Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Be funny if we all land up missing the letterboxing they put into the og DD1 to reduce the number of pixels rendered so it could run on the consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

nvm

Game rules so far.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 24, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I know the game has higher level enemies placed around, but is it fully unleveled/unscaled or does it scale lower level enemies up to your level?

Wondering if going back to do side quests later necessarily means you'll steam roll them.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So it sounds like camping gear is best carried on you, not your pawn.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Oh yeah, I guess that makes sense. But encumbrance is such a huge deal in this game, especially early on, that I still much prefer to keep my camping kit on my main pawn.

My reasoning has been the same as yours, but maybe it's better to keep all the other stuff on the pawns especially as combining doesn't seem to care which inventory an item is in. Having to find a rift stone just to revive the main pawn seems like it would interrupt the flow quite a bit. But I'm very early in, barely anywhere, so don't know if that's a real concern.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If you have a 40xx card, the mod just unlocks functionality already in the game's to do DLSS 3 frame interpolation. HUD should be fine - "should" because I haven't tried it. But there are reports of crashes on some systems being why Capcom disabled it in the first place.

That mod can also be used with other mods to enable frame interpolation on 20xx/30xx cards with AMDs FSR3 as well. The HUD supposedly goes to a blurry mess if you do this. I tried this briefly, had crashes and immediately backed out.

I've gone back to DLSS 2 on my 3070 Ti laptop, which gets a pretty solid 60 fps in the wilderness anyways.

One easy observation: High setting nearby shadows with DLSS show flicker. Setting shadow quality to Max removes that flicker but chew up way too much fps to be worth it.

Shadow flicker problems go away with FSR3, even on High. In general FSR3 seemed way less blurry than DLSS 2 even on a NVidia 30xx card.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ladders have a ! icon on the minimap, if that wasn't already clear - helpful when your pawn points one out. In at least one case, the minimap icon was off the true location, but it was close by nevertheless.

Mostly staying away from the thread to avoid spoilers as I'm playing through pretty slowly. Game kicks rear end - open world exploration feels great. The death / camp mechanics feel good too - makes you not just rush into combat, rinse and repeat if you fail, which eventually makes any combat system boring.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

Ladders have a ! icon on the minimap, if that wasn't already clear - helpful when your pawn points one out. In at least one case, the minimap icon was off the true location, but it was close by nevertheless.

It isn't just ladders that are marked with a ! icon, actually. It's whatever your pawns just pointed out to you! This is really cool.

I'm still in Melve and neither of the 2 ladders I found are marked any more when I load back in, but a pawn just pointed out the readable poster outside the Apothecary and as soon as they did, a ! popped up on the minimap.

So when they call out something like a chest or whatever, check out the minimap right away.

Game good.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw an excellent written review of the game posted on Twitter today. The writer actually has nuance and good observations on player vs developer oriented world design.

https://cohost.org/dreamcastaway/post/5275166-abandon-all-delusion

Thanks for sharing this.

You've quoted some of this, but to pull out the one sentence here:

quote:

Dragon's Dogma 2 has come into prominence during a time where imaginative interpretation of mechanics is at an all time low and calls for "consumer" gratification are taken as truisms.

That's where the industry was IMO when Demons' Souls came out I thought. I bought a PS3 just to play it because it was so different about insisting on its terms being what you engaged with, instead of all the sign posted, no consequences games out at the time. I thought things changed a lot after it and Dark Souls came out.

I don't think DD2 is a hard game - you level so quickly that you can stay pretty safe. But that article rings true in that it really commits to its world and its rules and that's so refreshing when convenience and "respect my time, game" features can take away so much as well.

My most memorable sequence in the game was deciding to walk down to the capital instead of take the proffered cart ride, then swapping a pawn mid way and apparently losing my camp gear in that swap. Getting stuck early in the beginning of a very long sequence without a way to skip night really colored all that followed and made the trip extremely memorable in an organic, emergent way that no level of dev design would have - the tensions and resolutions were mine alone.

I used my only wakestone at one point of that journey because I was damned if I'd restart that sequence. And I was risk averse from that point though I still wanted to explore. Fun times.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 27, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I swapped the trigger and bumper functions very early on and have no regrets. Both left and right side.

It's great the game lets you customize the controller mapping directly in-game since all of the prompts and tutorials then switch to show the right inputs to use.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If anyone is interested in revisiting the first game, these two mods look cool:
- Magick Archer Alternate Stat Growth
- Mystic Knight Alternate Stat Growth

They make it so that you can actually play as those classes instead of doing 200 levels of Sorceror/Ranger or whatever instead of the class you actually want to play as. It doesn't add extra attack/magic attack so much as rebalance how much is spent on attack vs defense, keeping the total constant. It basically moves 1 from each defense to the attack stats so the atttack growth per level goes from 2 & 3 (physical and magic attack respectively) to 3 & 4 to be more in line with other classes which have 7 total points across the 2 attack types.

There's a variant that makes Magick Archer simply have Sorcerer's stat growth (2 & 5), but I chose the "balanced" version that's more middle of the road across physical and magic attack (3 & 4).

The Mystic Knight mod's Files section has a version with both mods merged into one arc file.

Installed on Steam Deck and the game runs very well with everything maxed out. Set a 45 fps cap and its around 4.5 hours of playtime on an oled deck.

