Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Jack B Nimble posted:

Will the bow require shooter style aiming or does it support lock on style combat? Or both? I'm not personally a fan of shooting with a controller, but I definitely want to play a third person action game with one. This is sort of the problem I have with GTA and CP2077, where I want keyboard and mouse on foot and a game pad in a vehicle.

You can use both in those games. Just pick up the controller when you need to.

Going by the first game, this one is most definitely best played with controller. If you're an archer you'll shoot, but it won't be constant challenging shots that you need to line up in a split second.

Captain Foo posted:

The description of mystic spearhand sounds badass

Yeah I played a plain Fighter in the first game, could be fun but definitely not too exciting. Mystic Spearhand is what I'd like to transition to most in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I bought it off a key shop not knowing that they wouldn't give me the key until release day.

I want to see it sitting ready in my library dammit!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

just realized i hosed up and made a male hero. I ain't lookin at manass for forty hours

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

think i might do goku as my main and his pawn, vegeta

they've got the two perfect hairstyles for it, that's for sure

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Maybe this time I'll really try to do that cool partner skill where the fighter (I think) tosses someone into the air

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

character creator is great except is needs about... 100 more hairstyles

I fiddled with the settings for ages and couldn't manage to make a female character look... anything less than slightly off.

The male character was much easier.

I was wondering, are the face presets your choose just that, or do they add some factors that can't be changed with the sliders?

And yeah, needs more hairstyles, beard styles, and tattoos.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I got the best friend lady. Forgot her name. Erin maybe?

No clue what I did to make that happen besides rescuing her in the woods early in the game (which was a massive pain in the rear end because I was underleveled and the stronger bandits could kill me and my pawns in one hit), and maybe doing her guide quest to take her somewhere.

At the time I was hoping for Mercedes but she went home as a result of some choices I made. Didn't know the jester was an option or I would've gone for that, hilarious

Saxophone posted:

On the one hand I’d really like to play this today. On the other I bought my PC like two years ago and it sounds like it’s gonna be chugging if I try to run it on there instead of my PS5

What CPU and gpu do you have?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Saxophone posted:

I7-11700 @ 2.5 GHZ
32 gigs of ram
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

Way better than ps5, without a doubt. Depending on resolution and settings you should be able to get an average around 60 fps vs an average of 30 for ps5.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

So apparently total weight of your character does determine some things. Higher weight means you can carry more in your inventory, and vice versa. Lower weight means your stamina recovers more quickly, and vice versa.

Oh, and according to the release times it'll be coming 5 PM today on the west coast US. I hope whatever janky key shop I bought the code from makes it available to me then.

https://www.ign.com/articles/dragons-dogma-2-global-release-times-confirmed

Khanstant posted:

The last several games I played that had horrible performance ran great on my machine despite people insisting that no, it was impossible, the game runs poorly for everyone here's some goober chart to disprove your lived experience, and that really sucks for their assmar but not mine.

That's generally my experience, especially since I play at 1080p with a locked vsync 60 fps. Most games run really well with some notable exceptions (Star Wars Jedi Survivor which by all accounts was an absolute loving disaster for literally everyone and they never fixed it).

I'm slightly concerned about this one though. I've got a quite old i7-8700k, and unfortunately that's about the best CPU my motherboard can run. I will be upgrading my board and CPU soonish, just hoping that I'm able to play this comfortably and it stays around 60 fps. I think I can get there, if necessary by tweaking some settings.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tarezax posted:

I have the same processor and from what I can tell from the PCgamer benchmarks the game will have no issues hitting 60 fps out of town but will probably drop to 30-ish average FPS in town

Honestly that's probably fine, as long as it's not frequently plunging and then rising back up. Lower fps isn't a big deal, big loving stutters definitely are though.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yes, that's the official line. But absolutely nothing I've seen in my 25 hours is so next level poo poo that mere mortal computers just can't handle it.

I mean that line is definitely true according to the testing. It is CPU limited. Whether they optimized that aspect as well as they could've, well probably not.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That is not what I was hoping to hear. Jedi Survivor had so much loving stuttering I eventually quit the game

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Hmm on the other hand I feel like I cheat away inventory weight in games that have it the first time I have to weight manage and it's not contributing to a game loop I enjoy. Hard to pass up stamina increases in any case, Zelda and darks souls I go all in on endurance until I don't have to worry about the green meters anymore.

