Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
being punctual is
totally radical
tubular
bad rear end
cool
mid
grody
square
lame
#fail
GOKU
View Results

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

I believe this is the post that inpored the need for a timelyness megathread to fight in.

it started earlier than that with worf captaining the "timleyness = good" faction but yes that post was the final straw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I believe this is the post that inpored the need for a timelyness megathread to fight in.

their ability to take a piss, eat a snack and fix their hair within three rings is why they are the head of a major minor corporation

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I wish I knew wtf inpored meant. fixed that.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Being on time is the one thing I am super anal-retentive about. Like I get mad at myself if I'm running 3 minutes late. If I have to be somewhere in half an hour I'll give myself 40 minutes at least.

The worst part is that I some times project my expectations on other people. I've done a few job interviews where one candidate showed up 10 minutes late. I'm thinking, "You should have been here 10 minutes early." The person that showed up 5 minutes early, and was equally qualified, got the job.

It runs in the family too. My brother has done lots of commercial electrician work, and has had to supervise numerous installations. He's fired multiple people that showed up 10 minutes late with no proper excuse (like a flat tire, etc). "Leave now and you will get a check in the mail for the two days you did work."

I'll give a fair shake to anyone that has a legit reason for being late... my grandmother died last night, my child had to be taken to the hospital. Of course, no problem; but tell me you were just running a bit late that day and you get on the poo poo-list.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Internetjack posted:

I'll give a fair shake to anyone that has a legit reason for being late... my grandmother died last night, my child had to be taken to the hospital. Of course, no problem; but tell me you were just running a bit late that day and you get on the poo poo-list.

You definitely make them produce a death certificate/doctor's note.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Come early and leave em wanting more, that’s what I always say

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the fuckin thread is 2 doors down, this is the timelyness thread.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

In like 25+ years of working I’ve only been late once and it was because a tornado literally formed right over me and I had to take shelter. All my projects are always ahead of schedule or right at.

I don’t even mean to be on time or care, I just … am????

I don’t care if people are late I totally understand. Lmao all this though.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
5 minutes ahead of time is early enough, if you expect any more than that get fuckkkkkt

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Revins posted:

5 minutes ahead of time is early enough, if you expect any more than that get fuckkkkkt

it's rude to show up too early anyway

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it's rude to show up too early anyway

Smugworth posted:

Too early is early
Early is on time
On time is late
Late is unacceptable

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Super punctuality and time awareness is one of my (many) super powers. It's like I got a clock in my soul and I can feel it.

I could go on at length.

But as it comes to punctuality, it's just respect. For others and yourself. But it's also kinda rude to be too early.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Grey Cat posted:

Eh I'll read the thread later at 3pm et and maybe make a post.

Meh, I'm a few minutes late I guess. Who cares?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Revins posted:

i consider being 5 minutes early a buffer zone so if i would have been a few minutes late for some reason it will still be fine

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i loving love being on time. i will arrive 10 minutes early and happily sit and wait. if you are chronically late then gently caress you butthole, start valuing other peoples time ffs :mad:

edit: work doesn't count, be as late for work as you want

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 15, 2024

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

crazy idea but what if punctuality is context and situation dependent

like if I tell you the party starts at 7 and you're there at 6:55 I might think you're bit weird, but if I hire you for a gig and you show up five minutes before we start playing I'm not going to hire you again

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Context always matters. But what also matters is what's in your heart, and in your heart alone. You said you'd be there at 7. Will you be?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

redshirt posted:

Super punctuality and time awareness is one of my (many) super powers. It's like I got a clock in my soul and I can feel it.

I could go on at length.

But as it comes to punctuality, it's just respect. For others and yourself. But it's also kinda rude to be too early.

i have been able to wake up within 2-3 minutes of my alarm clock for a long time now. i have no fuckin clue. a work-related "hard" wake up (5:00am) would come up about 2-3 times a month for me, and I'd wake up, look at my phone and it would be 4:58 or whatever.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

20 Blunts posted:

i have been able to wake up within 2-3 minutes of my alarm clock for a long time now. i have no fuckin clue. a work-related "hard" wake up (5:00am) would come up about 2-3 times a month for me, and I'd wake up, look at my phone and it would be 4:58 or whatever.

This.

