Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Now I want him as a pawn voice so he can call every goblin a hooplehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Inzombiac posted:

I'm so excited!

Didn't think I'd ever see a Prince Philip pawn but the resemblance is uncanny

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

7c Nickel posted:

Also you should use this image in the op because it's amazing.

https://twitter.com/DragonsDogma/status/1741640475705033071

This is so cool.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Tl, dr

Ian McShane posted:

I was accused of giving the plot away, but I just think, get a loving life. It’s only tits and dragons.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I only did one playthrough of DD1 and never tried Fighter so that's what I'm going with to start since it looks fun. I'll probably switch to Mystic Spearhand as soon as I can after that because everything about it looks awesome.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I hope all the advanced vocations have quests because it's way cooler than "get to level 10."

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 15, 2024

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

"Don't even think about using periapts, or I'll know."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Trickster looks cool but imo what makes it not very appealing compared to the other vocations (at least for now) is that being a support class in a single player game just doesn't have the same hook as in a co-op game and also the emphasis on gravity kills might give it a limited utility. I'm still holding out hope for a more offensive summoner vocation that plays like V from DMCV but it's probably just copium.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

7c Nickel posted:

On the flip side, WoolieVs is getting a pawn. Good for him. Good for him.

It's wild he's never played the first one considering what a big DMC fan he is. I guess he's a Capcom partner or whatever it's called?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

RBA Starblade posted:

I will never use some YouTube pawn and instead will be throwing any I see over a cliff

Correct

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I really hope there's at least one over-enthusiastic line read from a pawn that sounds funnier at higher pitches, like "fire works well!" from DD1.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Thumbtacks posted:

alright i have decided, here are my boys

The top one looks like Pete Postlethwaite in The Town (this is a compliment)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Spermando posted:

Can you preload this game on PS5?

Yeah but not until tomorrow

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phlegmish posted:

I found this article saying preloading will be available on all platforms starting sometime today:

https://videogames.si.com/guides/dr...e%20two%20days.

Don't know how accurate this will end up being.

Can confirm it's available for preload on PS5 since I did it this morning.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phlegmish posted:

There are no options for things like earrings in the character creator, right? I assume maybe they'll be wearable items you can find in-game.

No, at least in the pre-launch version. You've got scars and tattoos as options but no articles of clothing (other than viewing what your character looks like in the starting gear for the four base vocations).

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Coolness Averted posted:

It's a Berserk reference. They're directly modeled on the rape trolls. In DD1 they focused on female characters, and their butts and cheek turned bright pink if they saw one.

Goddamn how did I not realize this? Throw it on the pile with the Witchwood, Mercedes, the Guts pre-set in the character creator, the official tie-in armor sets, etc.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phlegmish posted:

I'm sorry to say that the hair in this game just does not look that great, especially juxtaposed with the incredibly detailed and customizable faces. As I said earlier, I experimented with going blonde, but it just makes the lackluster texturing even more obvious. Yes, this aspect is a bit disappointing.

Imo only finer hair like where it's shaved on the sides, a light beard, or light mustaches look bad in the RE Engine. It's pretty noticeable in this character creator and, like, Ryu's beard in Street Fighter 6. It looks less like hair and more like someone got spotty facepaint at a carnival. All the other hair types look great though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Look on the bright side. At least you're not a content creator.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I got Aelinore but then at the endgame after the Seneschal fight Madeline was with me at the beach so I guess it changed? The idea of Madeline being your beloved is hilarious so I'll take it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Taking a break but so far performance has been fine for me on PS5 with only some noticeable hitches in in the capital. I wish there wasn't so much clipping on hair, capes, etc. but that's really my only gripe with the visuals. It still has lots of weird stilted jank especially in dialog which is what I wanted.

Fighter is cool but I'm having to rewire my brain away from Devil May Cry controls so it'll take some getting used to. I wonder if I should have spent more time dicking around and looking for side quests, but it seems like the game pushes you to at least reach the capital before you do too much off the beaten path.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Game owns incredibly hard. The camping system is a huge QOL boost because campsites are very common and it makes it easier to explore for a long time before going back to a town. Love how pawn quests have added another layer to pimping.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It was also true of DD1 but man I love how nighttime looks in this game. Incredibly dark with little splashes of warm lighting from lanterns, torches, braziers, etc. All the character models look especially good in that lighting. I finally did that beggar quest despite being like level 22 (haven't even done the first story mission in the capital yet), and the only thing that made the tailing mission palatable was admiring all the lighting in the capital after dark.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Deified Data posted:

When does this guy actually move? Night time?

