Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
being punctual is
totally radical
tubular
bad rear end
cool
mid
grody
square
lame
#fail
GOKU
View Results

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It was brought to my attention that we need a megathread on being punctual to fight about being timely in, so I'm doing my solemn forums duty by making one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
voted for everything :cabot:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Eh I'll read the thread later at 3pm et and maybe make a post.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my culture values being on time highly, and i follow those cultural norms and am annoyed when others do not. howvere, i am simultaneiously jealous of the people who have been freed from the shackles of punctuality, and aspire to join them

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
hurry hurry hurry hurry dont be late hurry hurry hurry

gently caress YOU

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Little late with this idea, aren't you?

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
I can't believe u were late for this meeting Brian. Im your boss. Thats so disrespectful. Don't you love me anymore?

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Does the militant punctuality we cultivated here at ShitJob Inc mean nothing to you?? Was it all a lie?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

weg posted:

Little late with this idea, aren't you?

:argh:

meet me in the parking lot after school, come whenever it's convenient for you

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I've had friends who were always late for things so we'd tell them an earlier time then everyone else so they would show up on time

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If you're only 5 minutes early, you're 10 minutes late :smug:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

The food is safe to eat, because time is an imaginary social construct *shits pants*

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i work for a company that is a subsidiary of a german parent. theyve got subsidiaries in a bunch of countries. here in the canadian office, we do a bunch of business with the mexican office. when germany sets up meetings between them/us and mexico, they know to schedule the start of the meeting 15-30 minutes before when they want it to really start. lol. im not even joking

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Early is on time
On time is late
Late is unacceptable

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i work for a company that is a subsidiary of a german parent. theyve got subsidiaries in a bunch of countries. here in the canadian office, we do a bunch of business with the mexican office. when germany sets up meetings between them/us and mexico, they know to schedule the start of the meeting 15-30 minutes before when they want it to really start. lol. im not even joking

Lmfao

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

i have murdered, with malice, at least 2 alarm clocks in my lifetime. one i smashed against the wall until it stopped screaming at me, the other i squeezed until it cracked and whimpered and died.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Weird how the people who argue against time and punctuality are never early and never introspect on that. Mysterious stuff!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Weird how the people who argue against time and punctuality are never early and never introspect on that. Mysterious stuff!

i am terminally 15 minutes early to everything and give zero shits about other people’s punctuality because that’s some psycho poo poo to care about

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'm always punctual when it comes to poo poo posting always right in time

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Smugworth posted:

Early is on time
On time is late
Late is unacceptable

got time to lean? then you got time to clean. stop chatting with your coworkers.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

i gotta drive my mom to the eye doctor today and she likes to get there a few minutes early so she see if they have any new magazines in the waiting room

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Toxic Mental posted:

got time to lean? then you got time to clean.

nothing gets me in the mood shove someone into a wood chipper like this phrase.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m a responsible adult op

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

i'm off the clock, permanently

look upon my balls, ye mighty
it's dis pair

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

It's really easy, just give yourself plenty of time to prepare and a couple extra minutes in case of traffic and you should have no problem being on time with no stress.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_time

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

dee eight posted:

i'm off the clock, permanently

look upon my balls, ye mighty
it's dis pair

swinging pendulously with the wisdom of the ages. knocking like a metronome, but only ironically

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
So I am chronically late to everything to the point I've been pulled up by my boss about it but it's never more than like, 5 minutes, 10 at a push. It's my job so whatever I'll come in on time now but uuuugh how do people tolerate wasting minutes of their lives being at work before actually working. I take things right to the edge because the thought of wasting my life on the dumb bit before doing what I'm supposed to do annoys me a bunch.

"Your time is no more valuable than anyone else's" is the thing and being a good person in general means being respectable enough to make people not waste their time waiting for you but when it comes to my job it's really not like the building is gonna fall down you know? Being a paramedic is stressful man

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm seeing a movie before my swing shift. Might be late to work. Feels punctual to me.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im on time to work maybe 50% of the time because it doesnt matter and no one cares lol

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

enclosure is for peasants

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Can't be late if you don't have a set work start time

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I can only afford a sun dial and i dont know how it works. I blame this for most of my problems

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

im on time to work maybe 50% of the time because it doesnt matter and no one cares lol

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry I'm late to the thread everyone, the line at Starbucks was really long and well, you know how I need my iced coffee

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The only thing I like to be late for is showing up for work. I make up for it by leaving early though.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
everyone knew that that one guy who was consistently on time for things and how much that ruined everything like jesus christ it just caused so many problems like uhhh and ummmmm

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

dreezy posted:

everyone knew that that one guy who was consistently on time for things and how much that ruined everything like jesus christ it just caused so many problems like uhhh and ummmmm

Those people are invariably the one person you don't want to be trapped in a one on one conversation with for longer than necessary

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I believe this is the post that inspired the need for a timelyness megathread to fight in.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

again with the making people wait for you strawman.

You can allow yourself in your daily routine to be liberated from the concept of timeliness without "imposing" anything on anybody else.

What are these "meetings" of which you speak? From past experience in the horologically enslaved world under Corpo I know that there are types of work setups that only function with synchronized facetime and meetings all the time. So I don't institute such work setups in my small but successful organization.

Everybody you interact with can in principle just share their thoughts asynchronously via emails or in a slack channel or whatever. Raise issues through there. Only if exceptions arise of immense importance threatening to bring down the show do you need to ever hit the call button which is an imposition, a demand for your attention, disrupting whatever you're presently doing. The assumption is that it must be pretty urgent and it's the yellow button next to the nuclear option.

But even for those rare situations our rule is to only let the call chime ring for a few seconds. Enough so that if you're within earshot you know someone wants a realtime conversation and the assumption is that it must be pretty urgent. So I respond to that within a few minutes usually. Take a piss first or get a coffee from the machine and check my appearance before I sit down ready to be on voice and/or camera. The other party wants my attention, and now I'm comfortable and focused and ready to have that conversation. Go.

I suspect that most work-from-home orgs could adopt these principles if they wanted to. Obviously not applicable for a worksite with lots of realtime orchestration and micro-coordination. And that's not the kind of work that I do or care to be involved with.

But to answer the question you keep bringing up, of course I show up on time if we have agreed on a meeting. My phone has a google calendar chime thing. I do know what a schedule is and if I have to take like a flight or something of course I can't expect them to wait for me. But this happens so rarely, like a few times a month, so that I can mentally switch, temporarily, from our civilized and gentle "island time" to the barbary which is the "city time" world of the horologically enslaved, emissaries from which we mustn't disappoint by letting them waste precious expensive seconds of their so-efficiently packed schedules.

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 14, 2024