Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Can you make your cat person look like a sphynx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DRAGONS DOGMA 2!!!!!!!!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

When those GMG keys

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I LOVE living in an era where CPU bound performance is just normal again, the 90s are back!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dragon's Sugma

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Google Butt posted:

Release this on geforceNOW, NOW!!!!!

Sorry but its only available on GeForceLATER

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm someone who enjoys having a party of freaks and it's crazy how I have to set the pawn search option to basically exclusively masculine to not just get hordes of Generic Attractive Woman #474763. You still get hordes of Generic Maxed Height White Guy #5846844 but it's still way, way easier to find a non-boring pawn that way.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Communist Thoughts posted:

agreed but elden ring is the greatest game yet made so its not really a fair comparison

i do hope there are more monsters though as I get a bit further in

My pawns and I taking down a chimera during a grueling twenty minute fight while underleveled with several desperate, down to the wire revives, some clutch freezes from the mage, my warrior catching me after I got blasted 50 feet into the air, the archer barraging the snake head to drop my rear end, my bomb placed at the chimera legs knocking it down, the warrior doing a perfect follow up and bashing it so it toppled over completely, all leading to a chimera corpse after I desperately hacked the snake head off with two pawns down and my mage's perfectly time heal being the only thing that saved us, an inventory depleted of items because I had to use everything at my disposal, that one fight was more exciting, dynamic, and satisfying than anything I did in Elden Ring, coop or otherwise.

Elden Ring is a great game, but like someone else said, it feels like "DS but open world" pretty much exactly. The interactions with pawns, how incredibly dynamic and emergent the combat feels in this game, for me personally, is far more engaging than ED's combat and world design. The dungeons in ED are def better, but then you get to the end of it and have a corny repeating fight with an enemy that doesn't feel interesting to fight anymore.

I could fight chimeras in this over and over. In ED? There's maybe a handful of enemies I found consistently fun to re-engage.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

If you explore everything the game takes an eternity. I p much played for 15 hours before actually following that dude to the next city, and there was still stuff I hadn't completely scoured in the starting area.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Babe Magnet posted:

DD1 was so "short" (main-quest wise) that they eventually added a separate speed-run game mode and people managed to knock it down to like 12 minutes. Main quest completion is not a good marker for how much there is to do in this game.

Main quests being easy to beat fast in open world games has been a thing since like Wasteland lol.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Which OG Fallout players have not rushed to the gas station and Navarro to get EZ-PZ power armor in fifteen minutes?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Babe Magnet posted:

where my limeware platter brothers at

Only stopping for just long enough to tell Fargoth I hate him before levitating eight miles to kill a false God.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Owl Inspector posted:

In my playthroughs of DD1 I never had trouble getting my pawn hired and I never tried to game it, I usually just made Big Dude Who Carries Stuff and gave him whatever was useful to me personally. Haven’t been so successful here, I’ve done the same thing but only had 2 hires that were apparently extremely brief because I got less than 100 RC from each. without evidence I blame the influencer pawns.

Yeah it's weird, my pawn in DD1 was grotesque but he got RC constantly. I'm lucky if I get poo poo in this.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think the real culprit is "Must have quest knowledge" checked by default, so if you're playing slower your pawn is higher level and costs people RC, and he straight up doesn't show up for people higher level who are farther ahead because he doesn't know anything about that stage of the game.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'll be adding my pawn to the goon list soon, he's a fat little orange cat named Friar Puck and he's an aggro mage with Celerity. I haven't had a ton of time to play so he's lower level but I'd appreciate people taking him out so he can get that knowledge.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ytlaya posted:

I'm a person who generally has trouble playing "open" games like this and prefers very "directed" games with clear objectives. I expected to fall off of this quickly like I did with Elden Ring or the open world Zeldas. I think this is the first really "open" game I've really been hooked on.

I'm not even entirely sure why. I think it's a combination of the combat feeling more "tangible"* and the game generally being easier than, say, Elden Ring (so there isn't the same sense of constant tension). And the world still has more NPCs and quests than in the open world Zelda games.

* probably not coincidentally, I also got pretty into Monster Hunter World for a while. I like it when attacks feel "physical" and aren't just animations that create numbers.

The cave is weirdly far away from where the quest sends you.

It's because most open world games are just an excuse for you to travel around looking for content in a big space and the content invariably becomes tedious because the gameplay isn't complex or interesting enough to support it past a certain amount of playtime (Cyberpunk 2077), or because there is a massive fall-off in quality or variety as the game progresses because trying to figure out how to pull all the player's past experiences, item collection, and game knowledge into a balanced endgame is extremely difficult, like Elden Ring and the booty rear end last quarter of the game where they made it so virtually everything kills you in two hits even if you stacked health and survability insanely and you run into tons of repeat content because making these games is literally not a sustainable practice, they take insane amounts of time and money to make so there's always something that has to give unless you're like Rockstar levels of moneyed with infinite time.

Speaking of Rockstar, RDR2 is an extremely different game but succeeds far more than most open world games for the same reason this one does, the gameplay may be limited in scope, but the AI, layered mechanics that can interact in many ways, and the physics system can make even the most basic encounters have some crazy poo poo happen in them.

It's far more exciting to come across a campsite, shoot a guy in the foot, watch him trip and accidentally pull the trigger of his own gun into his own face, then look at his goofy rear end dead body just laying there anti-climactically. I remember that 5 second long interaction more than I do like 90% of the content in something like Horizon: Zero Dawn lol.

This game is very similar in that regard. It's fun to explore because the terrain can make poo poo crazy. The fact that you can run off a cliff and land on top of a cyclop's head and start wailing on it is such a simple thing, but outright makes the world and its geography feel more consequential.

I'm tired of open world games that are just static. I want more complex AI, more goofy poo poo to happen, or at the very least, a reason for the world to be open outside of being an amusement park or selling scale. This isn't even getting into poo poo how just having the camping mechanic, reloads chunking off a bit of your healthbar, and the world being hostile because it steadily depletes your resources as you over-extend, actually makes it feel like you're going on a journey instead of just ping-ponging between fast travels or trying to make it to the next bonfire or whatever.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Imo Dragon's Dogma would be way more boring if it toned down this "no gently caress u" design. Most of what I like about the combat is that it's usually pure chaos where you can be fighting a cyclops and a pack of wolves but then a gryphon swoops in because it wanted to eat an ox because gently caress you. It's what makes the combat extra satisfying when your party goes full gank squad on everything.

It's funny because the OG first two Gothic games basically did the opposite, outside of areas that made sense, if you killed everything in an area, it just stayed dead forever lol, it was kind of cool because it felt like you really did clear up this wack rear end prison dome.

I see a lot of Gothic DNA in the DD games tbh, I dunno if the devs ever played them, but those games also relied heavily on emergent gameplay, the world feeling genuinely dangerous and hostile, and wild poo poo happening because of NPC interactions. It still blows my mind that for over a decade barely any other RPGs implemented a good solution to "you have stolen my chicken egg; the sentence is death" problem whereas Gothic NPCs would just beat your rear end unconscious, then take what you stole off your floored body, and usually something extra while calling you a piece of poo poo lol.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Third World Reagan posted:

There is a better solution to the forgery jadite orb quest

The forgery jadite orb quest you say?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

We're blasting this at the coronation: https://youtu.be/NgqbjlUp35U?si=F36z3LiJ_kYdH4ii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My pawn looking left and right over his shoulder at my new pawn hires: "Arisen? Are you gay, Arisen???"