E: Also turns out that the Torso selection governs how fast you run in DDDA. Torsos 7 & 8 have the best running speeds - 20% faster than the average speed. This game.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 28, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Reive posted:

Would I enjoy Dark Arisen after finishing 2? I've had it for forever and always felt it was incredibly difficult but my mindset for 2 tells me I should give it another try.

I went back to DD:DA after about 20 hours in DD2 - not because I disliked my time in DD2, was having a lot of fun, but more because it makes sense to wait on patches and DLC for DD2 while finishing the game I always liked but never got more than 20 hours into.

I somehow seem to appreciate DA all the more now, probably because I've played a *lot* of Monster Hunter in the years since DD1 came out - starting with World and going back to some of the older games. I appreciate DD's combat style a lot more now.

It's been a real blast so far. Just clearing out the quarry, so I'm really very early in the game.

I even chose not to mod the game except for one that tweaks MA/MK to have a slightly rebalanced stat growth where one point each is moved from the phys/magic defenses to the phys/magic attacks. Plan to use any and all classes as I choose and not try to min/max at all.

It's a lot of fun, def go back to DD:DA if you're even remotely interested.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Reive posted:

My biggest problem with DD back in the day was trash mobs feeling overwhelming, the trek with the oxcart to the capital killed my interest every time because of the constant harpies and bandits, everything felt like it hit way too hard and had too much sponge health. I'm curious how much of that is me playing dumb or if it was an actual issue.

That was my memory from my first runs too, but I picked better skills this time through. All of that felt pretty straightforward, including the Saurians in the well. I think DD2 has a better intro sequence and I was better at the game this time.

But the 3 Ogres in the Quarry are another matter, though maybe I shouldn't have gone there straight after reaching Gran Soren. I brute forced the first one, but then went back to the city to figure out a better skill load out and also to craft better healing. Fighter feels really good so far, now that I've got some skills.

I feel like I'm engaging more with the game's systems this time. Crafting better healing for myself and pawns for eg., not chewing through Greenwarish that can provide significantly better healing through crafting.

Unlike the original, you get the Eternal Ferrystone right away when you get to Gran Soren - infinite but limited fast travel right out of the gate. There's also a very early Portcrystal at the bottom of the Everfall, make sure you pick it up in that first visit. So it's quite the gentler start than the original game when it comes to getting around.

The combat does feel more consequential so far than DD2. It's easier to die/you have to stay more watchful. I may even put in a slower leveling mod to keep that feeling as I'm enjoying having to engage with the game's crafting and stuff.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm looking at merging a couple of DDDA mods and unpacked game_main.arc. The names of the files that control vocation ranks are interesting, they don't match the names we see in the game itself.

- Mage rank growth is in a file named Magic User (LvMagicUser.lvl.xml). Perhaps reflecting Itsuno's interest in early D&D?
- Mystic Knight is Paladin. Another nod to D&D?
- Ranger is Hunter. Well, there goes the D&D theory as Ranger was in og D&D and in AD&D wikipedia says.
- Magick Archer is Trickster. So that vocation name was already in the original game.
- Sorcerer is Wizard.
- Warrior is Battler.
- Fighter, Assassin, Strider all have the same names for their files.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Created a DDDA mod merge that adds a 2.5x slower leveling factor into the Magick Archer Alternate Stat Growth and Mystic Knight Alternate Stat Growth mods: DDDA 2.5x slower leveling with MA MK alt stat growth.

This doesn't touch Vocation leveling or even Experience gain, so you'll get dcp at the same rate as vanilla and can buy skills just as normal. It changes the experience required for each character level instead, slowing it down by a factor of 2.5x. So I'm at level 20 and instead of the 16,300 xp I need in vanilla to hit level 21, I now need 40,456 xp.

So your HP/Stamina/Attack/MagAttack/Defense/MagDefense values will go up more slowly since you gain character levels slower, but you'll gain skills and vocation ranks at the exact same rate as in vanilla.

This does mean your pawn will have better skills at lower levels, so it'll be stronger than other pawns online. But no one's hired my pawn in 20 hours, so I feel I'm not going to disrupt the fabric of the universe with this.

There's a 3x slower leveling mod that people seem pleased enough with, so I went for slightly faster leveling with a 2.5x slowdown instead. That mod also drops dcp leveling and therefore skill acquisition by 2x, which I didn't want. And of course, this merges in the MA/MK alt stat growth as well.

It uses the balanced versions of the MA MK alt stat growth values, which keep everything about MA/MK the same except for moving 1 point each from phys/magic defense to phys/magic attack - which brings them up to the combined 7 points of attack that all other vocations have, including Assassin.

If you want to do this yourself, there's a good merge tutorial I followed. You can download ArcTool itself, customized for DDDA, on Nexus.

E: Back up your nativePC/rom/game_main.arc file first if you want to revert easily - or use Steam verify to do that. You can only have one mod active that changes that file, hence this merge.

I'm doing the slower leveling because I thought the Hero Achievement looks quite fun: doing all quests in the game. Not an achievements person but that's how I tend to play in any case so it's a fun goal. Using the wiki and this guide to make sure I don't miss any quests by progressing the game too quickly. Sounds like you get over-leveled very quickly in DDDA if you are a do everything player.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Owl Inspector posted:

You can't shoot down ladders, unless I somehow did it wrong when I tried

I think Launchpad to kick it down is the only way.