Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Will the bow require shooter style aiming or does it support lock on style combat? Or both? I'm not personally a fan of shooting with a controller, but I definitely want to play a third person action game with one. This is sort of the problem I have with GTA and CP2077, where I want keyboard and mouse on foot and a game pad in a vehicle.

Bows are free aimed like a shooter but magic bows have a lock on, and for normal bows the first game at least had such generous arrow hitboxes that you didn’t have to be very precise to get headshots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Footage from their own trailers has shown pretty severe frame drops, like DD1 spells on PS3 levels, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up for performance.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The world in DD1 was the biggest place where you could feel the game’s reach exceeding its budget so I think DD2’s world having a chance to meet the devs’ original vision for the game is the most exciting thing about it. a lot of the issues I had with DD1 are visibly still there so I’m tempering my expectations about my gripes from that game going away, but I do think the world is going to be a lot more interesting to explore now

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don’t think I’m watching any more footage from the game. just gonna take this one in blind and see where it takes me. see you all on the other side into free

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Finally poked around the character creator a bit and echoing that the hair options feel a bit limited next to how detailed everything else is, I’m struggling to make some character lookalike pawns and might just go with a generic pawn instead like I made in DD1

The character creators in team ninja’s recent games let you change the bangs and adjust hair length independently of the overall style which is a really nice feature I’d like to see more of.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

“A pawn’s idea of organization” is a terrifying concept though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

There is a specialization which just exists to make your pawn not talk if you're some kind of loving coward.

The different things they’re putting in this category are really confusing. the elvish translation one is something that presumably affects quests and lets you see more lore, the inventory sort and auto combine sound like QOL options meant to save time looking at menus, and this one is just something I would expect to just be in the options menu. I don’t know why these are exclusive choices.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When does GMG normally send out steam keys for preorders? I got the fancy version since they have it for about $11 off and I liked DD1 enough to go for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I guess nothing would be harmed by adding a lockon but I never felt like I needed one. for big monsters it helps to keep free control of the camera like monster hunter and the game has a little bit of invisible aim assist to turn melee attacks toward an enemy so it’s not hard to hit small enemies without a lockon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’m really glad they gave warrior such a major glow up with the monster hunter greatsword tackle and the timed hits thing, I think that’s going to make it much more interesting to play and just hope there’s fewer encounters where the lack of range is suffering/pawns know how to cover for its weaknesses now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Making a good lookalike is hard! Here's Approximately Alan

Random arisen I made before I decided on a pawn, might try to make a Saga arisen although I've already spent a few hours goofing around in the editor this week and learned I am not on the same level as the people making these

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

The character creator is good, but they really need an option to change the mouth shape. Right now it's tied to the head shape so you can't just switch it without loving everything else up. It was an option in DD1, wonder why they walked that back.

yeah, the base head shape seems to affect a bunch of things but it's really hard to tell which one to pick upfront without being able to see how the choices will compare with a certain hairstyle etc. honestly that makes it harder to use than some of the other editors I've seen although it's obviously been shown to be capable of some really good stuff by the people who figured out the right base options to use.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

People being worried about enemies you can't damage with physical attacks seem to be forgetting that there were absolutely enemies you couldn't damage with pure physical attacks in DD1 too. This is not a new feature and the fact that you totally forgot about it suggests that it's not actually that big a deal because there were so many ways to mitigate it that you probably did it by accident.

There are cases in DD1 where playing a melee or non-hybrid class makes your group mostly or entirely unable to kill something, which absolutely sucks and there’s more cases it can happen than a bunch of posters in this thread are implying, but it also specifically only happened because the pawn feature shipped without AI so they wouldn’t kill the thing that you needed them for. if pawns now understand things like “use ranged attack on thing too far to melee” and can actually cover for your own class’s limitations it will be fine

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Digital foundry showed it dropping into the 20s on PS5 hardware which isn’t a moving target. it’s just unoptimized.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I won’t have the last part I need to upgrade to a ryzen 7 7800x3d for a few more days so I’ll be stuck with my old i7-8700 a bit longer, guess I’ll report how much of a difference the change in CPU makes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Just had a thought: Are pawns cross platform? Like, can a XBox player use a pawn from a PS5 or PC player?

the footage we’ve seen of menus looks like the “search by class” list and pawns you automatically see dropped into your rift are specific to your platform, but you can manually search for a specific pawn by ID on any platform. Don’t quote me on that I don’t have the video clip on hand

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

still cant decide if i want to have Robotnik as my pawn or not but gave him some final face adjustments and i think he's lookin good

Promotion!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I recall a MHW performance mod whose author claimed the game was doing insane things like running over 100 threads at once. be curious to see if anyone cracks this game open and finds what’s going on with the optimization.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kefa posted:

I just honestly don't see how the visuals are significantly better than Elden Ring or the Harry Potter game, or Horizon Zero Dawn.
I'd even say this game doesn't look much better than even the witcher 3.

I'm still excited for it but just sucks how we're essentially being forced into upgrading to a new console/new hardware again when no noticeable visual improvements have been made.

yeah, when I saw how returnal, demon's souls remake and ghost of tshusmina looked while running at a smooth 60 all the time, I thought we were in the clear for major release performance on ps5. this is wild.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wiltsghost posted:

It's not just visuals though. There's a lot more going on under the hood in this game. Those games you mentioned have pretty static open worlds with not much interactivity going on. This game is more like the Zelda games with all the physics poo poo.