He moves late in the afternoon. You have to tail him to the tavern in the slums then wait a while, tail him again, etc.

I think so far my only real bummer with this game is that archery doesn't feel nearly as good as in DD1. Got my Arisen to rank 4 because of a quest and it's just not clicking. With how they approached physics and I guess how the RE Engine works everything has so much more heft/weight now so archery doesn't feel snappy/responsive like in DD1. The tradeoff is that stuff like perfect parries as Fighter feel amazing with all that added weight behind it. I bet Warrior feels great for the same reason so that's what I'm gonna try next. Haven't found the Magic Archer or Mystic Spearhand quests yet, but I have found a magic bow.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Thumbtacks posted:

Is finding the bow enough to unlock the vocation or do you need to actually unlock it with quests? I assumed the latter.

Pretty sure there's a quest because I went back to the vocation guild after I found it and nothing changed. I'm assuming it unlocks farther along in the story since I've mainly been exploring and doing side quests.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Warrior feels awesome against bosses. It's basically a class built around Distorted Real Impact from DMC. Never tried it in the first game but ragdoll physics adds a lot where you can just send a goblin flying 30 yards away.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phlegmish posted:

Does anyone know if 'Bunch of Flowers' can wilt? I hope not so I can stock up on them for when I find that special someone.

Yes. Keep them in storage until you're ready to use them since storage preserves items indefinitely in whatever their current state is (ripened, rotten, wilted, etc.)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Genuinely curious how many main quests and side quests are interconnected. I did a side quest in the Vermund capital that allowed for an alternate outcome in a main quest, and that outcome plus an optional interaction with an NPC added a side objective to an upcoming main quest. I could have done these in a different sequence and it would have meant missing this extra objective. Makes me wonder what I might have already missed out on since this was by chance.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Captain Oblivious posted:

What was it out of curiosity?

These are all spoilers for early-ish to mid game quests in the Vermund capital:

First I did a quest to help rescue a kid from some catacombs built next to/under the Gracious Hand building in the slums. That reveals an old library hidden under the building. Then one of the main quests for Brant is to visit a magistrate that Disa has imprisoned in the dungeons. He can't be convinced to escape (afaik) unless he has a nice place to hide out that will stimulate his mind.

You recommend the old library in the Gracious Hand catacombs so he follows you out of the dungeon. I assume it's totally possible for him to die here or be recaptured since I had to bust out a wall in a nearby cell to get him back to the slums. That part is almost beat-for-beat a mission from DD1.

Then I went to pay the magistrate a visit after following up with Brant (but before I did any of his other quests). That's when he mentioned that his glasses had been confiscated and put in a storage room inside the castle. He added that a masquerade would be held in that area and it's a good pretext to steal the glasses back for him. The masquerade is a main mission you get from Brant that afaik you can do in any order.

I haven't started the masquerade mission yet so hopefully I can get into the storage room while I'm inside the castle.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Everything about wandering around feels so dynamic even though a lot is probably scripted. Like you can see two different types of monsters fight each other and in the same moment be jumpscared when the shadow of a griffin flying overhead suddenly changes the lighting for an instant. That or you try to catch up with an oxcart but a griffin dive bombs it and suddenly everyone's desperately fighting it in a big melee.

Even moreso than the first game this belongs in the MGSV or BOTW "let's layer a bunch of systems on top of each other and see how they interact" design philosophy. It rules.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jimlit posted:

You can get a house!?

I'm so glad this gets introduced early in the game because inns are so drat expensive compared to DD1. Can't wait until I have enough disposable income for the house in the Noble Quarter.

I'm glad Drakes are as scary in this game as they were in DD1. I've found two so far (one might have been cursed?) and both times we got them to about half health or a little less and then the Drake said "you thought" and High Bolided us all to death over and over.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Found a quest with that big beastren Warrior badass in the first encampment but only came across it because I was going through that area at night and noticed a tiny area of the map I hadn't filled in. He was there and it initiated a questline that I assume progresses later on. Warrior and Fighter are definitely my favorite vocations so far. I unlocked Mystic Spearhand kinda randomly and only just recently found the spear weapon for it so I'll be trying that next.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm wondering if I'll ever reach a point where I'm not hard up for money. So far I've only sold valuables based on where the item description implies they're rare/valuable (onyx in Vermund, tiger eyes in the Elven territory, etc.). I haven't been to the beastren territory yet so I'm saving up all that jasper until then. Still it feels like as soon as I get even about 100k gold it's gone in a blink after getting my pawn better gear and weapons. Dark Arisen spoiled me with that DLC monocle that was worth like 300k.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Vermain posted:

the "easiest" way of getting gold is to repeatedly camp by the river in western vermund by the destroyed bridge to respawn the drakes to the south and to the north and kill them over and over. wyrmslife crystals sell for 1.5k per and you get about 10-15ish per drake kill, so you can easily fill your pockets if you're able to kill drakes efficiently