Yeah I think I'll just go somewhere in the middle. Inventory management was a reasonably large pain in the first game, running out constantly is not fun. But stamina is all important in battle. There are useables that restore stamina, thankfully and if it's like the first game you'll eventually have a lot of that. Also, armor feeds into carry weight so if you want to wear really strong, heavy armor a heavier weight is probably better.

I'll probably make my pawn pretty large, they can be my beast of burden.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

madfury posted:

I couldnt really go through ever post. Anyone already got their key from GMG? Am I the last guy on the planet to get mah game or is it normal that keys dont go out before the release?

Waiting on mine from CDKeys.com. Bit concerned since it says it'll be available March 22, but in my region the game comes out this evening at 5 PM. Gonna be v sad if I can't play today.

Tenacious J posted:

I don't know much about much, but are these performance issues things that can likely be fixed with patches?

maybe yes, maybe no. Literally impossible to know for sure. Most games I would say do improve significantly. The extent to which they fixed Cyberpunk was truly extraordinary, it ended up being probably the most impressive looking and playing game in history even on not great hardware.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor literally never fixed its frame drops and stuttering. They tried for a while and then Respawn completely gave up, which I thought was pretty pathetic.

acksplode posted:

MH World is not on RE engine. Both those games have big environments, if RE engine had limitations around large populated environments they'd be apparent on Rise.

The fidelity of the graphics in Rise as well as the size of the arenas really can't be compared to something like DD2. Imagining this game trying to run on Switch like that one did is actually hilarious, that could never happen. The Steam Deck can't even handle this game and I bet Rise runs just fine on it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

I know it sucks, but I think Capcom is just going to have to patch out the feature where every npc is constantly evaluating whether they can castrate every other npc.

Sorry but no, that cannot happen (for stimpire reasons)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It was improved a lot from release, at least on PC. At release, there was literally nothing I could do to achieve 60fps in some areas (like the starting Coruscant) - even at 1080p and everything Low, it would still be like 50fps. After the various patches, I can easily get 80-90 at 4k, and 120 with framegen (though Jedi Survivor's framegen adds a weird shimmer to things that I don't like).

edit: Like it still has big issues, but it's significantly better than it was at release

I'm sure that's true, but I got the game way after release and while average framerate was at least okay, the stuttering was completely ludicrous. Every time it happens it just instantly takes you out of the experience. Feels cheap, lovely, and even makes some people feel ill. No setting did a single thing to help.

Khanstant posted:

If denuvo were clever they'd make the download shared versions have denuvo but paying customers get the clean version.

If there is a single copy of any game anywhere that is given to the public without Denuvo, it'll be instantly pirated. This recently happened with Lies of P, the developer (accidentally it seems) uploaded a version to steam for a patch that didn't have Denuvo and now it's available to torrent. They probably didn't lose that much from it though, if someone was going to buy the game they likely already would've a while ago.

In fact, I'd suggest that all games after a year or so should remove Denuvo. Who cares at that point.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Vermain posted:

i believe most of them do, since it's a subscription service and is generally only worth the cash for the opening few months where 90% of your sales are made

They sometimes do, but many never do. Still plenty of older games on Steam that have never been cracked because of it. Especially from big companies like EA and Ubisoft.

In case anyone got the game from CDKeys:

https://twitter.com/cdkeyscom_en/status/1770833770599404022

So, maybe not at 5 sharp but this translates to 5 to 6 pm PST, or within the next two hours.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Urghh god drat this key shop I curse them, I curse them and their entire bloodline until time itself ends

Internet Explorer posted:

i keep installing and then uninstalling the character creator to keep my internet warmed up

drat bro thats next level

Play
Apr 25, 2006

yess I got it.

then realized its gonna take like an hour to install. Wish I could perfect my characters but I think that shuts down the downloads right?

Thumbtacks posted:

Pawn is probably going to be a mage like he was in the first game, if the mage support skills are as good or even better he’s going to be invaluable.

Yeah I got a big fluffy old tiger boy mage

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Can you start as a Warrior in this one? I think you can only do Fighter, Thief, Archer and Mage to start and the other ones become available at a certain level.

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah my only concerns would be if they make it a pain in the rear end to get a full-character re-customization items like in MonHun, or if the portcrystals are super limited like they were pre-dark-arisen

I don't think there are any full character re-customization except for hairstyles but I could be wrong.

Portcrystals are insanely rare, you will probably only get a few in a playthrough. I assume you're talking about ferrystones though. Those are insanely rare too.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I'm outdoors now, and it's actually a bit better for some reason, 60-70 FPS. Default settings except image quality maxed out, on an RTX 3070/i5-12600k.

bold move, let's just keep an eye out for rain as it could really damage your pc

Shyrka posted:

This game did not just start with a quote from someone named Honore de Balzac.