I know there are others out there with our gift/curse.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Posting right on time.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I actually post 10 minutes before I'm meant to post. Better too early than too late.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i never show up to work on time, i come in later and stay later, always have for nearly 20 years

but it’s self-directed office work and it’s not like i miss meetings. if anything i think it helps because people know i’m there late and i get praised for staying late in my annual feedback often.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I like to knock off early and sink a few jars down at the boozer with a few legends

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I like to think my super punctuality has helped me get ahead. Folks know they can count on me.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

:synpa:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's a few keys to being punctual:

- Things almost always take longer than you think they will.
- Plan in delays based on day, time of day, direction of travel, etc.
- Set alarms on your phone. All kinds of alarms for many things.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My extended family always arrives to events extremely early. They were once invited to a wedding of a couple from Ghana. They were told it starts at noon and all showed up at like 11:00am. The wedding party hasn't even started getting ready yet and a lot of decorations still had to be put up. The family from Ghana was like, oh poo poo... They had forgotten the issue of telling the white folks a specific start time. The wedding ended up starting at like 3:00pm.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My company pays in 15 minute increments, rounded to the nearest quarter hour. Basically, 7:07 = 7:00 but 7:08 = 7:15 etc in terms of pay. We used to write people up for being late as little as 1 minute. A couple years ago our corporate overlords changed the policy so that you could not be punished for any tardiness less that 8 minutes. In other words, going by the company handbook it was now impossible to “steal time” so to speak. Watching the gears turn in my boss’s head trying to figure out ways to otherwise punish people but coming up empty was really enjoyable for me. The only thing he came up with was to schedule a shift meeting at 7, then write people up for being late to the meeting. HR immediately said “nah, gently caress you” top that. It was great.

I am extremely anal about being punctual to things. My wife on the other hand, is late for absolutely everything. It’s loving infuriating to me.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

redshirt posted:

I like to think my super punctuality has helped me get ahead. Folks know they can count on me.

I completely agree with the concept of “gently caress your punctuality rules mr employer” but good god this is a big deal for me. You can gently caress the boss over all you want but don’t gently caress over your coworkers.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

My extended family always arrives to events extremely early. They were once invited to a wedding of a couple from Ghana. They were told it starts at noon and all showed up at like 11:00am. The wedding party hasn't even started getting ready yet and a lot of decorations still had to be put up. The family from Ghana was like, oh poo poo... They had forgotten the issue of telling the white folks a specific start time. The wedding ended up starting at like 3:00pm.

Oof that's way, way worse than showing up late.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

HR immediately said “nah, gently caress you” top that. It was great.

Top that, top that
You can give all that you can, but you will never top that

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
like a cat, i can move sideways thru time

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Thesaurus posted:

As a midwesterner whos lived in west africa i feel this.

My midwestern family is always the first in for everything. Theyre just planners, pragmatic people.

By the time an "event" arrives theyve mostly considered all possible eventualities and just arrive early because theyre looking forward to it. It can be a little annoying if youre the type that wants everything "just so" before say, Christmas Dinner. But, theyre also not the type to be impressed by some grand reveal and are just happy to see everyone and help out.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Punctuality in west africa also operates on a spectrum. Schools are pretty rigid. Casual catch ups arent as much.

I used to organize school board meetings for 18h00 and we usually werent moving until 18h40 at earliest but thats fine. Village life is what it is.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

My company pays in 15 minute increments, rounded to the nearest quarter hour. Basically, 7:07 = 7:00 but 7:08 = 7:15 etc in terms of pay. We used to write people up for being late as little as 1 minute. A couple years ago our corporate overlords changed the policy so that you could not be punished for any tardiness less that 8 minutes. In other words, going by the company handbook it was now impossible to “steal time” so to speak. Watching the gears turn in my boss’s head trying to figure out ways to otherwise punish people but coming up empty was really enjoyable for me. The only thing he came up with was to schedule a shift meeting at 7, then write people up for being late to the meeting. HR immediately said “nah, gently caress you” top that. It was great.

I am extremely anal about being punctual to things. My wife on the other hand, is late for absolutely everything. It’s loving infuriating to me.

I never understood the company mindset of trying to punish your workers for every little infraction. If they're rolling in a little late, but they're still showing up every day and doing a decent job then let 'em be. Good employees are hard to find and harder to retain.

Also big lmfao that the new tactic was to schedule a(probably unnecessary) meeting to force compliance.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ah, 10:38 right on the dot.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
anyone who has ever texted "IM 5 MINUTES OUT" was lying.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The people who show up to a movie after the lights are out and want to scooch down an entire aisle instead of taking the first available seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My mom & I are both on time to everything. Like, say I'm meeting someone at 3 for any given reason (not a party). If it's 2:50 and I'm like, exactly ten minutes away, I will text that person that I'm running a little late. If I get there at 3:05, I will apologize. If the other person gets there at 3:15 or later without letting me know that they're running late at any time before 3, I don't judge them or anything but I am secretly kind of annoyed.

Internetjack posted:

Being on time is the one thing I am super anal-retentive about. Like I get mad at myself if I'm running 3 minutes late. If I have to be somewhere in half an hour I'll give myself 40 minutes at least.

:hmmyes:

the fuckin thread is 2 doors down, this is the timelyness thread.

Not 3? Being late is my kryptonite.

Thesaurus posted:

My extended family always arrives to events extremely early. They were once invited to a wedding of a couple from Ghana. They were told it starts at noon and all showed up at like 11:00am.

Holy poo poo, that's rude.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 15, 2024