Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I really wish there was some good way of sharing pawns and characters. People have made some insanely good creations but there's no way I can see to dump out a preset as a string or anything. I myself made a pretty good Doctor House, M.D. and a passable Will Ospreay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

External Organs posted:

Do we know when The review embargo is up? I'm mainly curious about console performance for Series S

I don't know for sure since I'm not doing a review, but I heard a day or two before launch.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jack Trades posted:

OH MY loving GOD!

You can fist bump your pawn after a won fight?! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?!

Not only fist bump, but high five, medium five, low five and sometimes even do that awkward thing where one person goes to fist bump and the other wants to slap palms, so the palm slapper just kinda holds the fist for a bit.

Generally? If someone liked Dragon's Dogma 1, they'll absolutely love this. If they don't know that they love Dragon's Dogma 1, there's a chance they'll not love this, because holy poo poo the designers made some dragons dogma rear end design decisions here.

E: I was incorrect about this -- the stuff that's lost on insta-dead pawns gets dumped into your inn storage.

I don't want to put anyone off, because Dragon's Dogma is absolutely one of my favourite games of all time, and this is nailing all the same highs and then some. Just be aware that it's intentionally an old school game in many ways that may seem a bit weird by today's standards, and that it's intentionally janky in some ways, and unintentionally janky in some others. But that's all part of the charm.

Can't say anything about game length or the overall plot because I only got the game a few days ago and I've been just adventuring around the world all the time, I stopped doing main scenario quests the second I could.

Performance for me has been all over the place. 5600X and 3080, the capital is a slide show, and the game sometimes chugs heavily even out in the wild with occasional sub 30 FPS. This is with DLSS set to "Balanced". And the weird thing is, according to Shadowplay, neither my CPU or GPU are maxed out, so there's something loving weird going on with this thing.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 20, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zore posted:

Uh

Are we sure its gone forever? In the first game it got dumped back into your inventory when that happened. Did they really get that much more brutal in 2?

At least for me they are gone. It's only happened to me once, so I guess it's possible I've run into a bug or they've been dumped in some non-inn storage bin somewhere, but some stuff I very much would have liked to keep is now g-o-n-e.

E: Actually I'm gonna double check this. The game says when a pawn becomes forfeit, all the poo poo they're carrying gets sent to storage.

E2: OK, the stuff I thought was perma-lost is in my inn storage, editing original message. Phew.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 20, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Caesar Saladin posted:

Do they still use the word ought all the time? its very important to the overall feel of the game.

You will hear the words aught and naught roughly 57234 times a minute.

You will also hear that these are materials, master, every time you pick up a strawberry. And then immediately afterwards that different combinations of materials may yield different results. Roughly 6321415 times an hour.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

loving Moron posted:

So is there any downside to setting my Xbox to Norway or whatever so I can play early? I don't even know how to do it tbh...do I need a VPN?

Yeah they'll come to your house and make you eat a can of surströmming, so decide if it's worth that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My pawn is Doctor Gregory House, M.D.

I tried to give him a low gravely voice like House has, but in the actual game he sounds like loving Mr. Bean and I am full of regret every time he opens his mouth.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Walked posted:

My only real hesitation in picking this up is the lack of a lock on button. I really lean on that in this sorta game.

It's not a big deal. You can aim anything that needs aiming, and there's a pretty generous auto-target system that for the most part works just fine.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Saxophone posted:

I7-11700 @ 2.5 GHZ
32 gigs of ram
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

It's also worth noting that FSR3 really works on the PC version. My game is now running smoothly in the wilderness at the default settings (mostly high) at 1440P. Ryzen 5600x + RTX 3080. You should be good.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Anyways I give it a week before some enterprising modder finds out that the reason everything runs like rear end is because they're calculating the exact physics interactions of the teeth of each NPC in the world at the same time or something. It's always something silly when the optimization is this awful.

It also has Denuvo, which has historically led to bizarre and awful performance problems in many games where they implemented it poorly.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rinkles posted:

but again, the performance issues on pc seem to be in line with those on consoles

Yeah, but I mean... I'm not surprised the performance is what it is on consoles. They don't have amazing processors and this is a processor intensive game. On PC I'd expect better because people with even very beefy processors are having problems.

But could also be a red herring, and the game's just a resource hog for ~reasons~.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mulva posted:

It's not a loving brain teaser, the AI and scripting is a lot heavier than most titles, and it applies to every NPC in the game. Put a lot of them together, it slows the game down.

Yes, that's the official line. But absolutely nothing I've seen in my 25 hours is so next level poo poo that mere mortal computers just can't handle it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Magmarashi posted:

Obviously it's a conspiracy then, instead of a simple magnitude issue /s

What loving conspiracy? "Badly implemented Denuvo / DRM / programming errors causing a game to run like poo poo" has happened time and time again and it's not like they're gonna come out and say that's what's going on.