I seriously doubt the NPC simulation is 4x as complex as dwarf fortress and requires dropping PS5 hardware to low 20 fps without most of that performance being explainable by bad optimization, sorry

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I created some content in the toilet after my coffee just now

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wasn't happy with the lookalike pawns I tried to make so when I got to the pawn creator in the full game I just caved and remade my old pawn Aughtburger, hello again old friend :shobon:

impressions after an hour are that the performance when outside of the first encampment is mostly fine even on my i7-8700 (in the encampment it's pretty choppy), but I'm surprised how, I dunno, slow things feel as an archer compared to DD1 strider. there's much more inertia to all your movement and slower animations than DD1, which felt pretty snappy by comparison where it was a lot faster to start and stop aiming.

has anyone else seen weird results searching for pawns? the servers may be overloaded or something, I sometimes get no results searching for pawns (when pawns who meet the criteria are already in the rift) and I could not get a single thief pawn to appear.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In my first trip to the pawn rift I was immediately greeted by "Jane Dogma" and "shart"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shard posted:

I don't know why those reviews bombing this on steam for the dlc care. The other dragon's dogma had a ton of that crap too. And also you can just use WEMOD to cheat that poo poo anyway.

https://www.wemod.com/cheats/dragons-dogma-2-trainers

it’s still poo poo practice and I hope it continues to be bad PR as many times as it’s tried

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It adds a lot that pawns talk to each other and have some very different lines for being a hired pawn vs your main pawn.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

Really everyone is too busy screaming about microtransactions that no one is complaining about the real issue: How did this game fail to launch with a cosmetic system?

Yeah this is super weird honestly

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Play posted:

It's not that weird. You put on a piece of armor to get the benefits of it, then it exists in reality. The weird thing is games that let you wear super massive demon armor but also your 1000 year old dragon girl main character shows they're wearing lingerie

Thank you for expressing your point in the least normal way possible

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

do timed quests not start the timer until you accept them? The tutorial description kinda implies this is the case but I don't know if I should count on it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't had anyone hire my pawn according to when I've slept at an inn but he pointed out a chest with dialogue implying it was found from being hired by another player. does the game simulate your pawn being hired or does their knowledge update from other players more often than when you personally rest?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

a dark souls 2 style HP penalty per death (but about 3x as severe as that game) is not something I expected and it suck rear end

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Popete posted:

Picked up the game but haven't started yet, trying to pick a vocation.

It sounds like a vocations are locked at the start, how does that work? If I pick a starting vocation is it easy to change later in the game or if I wanna pick a new one do I have to start over?

You can change vocations at any inn and it only costs a small amount of class exp to do it the first time you switch to a vocation, it's not a big deal

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's extremely weird how much of the snappy action feel they removed from DD1 when that was one of the best things about it. they added long uncancelable animations to everything archer does, made every bit of terrain vacuum you into traversal animations that take away your controls, and removed the core dodge skill while not giving any way out of an infinite stunlock from the first time you get hit, so you now handle more like a vehicle or a horror game protag now. I hope other classes feel better because basically every change from DD1 feels like a nerf so far

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

These 4 guards I'm supposed to follow to the city completely vanished at some point in a cave. I have no idea what happened but it's been 3 days since I last saw them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lmao at the Riftstone of Robustness that summons a dozen perfect wrestlers

Babe Magnet posted:

they probably got slimed. Those mfers are NPC dissolvers, legitimately the most dangerous early game enemies for NPCs. They just stand there and melt in them

There were no slimes in the cave (it's the one with a chimera and a hidden upper level with a lich) and all 4 of them disappeared at the same time while my pawns were fine, so I'm wondering if I got too far from the quest path so they peaced

Anyway I've done another two caves and a bunch of side area since they vanished so I think I'm just going to become a career spelunker instead of looking into any of this "arisen" business

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm so glad the old inclination system is gone so you can safely use the pawn commands as much as you want without worrying about it changing their AI to guardian or whatever

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How do you activate the archer core skill that changes the default aimed shot to a more powerful version?

JackDarko posted:

On Steam Is there a way to get the UI display to show the PlayStation controller glyphs?

Controls->Button Icon Type in the options

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 24, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Did a wide circle in the open world to revive my pawn after he got killed by bandits that were 10x as powerful as the bandits directly next to them. just as I reach him a random pawn on the road vacuums me into dialogue and my pawn has timed out by the time I've skipped out of it. big fan of every single random thing taking away your controls

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/vo3TfpL.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I killed the superbandits by managing to throw them into the brine and then stunlocking the last one with the group. I got the tutorial about reviving characters with wakestones and this dead bandit is the first thing in the game I've had the option to revive. I guess I just broke some quest I'll learn about in 20 hours

Khanstant posted:

Man the fall damage is kinda weird and annoying. I keep hopping off this dragon and somehow a little jump less than a thatch but high kills me flat even if I take only a tiny bit of damage when landing

it's super weird how the first game let you faceplant and keep trucking but in this one you instantly drop dead from like 8 meters