Who is apparently a real person.

Learned about that dude in high school you philistine.

Don't remember WHAT I learned about him but I think hes french

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Vitamean posted:

rushed through the opening cutscenes to get a feel for the performance, and it runs well enough for me.

so uh, quick question: how do I delete this save file? lol

I think someone said you have to delete your cloud save through steam or something? Don't quote e on that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

God dammit so close.... ten minutes left

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I have a place your shaders can compile. INSIDE MY rear end in a top hat!!!!

Mustang posted:

How do you delete your save on PC? Baffling that this isn't possible inside the game.

https://www.godisageek.com/2024/03/...%20to%20delete.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mustang posted:

Tried this and doesn't seem to work.

Why did they make this so difficult?

Sorry about that. You might need to delete the cloud saves as well, you can search for some methods

Shard posted:

My lady is a tad tall. I love her

Can she step on me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lmao at the toasty black face in the flashback

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Had a great time playing last night. It's far from perfect but man, it is so goddamn Dragons Dogma (by the way looked up what he's called in Japan to see if it had a different name but it's just Doragonzu Doguma which I humbly propose should replace the English name in the thread title).

Performance is what people were saying. Looks okay, I'm getting a locked sixty in the wilderness and thirty to forty in town with picture quality on max and every setting on high, no ray tracing. The VRAM warning can safely be ignored, as reported its the CPU, my GPU didn't even work particularly hard. They need to fix the performance in town, frankly, I'm not letting them slide on that but it's been completely playable. Also, I'm not getting big stutters. It's a relatively smooth drop and it stays stable around thirty to forty in town.

Playing as a Thief for the first time (well I guess it's a new class but all I played in the first one was fighter). Really enjoying their tools, extremely happy with that choice. Combat is really really fun, ALTHOUGH I am finding it a bit easy. I've died all of one time after falling off a cliff, and I've amassed a massive pool of health items already straining my inventory.

To be fair I did run away from a minitaur without fighting it because I decided my squad wasn't ready, but mostly I've just been stomping. Maybe I should push into higher level areas.

The music and world design is superb, the quest system is extremely this game which is great, overall loving it despite it's weaknesses, just like the first game I guess.

E: one more criticism: I really, really wish there was an FOV slider. The camera is too drat close.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Fighting Elegy posted:

How's the story/world building/context and open world stuff for this adventure?

I want to play it but I'm looking for a game I can play with my partner and she has an issue with Souls games. Talking to her it seems like the problem is that the game just feels like a giant dungeon to her, with opportunities to level up and environmental storytelling but thats it. Her favorite RPG games are Fallout New Vegas and The Witcher 3, which give you a lot of interesting story and a world you can feel immersed in.

Do you get to feel like you're part of a bigger story in this? Or is it more just like you're leveling up to fight the biggest baddest thing in the land and win? Or is it both?

I love Capcom too much to pass this game up, so basically this will decide if I try to force the game on my partner tonight or if I just play it on my own sometime in a few months.

This is way more like Fallout than Dark Souls, in terms of gameplay I'd say. The combat isn't that hard assuming you are decently leveled.

The story is there, it's okay, it guides you along and there are some good moments, but it's not some grand story with a bunch of cutscenes. Vast majority of the time will be spent adventuring and exploring and kind of creating your own stories. In terms of storytelling it's closer to dark souls but a lot more involved, and yeah the world is kind of a massive dungeon. Honestly doesn't sound like she has a terrible read on the game. Story and quests are there to spur you on into different areas, and a lot of the time there's not a lot to them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm getting thirty to forty in the big city on a very old i7-8700k. Didn't turn DLSS on since it didn't seem necessary, but I don't think that's what is helping. If it's truly CPU calculations then DLSS would make no difference, I think?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Something about my character, either their knee and elbow angle or their posture, looks so wrong when they're running. Gotta get me a metamorphosis stone

Play
Apr 25, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

the human female running/walking animations are just really weird i think, it wouldn't surprise me if it's an issue with the other characters too

Yeah that's part of it but I think I gave her max 'female' angle in elbow and knee and it looks ridiculous. Character creator only showed walking, not running which is a bit silly

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Horace Kinch posted:

So I heard DD2 is super unoptimized. Confirm/deny? Iffy about pulling the trigger on this. Not sure how much of the negativity I'm seeing elsewhere is exaggerated nerdrage or legitimate grievances.

