incredible.

If you want to hire my cat wizard, the id is W988C1GUU9O7. I'm assuming that's the letter O and not a zero.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oh, when the game says Warrior gets damage and stun resistance while charging they actually mean you just straight-up cannot be stopped. A griffon dive bombed onto me during a charge and all that did was put its big, stupid face right in front of my sword.

Thief was a lot of fun, but Warrior just erases health bars.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is there an inclination that will cause your pawns to use the spellbooks you find? I've been loading my cat wizard up with them but the big ol' nerd is just hoarding them.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only mechanical benefit to leveling various vocations is snagging augments you want, right? Do any of the advanced classes require something leveled to unlock? Mystic Spearman didn't but that's the only one I've found.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Brant wants me to go to a fancy masquerade and that sounds fun but I also found a way past the border and I want to explore that. Is there a port crystal in a city down there somewhere or does Vernworth have the only fixed one?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Play posted:

There isn't one in the main city down there

But, you can unlock ox carts so you can daisy chain between there and Vernworth with checkpoint town as a stopover. Not sure if it goes the other direction as well, or if you need to do something specific to unlock the ox cart.

If it were me I'd find that out, or come back a bit later with an extra port crystal to place

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Answer: ....no there is not a portcrystal at the capital, and if you go there before you're "supposed" to the oxcart is disabled, so it's a little more intense than you might be ready for.

Ah dang. I guess I have to stop ignoring the plot sooner or later.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Maybe thief or whatever has better stamina gains/retention augments or something because as a fighter, my stamina is half gone by the time I reach a cyclops' head. I still do it because it's usually safer than standing on the ground.

Yeah, Thief has both a increase max stamina augment and one that reduces how much you spend climbing or grabbing an enemy. That first one is pretty useful for everyone, except Sorcerers I guess.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm enjoying exploration in this game more than any in recent memory. There's little nooks and crannies everywhere, and the goblin hordes don't bother me because combat is fun and those little encounters are quick anyway. Plus, there's been loads of times where I'll finish mopping up some randos, turn around to see my pawn floating ominously inside an ice tornado (Sorcerers love to do this) and notice some ruin or cave or landmark behind her that I missed before.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I do wish there was more infighting between enemy types. I've had a griffon jump in while I'm fighting a drake and get ripped to shreds to give me some breathing room, which was cool, but I've never seen goblins and saurians throwing down.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

True, though still a vocation requirement. And that house has pretty good stuff inside it (a neat-looking helm, ferrystone, and 12k IIRC), so I didn't want to just ignore it.

I lug around a bunch of spellbooks for doors like that. Anyone can use them and the spells that do damage can break the bars on the door. I would prefer if there were throwable inventory items like in the first game for stuff like that, though. Even just like a small rock would probably do it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

First big disappointment with the game for me: I found the southern path to the Volcano Island, and a lady outside the cave told me to stay away because it was a deadly labyrinth filled with monsters. I went in and it's a straight line. Yeah, there's monsters out the rear end, but you just follow the one path to the other side. You told me there'd be a labyrinth, random lady! There wasn't even a minotaur in there!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

LibbyM posted:

I failed to rescue an npc because I respec'd vocation before starting a quest that is significantly harder than I thought it would be, and I hated the new vocation. The quest is currently marked as me having to go back and tell the npc I failed to rescue the person she wanted me to save.

Will using a wakestone actually reverse the state of this quest, making me have successfully rescued him? Or are the wakestones more just for reviving npc's that you need to get further quests from and stuff?

It'll count as a successful rescue, don't sweat it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I gave my pawn the running charge move where she impales goblins and slams them into a wall. It doesn't seem efficient but it looks very funny.

You can also end it early to launch them off your sword and off cliffs/into the sea. It's a very fun move.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Someone tell me that the mystic spearhand maister skill sucks because I just unlocked it and it looks extremely cool but I don't necessarily want to switch off warfarer yet

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sea Lily posted:

it eats a lot of stamina for how much damage it puts out. it does look very cool but its kind of weird

Gyoru posted:

It sucks and uses too much stamina for the damage it does. Most maister skills outside of magick archer, thief, and both of sorc's spells aren't that great

Thank you. I got fooled by the warrior maister skill and am glad to avoid the mid-combat disappointment a second time.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If your pawn is giving you lip, it's time to give them a dip. (in the brine)

It's just responsible arisening to bathe your pawns regularly.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Is it a big deal to change vocation?

Nope. You have to go to a vocation guild or inn that has the option, but they're in every town.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I just got my most positive pawn travelogue:

"Manifold were the lessons I learned on this journey.
The Arisen grew mightier with each challenge we faced.
'Twas a singular adventure. I know not what more to say."

I wonder if this means they did quests I haven't done?

I think it can also mean they learned new techniques like grabbing enemies to toss them away from casters or throwing barrels at slimes. Whoever taught my pawn to climb monsters was very rude, though. She's a sorcerer! She can't do anything up there!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

no foe is more fierce than the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't care I'm not getting anything for it, I'm never taking the Spearhand skill that ejects goblins from reality off

Spearhand skills have dumb names so I've just been calling that one the Goblin Space Program