Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whomst!?
Hatters
Peacocks
Lancers
Hilltoppers
View Results

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The seeds have been announced and I'm rolling out my 11th annual March Madness Bracket Challenge. This year, the big deal is that there is a women's bracketball contest, too!

Entry: Free!

1st prize for each bracket: One of these $25 Amazon gift cards I found while cleaning out my kitchen. Now when a heavily-accented man calls to tell you he is from the IRS and you will go to jail, you can be ready!

To enter, either:
A. Sign up here and fill out an online bracket
https://fantasy.espn.com/tc/sharer?...7d-59bcb202cead

Password: rentsdue

B. Fill out this bracket by hand and post it in here.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/ncaa-tournament/bracket/printable-men/

While I'm typing this out, I'm watching Selection Sunday to find the best team names. Who will be this year's Saint Peter's Peacocks?

It could be the 16th-seeded Stetson Hatters

Or will it be the Longwood Lancers?

Perhaps the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers won't need to cut off their toes to fit the glass slipper. What the gently caress is this thing:

I swear to God there is a team in this tournament named McCheese

Cats are marrying dogs out here, folks.

Deadline is tipoff for the Thursday games (not the Tuesday & Wednesday play-in games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Women's Bracketball Link
https://fantasy.espn.com/tc/sharer?...7d-59bcb202cead

Password: rentsdue

or

Printable Bracket
https://www.cbssports.com/womens-college-basketball/ncaa-tournament/bracket/printable-women/

Who will make it far enough to get their corpses feasted upon by South Carolina and/or Caitlin Clark?

Will it be Stanford?

Or will it be the Kent State, um, Golden Flashes

There is apparently a second team named the Lancers. Will the women of Cal Baptist and the men of Longwood make this a double Lancer title?

Fairfield has made it to their fifth NCAA tournament. While the men's team is called the Stags (a male deer), the women's team is called

Well, they're also called the Stags.

Deadline is tipoff on Thursday (not the first-four games on Tuesday and Wednesday). All hail Queen Caitlin, Iowa is the only basketball I've watched all year.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 20, 2024

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Let's go

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rooting for CT, AZ, Purdue, and ASU if they made it

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
This is my year goddamnit! (Not likely)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The women's bracketball challenge is out. Check the second post of this thread for the deets

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I don't know anything about sport so have a bracket completely based on how much I liked (or even hated) a mascot to victory.

Women's coming soon.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Grey Cat posted:

I don't know anything about sport so have a bracket completely based on how much I liked (or even hated) a mascot to victory.

Women's coming soon.

Personally I'm hoping for a Mayor McNeese vs. WKU whose mascot looks like a purple Grimace showdown.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
sad we don't get Cream Abdul Jabaar and Indiana State

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m in. Let’s loving go

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Rocky top bitch

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have submitted my bracket! Go AZ and Purdue!!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Bump I'll sticky

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Just a heads up, if you sign in with ESPN, it will display your real life name. Just go to the ESPN profile and change your name to something else if you don't want online people to have access to that.

Go UCONN! Otherwise we will feel a similar feeling of ennui as Ennui Husky does.

Yes, that was their real logo for a bit.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 20, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ground floor. Go Horns!

(The Horns will not go anywhere in the Men's tournament. They will probably go Sweet 16 or higher in the Women's.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Theres something wrong with your poll op

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Bump I'll sticky

Thanks!

Tournament officially starts tomorrow, get your entries in!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I made a Men's bracket but I still gotta make a Women's one. And a lot more Men's ones.

Grey Cat posted:

Women's coming soon.

Peacocks are cool, why you gotta hate on peacock birds?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
5 years ago some guy fell ill and got hopped up on cold meds. He made a bracket, fell asleep, and didn't remember making the bracket at all... until a few days later when the NCAA called.

He had gotten all 48 games of the first two rounds right

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39752102/march-madness-perfect-bracket-gregg-nigl-ncaa-history

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Drunk Nerds posted:

5 years ago some guy fell ill and got hopped up on cold meds. He made a bracket, fell asleep, and didn't remember making the bracket at all... until a few days later when the NCAA called.