This reminds me of Rime, a neat third person platformer from a few years ago. It ran like absolute dog poo poo on the PC, and people immediately suspected it was Denuvo. The game's developers responded and said it absolutely wasn't Denuvo and made some excuses. A month or so later some pirate group cracked the game and discovered they'd hosed up the Denuvo implementation so completely, the game would phone home to the Denuvo servers hundreds of thousands of times every time you loaded the game, and 30-50 times a second during normal gameplay. Surprisingly the pirated version apparently ran perfectly fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syQm39L_eo0

Like yeah, it obviously demands a lot from the CPU, there's no denying that. But it can be that plus bugs, or that plus a badly implemented Denuvo, or that plus their own weird Capcom DRM. Or it can just be that they couldn't optimize it as much as you'd hope, poo poo happens and programming is hard. Who knows!

E:

Volte posted:

Are you referring to framegen? Everything I can find indicates that the game doesn't support any kind of frame generation, even DLSS 3. If you just mean upscaling, then why not use DLSS given that you have an Nvidia card?

Because that ran like poo poo for me for some reason. FSR3 produces far better results. Like shockingly so. Yes, I am as surprised as anyone else. Could be related to nVidia not having their optimized drivers out yet, so things might improve when those come out. In either case switching from DLSS to FSR3 turned my game from choppy and frustrating to "runs pretty drat smooth out in the wilderness for most part, but still chops like crazy in towns".

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 21, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Volte posted:

Weird, sounds like a bug. Hopefully some patches will iron things out relatively quickly.

Yeah, could just be the lack of optimized drivers or a bug.

And honestly... well, not exclusively this, but in decent part this, got me to finally pull the trigger on the 5600x -> 7800X3D upgrade I've been eyeing for a while. If it still runs like crap I'm gonna throw my PC at Hideaki Itsuno.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If anyone wants a curmudgeonly healer / buffer:

E: I realize that hiring a level 33 (and increasing) pawn as a low level player is prohibitively expensive, but hiring friends' pawns remains free, so if anyone wants a free House, M.D., just send me a friend request on Steam:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/soralapio/

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 22, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Black Griffon posted:

So all the DLC/MTX stuff is completely redundant, right? No reason to get anything but the main game?

Yes, 100%. You will get those placeable fast travel portals by playing the game, you will find Wakestones in the world, and you will get decent amounts of Rift Crystals just by playing.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I extremely dislike that even if I save before a fight, dying and reloading from last save results in damage to max health. That really discourages me from pressing into areas or trying tough fights again which is something I enjoyed in the original.

Yeah, this is one of the design decisions I don't care for too much. It feels like it doesn't add meaningful good friction to the game, and is just irritating. Luckily in my experience in every place where there's a difficult boss fight, there's also a camping site reasonably close, so you can always go back there to sleep. Yeah, it's irritating having to run out of a dungeon, sleep, and all the way back, but what are you gonna do?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A similar thing happened to me in the Elf city. Just randomly a bunch of orcs falling out of the sky and going on a rampage downtown.

This is one of those games where I absolutely need to turn on the Shadowplay instant replay feature because so much weird poo poo just keeps happening. I really wish I'd had that on when a gryphon dive bombed me to death with an ox out of the blue.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Deified Data posted:

Also is it taking like 5-10 minutes to compile shaders every time you open the game for anyone else? Game performs great otherwise.

That's happened to me a few times. I have no idea what causes it.

johnny park posted:

Have people figured out a trick to make the performance not suck yet?

For me it was enabling FSR3. Nothing helps you in the big cities, but that made my game pretty smooth out in the wilderness. DLSS did not help at all despite having a 3080.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I literally don't understand the whining about DLC. I've played 20+ hours, and I didn't even know the game HAD DLC before the shitshow kicked off, so that's how aggressively it's "shoving it in your face". And I have never even felt the slightest urge to buy a single one of the things.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Motherfucker just threw me into the wall like a loving lawn dart. Like Kevin Nash and Rey Misterio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing damage influences enemy aggro? I had trouble getting this Cyclops to stop attacking me (the Archer) so I could resurrect our Mage. My Fighter pawn wasn't getting back aggro very quickly. This might make sense since I have a fancy bow and presumably do a lot more damage.

Many things influence aggro.

Ogres, I believe, hate women and fixate on them. At least that's what one of my pawns yelled out at me during a combat with an Ogre and it seems to be accurate, even when I stopped attacking completely the fucker was chasing me non-stop.