Guess I'll be broke for awhile because drakes have kicked my rear end on the rare occasions I've tried to fight them. I'm like level 32 or so now, maybe it'll go better next time. I should probably sell off some monster materials (at least ones I have a lot of) but my hoarder brain makes me obssess over whether or not I'll need them for upgrades later on.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

explosivo posted:

This is a bit disappointing to hear, honestly. Is like the entire main quest of the game you doing the jobs for the guy in the capital? I've been playing for ~12 hours and it's hard to tell if I'm barely through the intro or halfway (or more) through the entire game at this point.

Fwiw I've played for more than 40 hours and have only just gotten to the second region in the game. I guess it depends on how much the combat, exploration, and bumbling around for side quests appeals to you though.

I appreciate that going "huh what's over there?" can sometimes reward you heavily, like unlocking a vocation way earlier than it feels like you're supposed to.

I also think the story has been pretty engaging so far. It's way more coherent and interesting than DD1 which isn't a high bar to clear, but I think it does a good job of fleshing out the world and characters. It has a strong hook at the start and I like the angle of surreptitiously getting your ducks in a row in order to unseat a usurper and present a valid claim to the throne. It's a little generic but still neat.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Could you use wakestones to revive quest NPCs in DD1? I only just did it during the Death Do Us Part quest. Kinda panicked and was like "gently caress, the guy I came all this way to save just died" but then saw the revive prompt. It was awesome seeing a quest pop-up saying "this guy has died" followed by another that was basically "oh nevermind lol." I was really impressed by the forgery mechanic in DD1 for some of the ways you could double-complete quests or have other weird outcomes. Being able to revive dead NPCs mid-quest if you happen to have the right item onhand is another really fun mechanic for an RPG.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Leal posted:

Yeah they really could remove like a third of the spawns in the world. I had one battle where I ran into a troll. While fighting it goblins, those green goblins, harpies and wolves showed up during the fight. This stretched out so long that it became night and then skeletons and ghosts started showing up to the fight.

Imo Dragon's Dogma would be way more boring if it toned down this "no gently caress u" design. Most of what I like about the combat is that it's usually pure chaos where you can be fighting a cyclops and a pack of wolves but then a gryphon swoops in because it wanted to eat an ox because gently caress you. It's what makes the combat extra satisfying when your party goes full gank squad on everything.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

AndrewP posted:

the limited fast travel is starting to wear on me

actually it's not even the fast travel, it's the fact that I never have any camping packs and I'm constantly on the edge of over-encumbrance

I have my main pawn carry my camping kit and any materials I happened to pick up. You can still use a camping kit so long as one of the pawns in your party is carrying it. The easiest way to deal with inventory management is to have the pawns in your party carry anything they can't actually use (combinable materials, etc.) unless they have the chiurgeon specialization or whatever and you want them to have healing items onhand. Treat them like pack mules and you'll never be at risk of over-encumbrance. As far as I know this still works like DD1 where another player's pawn will automatically send anything they picked up in your game to your inventory when you dismiss them or they die.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 26, 2024

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack Trades posted:

Unlocked Mystic Sprearhand by just talking to a random dude in a shack in a side-quest town...what? He didn't even have anything interesting to say or even mention the fact that he's a trainer or something.

Same, and I unlocked another vocation in a similar way recently. Idk if the quests for those vocations are bugged or don't exist, but for some reason I thought all the advanced and hybrid vocations were unlocked by quests like Warrior and Sorcerer are.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Wild how some people have their pawns built. I wasn't paying close enough attention and hired a mage that was at max vocation but with no staff equipped so all she did was throw punches lol. I didn't realize this until I was halfway through an extensive cave network for a side quest, and afterwards I ended up fighting a gryphon, ogre, wolves, and hobgoblins all at once. Took a lot of healing items but we managed it and I couldn't get rid of that pawn fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Sloober posted:

i feel like there's something weird about pawn saving that some things dont go through, like you change your pawn's job and it autosaved that you changed its job but it doesnt do it again until you've rested at an inn, so in the interim your pawn may not be geared or have skills on. there's enough of this that i think that's a game issue rather than a person issue. whenever i change pawn jobs i gear it up/skill it up and rest at a house because of that thought

This didn't occur to me since I learned how updating your pawn works in the first game, but I bet you're right.