He had gotten all 48 games of the first two rounds right

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39752102/march-madness-perfect-bracket-gregg-nigl-ncaa-history

The odds of getting a perfect bracket are really, really astoundingly loving small. Depending on how predictably the games go based on poo poo like team stats and season records, they can range anywhere from about one in 120 billion to one in 9.2 quintillion. This is why so many people win bracket contests by just picking teams at random; there are so many random unpredictable factors that go into March Madness games that just looking at stats on paper is almost worthless.

Someone did the math in one of the SAS threads last year and you have a better chance of correctly guessing a working 16-digit debit card number AND the card's 3-digit security code out of thin air (assuming you somehow already know the exp date and PIN), using that card number to buy one Powerball ticket, and winning the Powerball jackpot with that ticket than you have of getting a perfect March Madness bracket.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

The odds of getting a perfect bracket are really, really astoundingly loving small. Depending on how predictably the games go based on poo poo like team stats and season records, they can range anywhere from about one in 120 billion to one in 9.2 quintillion. This is why so many people win bracket contests by just picking teams at random; there are so many random unpredictable factors that go into March Madness games that just looking at stats on paper is almost worthless.

Someone did the math in one of the SAS threads last year and you have a better chance of correctly guessing a working 16-digit debit card number AND the card's 3-digit security code out of thin air (assuming you somehow already know the exp date and PIN), using that card number to buy one Powerball ticket, and winning the Powerball jackpot with that ticket than you have of getting a perfect March Madness bracket.

Tomorrow, if I have a free minute, I'm going to figure out the odds of a chalk bracket going perfect based on the % of times each seed has been upset.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

So you're saying there's a chance.

*Rubs hands

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

redshirt posted:

So you're saying there's a chance.

*Rubs hands

It's not impossible, just improbable :)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
For transparency: I'm creating multiple entries for my account right now. This is to enter all the hand-submitted brackets, like Grey Cat's. Each one will have the submitter's name on it, even though it may be attributed to my main account. Please don't submit a second bracket during this period, it will be deleted.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Drunk Nerds posted:

For transparency: I'm creating multiple entries for my account right now. This is to enter all the hand-submitted brackets, like Grey Cat's. Each one will have the submitter's name on it, even though it may be attributed to my main account. Please don't submit a second bracket during this period, it will be deleted.

Does that mean I should hold off on the women's bracket?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Grey Cat posted:

Does that mean I should hold off on the women's bracket?

No, post it as soon as you can please. I phrased that poorly, I meant don't enter the same contest twice.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I used to work in college sports and lost my natty champ in the first round more often than I picked the champ right, so please take all your betting advice from me tia

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Games are on!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i submitted my bracket in this group, just for fun. i dont want a prize in the OP, so if i win it, please give to the second place or something lol

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I might have made a couple mistakes I tried to get it in quick before games started. If I goofed just put me down for a random team.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 21, 2024

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I joined the Women’s bracket as well :hai:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I joined the Women’s bracket as well :hai:

Same. This is Maine's year!!!!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Grey Cat posted:

I know nothing about basketball and I won our office March Madness pool one year by picking teams based on whether I had heard of them or not. Kentucky? OK I've heard of Kentucky. Gonzaga? Where the gently caress is Gonzaga? Out!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Presto posted:

I know nothing about basketball and I won our office March Madness pool one year by picking teams based on whether I had heard of them or not. Kentucky? OK I've heard of Kentucky. Gonzaga? Where the gently caress is Gonzaga? Out!

My son's strategy of auto picking any team with a weird name just helped him nail that Duquesne upset

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sittin' pretty in 1st place (tied with many others, but it counts!)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp my first two teams lost (I loving knew BYU/Duquesne was gonna be a coin-toss), but I had them both losing in the next round anyway.

I need a Morehead State upset so bad.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 21, 2024

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah other than Duquesne I’m looking good so far if these scores hold.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
3 for 3 here, but so is my son who just picks randomly so not gonna victory lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Was my women's not entered in time?
Also I am not dead last so I count that as a win so far.

Presto posted:

I know Gonzaga just because I lived like an hour from them at one point, but as far as hearing about 99% of the teams, nope.
I also didn't vote for them because I was sick of the fact that a dozen teams have pitbulls for mascots.