Confirm. It's very playable but the framerate goes down significantly for pretty much everyone in the big cities. How much depends on your hardware but it's CPU related so if you have a new CPU with a lot of threads and cores you'll be doing better than me with my old i7, where I'm getting thirty to forty at 1080p

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Owl Inspector posted:

Yeah this is super weird honestly

It's not that weird. You put on a piece of armor to get the benefits of it, then it exists in reality. The weird thing is games that let you wear super massive demon armor but also your 1000 year old dragon girl main character shows they're wearing lingerie

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Thems some sturdy panties, holding up that huge lantern as they are

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Can I safely sell these jewels like Jasper and Tiger Eye, or do they have some kind of use?

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I didn't hesitate to sell mine because I needed money for sweet gear but definitely curious about this.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Thursday Next posted:

Sorry if this was already answered but I can't find this online because Google is convinced I'm not using correct search terms. Keeps insisting I mean DD1 or monster respawn.

Do chests respawn with randomized loot like in DD1?

I've already seen cool monster respawn, and difficulty changes, and collectables respawn. But chests haven't come back yet and I'm really sad about that. I loved finding random stuff in dungeons - gave me a reason to go back to places.

I don't remember that being a thing in dd1, pretty sure chests are always cashed after you first open them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Do lizardmen have any particular weakness other than having their tails slashed? It feels like they have a buttload of HP and I can't find a spells that's particularly effective against them.

Cold. Which makes sense. Or would make sense if they didn't primarily live in caves.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Eat lots of berries? Half my weight is in apples right now and I had to stop turning them into brews so I don't become too heavy to keep going.

Anyway, is there any way to alter what's on your item quick menu? Down on the d-pad is your stamina restoration item I guess but it wants me to eat my precious princess potatoes and not the regular garbage ones and I don't want to accidentally waste it. Furthermore: I'm not a huge fan that you can't see how long you have left on your items before they decay. Or that my pawns sometimes just stop following me so wolves can jump my rear end while they stand around congratulating one another on the apples they just found.

I had no idea there were item shortcuts. Is up health then?

Nuebot posted:

Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong, climbing on enemies kind of sucks now? Pretty much any time they move you get locked into a really long "grab hold so you don't fly off" animation that consumes like half of my stamina and also you can't just jump off of them during this animation, so if they do that while I'm at half stamina I get to just fall off and take most of my health in damage then get hit and die. Also it takes most of my stamina just to reach the head of a cyclops or whatever.

EDIT: also I just noticed this game is doing a darksouls loving thing. Every time I "load from last save" my health is lower and lower. Lmao that's awful.

Press rt (or whatever grab is for you) again to release your hold, sometimes that is necessary.

I haven't had any issues climbing, but it could be related to class and armor as well. I'm playing a thief which probably has better stamina than a huge fighter or warrior. Also, if you want to stay grabbed on longer just use a stamina item to recoup so you can stay on there.

explosivo posted:

I'm loving Ensnare on the thief, so much fun yanking the legs of an off balance giant to cause it to fall over.

Also I swapped RB and LB and for some reason I'm having such a better time with the controls this way. No idea why my brain couldn't deal with LB being the special attack modifier but swapping those two has been perfect.

Ensnare and it's upgrade is so good, both for small monsters (especially harpies of course) and big ones. Small ones instantly get knocked over and you can just wail on them. Also helm splitter. Helm splitter is loving crazy good, especially with elemental on it, literally just melts health bars so fast.

Zodack posted:

That's good confirmation I guess, serves to make me more paranoid but I've absolutely had NPCs go "Arisen, I'm worried about this thing. Maybe you could look at it?" and I check my quest log and nothing. Could be the quest is picked up at a different point but the timer still runs? Feels pretty Dragon's Dogma

I think those are like tertiary quest information people, sometimes you need to find the actual quest giver maybe?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

404notfound posted:

Anyone have trouble with the Arisen's Shadow quest? I chased down the guy, refused the bribe, and killed him. I thought there'd be a quest update, but after looking it up online, it sounds like Brant was supposed to come in and stop the fight, except that never happened and he's lying dead on the ground now. Do I have to use a wakestone on him now to continue the quest?

I would give that a try, yes. Luckily I was trying to capture him and kind of beat him up a bit then grabbed him. Can't kill a good source of information. But if you did I would use a Wakestone, I've collected plenty anyways

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Just came across two women brutally bitchslapping each other across the central square. Sprays of blood and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tried picking them up but the other one just keeps following me forever. A fight to the death apparently