Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Can you get mozzarella on karma or are those the only 4 toppings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
You can have some Karmamata olives if you're good :v:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

isaboo posted:

You can have some Karmamata olives if you're good :v:

Nice that's my favorite fruit

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

karma karma karma karma karma chameleon

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

You might want to edit that the mods have been banning for that

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
If you have bad karma you'll be reincarnated as a redditor

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
An SA mod's karma has got to be some wild poo poo to lug around and look forward to. Those karmic rap sheets can be hefty.

I mean we're all goons for a reason but my gosh

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

People saying appies

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I will be uncomfortable most of the year because my limbs, especially feet, have poor circulation. Winter is way too cold and I can bundle up as much as possible and still be cold. Summer is way too hot and I can be nude and still sweat bullets. I just wanna be in Spring and Fall year 'round. :(

Atleast this year hasn't been as bad as most, so far.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

isaboo posted:

Accumulated- inherited from past lifetimes

Hmm, I have memories of some English football manager saying out loud that the reason some people were in wheelchairs was because of bad stuff they did in previous lives. Is that this kind or one of the other kinds?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

isaboo posted:

Accumulated- inherited from past lifetimes

Alloted - bits of Accumulated karma that you carry in this life. This shapes your current circumstances.

Future Actionable- created from actions you currently do in this life. It has consequences in future lives.

Presently Actionable- your actions and their immediate results.

What drek

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

No. 6 posted:

What drek

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 17, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Okay but can I get a forward on my karma so I can do rad in this life and suffer in the next? Cause I'll loving do it, I ain't scared.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Sex Farm posted:

People saying eppies

Ftfm

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

on a long enough timeline, all of us will turn on our monitors

The Bible
May 8, 2010

isaboo posted:

Alloted - bits of Accumulated karma that you carry in this life. This shapes your current circumstances.

There are entire countries full of people who did poorly in past lives. What are the odds?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

The Bible posted:

There are entire countries full of people who did poorly in past lives. What are the odds?

pretty good, apparently

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Email is the most complex office tool that professionals can be expected to handle. All the rest is extra and folks mess up salesforce, highspot, ERP, excel, word, powerpoint, teams, and any whiteboarding stuff on the regular.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Those poor people must deserve it in some magical mystical way :allears:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Possibly have it reversed, being human at all is an incredible opportunity and means you already have worked up a ton of mega karma.

If you blow it this time around by being a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat you end up having to start over as like a slug, and if you end up as a rich jackass who acts like a piece of poo poo that's practically mega blowing it you have to start over in ultra hell

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Nice fairy story to keep people subservient. Generate good karma by remaining motionless with your eyes closed as often as you can while we do what we want with the earths resources. Blah blah blah hell realms blah blah blah reincarnated as a hungry ghost yadda yadda yadda everything is suffering so don’t even try to enjoy your life beyond spreading our gospel.

Oh did you know that you everyone you’ve ever cared about is going to suffer for limitless time unless they also become a Buddhist and live exactly how we tell you? *Heart emoji*

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 18, 2024

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Idk, the Buddhist thing about desire being bad rings pretty true to me

let a man walk alone, let him commit no sin, with few wishes, like an elephant in the forest

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Nice fairy story to keep people subservient. Generate good karma by remaining motionless with your eyes closed as often as you can while we do what we want with the earths resources. Blah blah blah hell realms blah blah blah reincarnated as a hungry ghost yadda yadda yadda everything is suffering so don’t even try to enjoy your life beyond spreading our gospel.

Oh did you know that you everyone you’ve ever cared about is going to suffer for limitless time unless they also become a Buddhist and live exactly how we tell you? *Heart emoji*

drat... never looked at it that way before...........

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Minotaurus Rex posted:

someone's not escaping the cycle of death and rebirth this time round :rolleyes:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Time_pants posted:

That this is the new "Truths people don't wanna hear and aren't ready for" thread.

That the "Truths people don't wanna hear and aren't ready for" thread is the new "Post Your Personally Held Milquetoast Opinion or Very Cute Baby Chicks" thread

Worf posted:

Females are just males made out of iron

Fem ales are just ales in pastel pink bottles

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

someone's not escaping the cycle of death and rebirth this time round :rolleyes:

Turn on your monitor

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Reincarnation is a dumbass idea to believe in with literally zero evidence anyway. If you’re gona just believe whatever then why not choose something cheery instead of literally the most depressing, oppressive thing the social architects of India could think of 2500 years ago

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Reincarnation is a dumbass idea to believe in with no evidence anyway. If you’re gona just believe whatever then why not choose something cheery instead of literally the most depressing thing the social architects of India could think of 2500 years ago

You seem pretty motivated by the concept. Why?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I lost a lot of years to that there vipassana cult that I wish I hadn’t

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
And then to Theravada Buddhism in general. Complete, miserable waste of time and it’s depressing to see other people fall for it. But I guess it’s something I got to accept coz it just ain’t worth arguing with people who have to find out for themselves

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Haters gonna hate. Seriously though as long as you're not acting like an rear end in a top hat just accept that some people will never like you. It's so freeing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

And then to Theravada Buddhism in general. Complete, miserable waste of time and it’s depressing to see other people fall for it. But I guess it’s something I got to accept coz it just ain’t worth arguing with people who have to find out for themselves

Thank you

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I hope there's no reincarnation, I don't want to get born into a lovely family or get born as an ant & get magnifying-glassed to death or something

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I think the idea that anything bad that happens to anyone is just their karma that they deserved is a horrible way to view the world that only serves to prop up existing power structures, not to mention completely impossible to prove and so a view handed to people 100% on the authority of ancient patriarchs and nothing else

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Buddhism seems cool to the extent it presents an alternative to endless unsustainable consumption as a model for happiness. I don't know about reincarnation or hungry ghosts or whatever, but desire and appetite do lead to despair.

I feel like there's some kind of wisdom there.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
All religions have to make it weird, they can't help themselves.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I personally don't buy into karma or Buddhism in general even though I've spent a decent amount of time around monks at various wats in Thailand and Cambodia.

I do think there's some decent self help psychology to be found in it though.

IMO an individual's choice of religious practice or belief system comes down to the question of whether one is seeking spiritual "truth" or "comfort".

Sheer belief is a terrible pathway to truth and can lead to terrible outcomes for dissenters but it's hard to argue against someone who just wants to find comfort in their own life and doesn't want to hurt others.

As for me, I just shitpost and hope for the best in this life.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the desire to not want to hurt others is inherently selfish

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i was kidding i don't really want to do this or any permutation of this again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GolfHole posted: