Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

It's interesting to step back and see how execs in the 90s saw stuff like that or Ren & Stimpy and just concluded "kids like GROSS poo poo" instead of thinking the shows themselves employed weird and gross things in a way that was fun.

Also that dumb 2000s phase where all kids media went "cartoons?! Hah, Live Action is where it's at, baby!"

And then Adventure Time ate their lunch.

Adventure Time cured my depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm not sure Ren & Stimpy was the first to realise kids love gross poo poo (the previous decade had stuff like Madballs and Garbage Pail Kids), but as a kid who was largely fine with the oeey-gooey poo poo, R&S definitely took a turn that felt subversive.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I loved the hosed up psychological poo poo in r&s. Like when Ren managed Stimpy's fan club and he ended up staring at his hands contemplating murdering Stimpy.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mh9ZP8FLDk

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Was Weinerville a gross out show? I remember it being a very tame puppet show with public domain cartoons and a couple of variety acts.

"Weinerville" was loud and silly, but they didn't do gross-out stuff. (Cleaning those little puppet sets would've been such a pain in the rear end.) In related news, I discovered that Marc Weiner was born in 1952 and worked with Robin Williams

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I loved the hosed up psychological poo poo in r&s. Like when Ren managed Stimpy's fan club and he ended up staring at his hands contemplating murdering Stimpy.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mh9ZP8FLDk

cant find the whole clip, but that one where ren's evil half split off and threw all of stimpy's favorite things into a vat of acid while stimpy cried and watched helplessly through the porthole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1hZQclg8e0

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Junk posted:

cant find the whole clip, but that one where ren's evil half split off and threw all of stimpy's favorite things into a vat of acid while stimpy cried and watched helplessly through the porthole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1hZQclg8e0

He did it dressed as a nazi, too, with giant "R" banners hung up around the house instead of swastikas.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I loved the hosed up psychological poo poo in r&s.

:agreed: Ren hitting himself in the head with a hammer to break that brainwashing helmet during the Happy Happy Joy Joy song is etched onto my brain forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOkdccLCmJk

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Space Madness will haunt me to my death I swear.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

naem posted:

Adventure Time cured my depression

Regular Show and Adventure Time were the last cartoons me and my kids watched together.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The kid from Different Strokes and Salute Your Shorts was in a goofy hair metal band with the kid from the Steve Vai video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpHOCBSYaP0

YeahTubaMike posted:

:agreed: Ren hitting himself in the head with a hammer to break that brainwashing helmet during the Happy Happy Joy Joy song is etched onto my brain forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOkdccLCmJk

I was 18 years old when the series debuted. I was hungover from the night before and thought I was seeing and hearing things when I caught this at 11am on a Sunday. Been a fan ever since.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The one that bugged me for years and made me worry about my teeth was the one where Ren has a bad tooth. The little wiggling nerves stayed burned into my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os9zW1Uu-hc

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol that episode sold me on oral hygiene as a child

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Dixville posted:

"HAWWWMMM!"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Dixville posted:

Yeah that's my favorite Ren pathos moment. The fan club with 'theeeese hands' is intense but the length and discomfort of the Space Madness speech is just, real uncomfortable.

'We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're RIDING!'

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/YDSYBrS16KY?si=I5Yt4wY7NnY5rbWe

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pencilhands posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNICK#2002%962004:_SNICK_On-Air_Dare

Starting in September 2002, SNICK featured a series of On-Air Dare segments featuring members of the All That cast. All but three members of the cast would pull a lever to determine the night's "dare", which one of the three would have to do. The three cast members from All That in each segment would be placed in a glass cylinder and one would be randomly chosen to participate in a dare. If chosen, two security guards enter and grab the cast member (as if he or she was arrested) so they don't escape. This appears to have been based on Fear Factor.

Haha fear factor for kids, such a goofy idea, what silly challenges did they have, like holding a spider or someth-

https://nickstory.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:VintageKid/SNICK_On_Air_Dares

January 18, 2003 Drink a truck driver's bathwater. Chelsea Brummet

January 25, 2003 Get covered in peanut butter and licked by dogs. Bryan Hearne

October 18, 2003 Drink a gallon of human sweat. Jamie Lynn Spears

November 8, 2003 Eat a thousand toe nails. Giovonnie Samuels

February 7, 2004 Shave the leg of their school principal. Shane Lyons

(No date listed) Compete to shave off the most armpit hair from hockey players. Jack DeSena and Emma Roberts

January 15, 2005 Eat the most earwax tacos. Jamie Lynn Spears and Jack DeSena

:yikes:

Even in the 1990s I liked Nick at Night better.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Totally thought this was a real Nick show for a few seconds, like it was gonna be a compilation of actual weird stuff from the shows

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Nick-or-treat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NblnYZ6oWlw

:dafuq:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm currently reading Jennette McCurdy's book and I feel like some of these parents need to be investigated as well.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I saw a link on fb of some video of Amanda Bynes doing something gross with some guy's feet on television I didn't watch it cause seriously wtf but yeah that producer guy messed her up real bad, pretty obvious in retrospect.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

teen witch posted:

Yeah the whole situation is grim, and not just Schneider!

We’ve got another “why did you write a letter of support for a creep, actor or actress?” . Some of the names are a loving bummer.

... Did the guy really write a song about diddling kids?

There's no faster way...

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK55s9_aQhs

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

lmao holy poo poo

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Tarkus posted:

The one that bugged me for years and made me worry about my teeth was the one where Ren has a bad tooth. The little wiggling nerves stayed burned into my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os9zW1Uu-hc

There's an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants where Squidward is moving a couch, and it lands on his toenail and tears it out and my oldest kid still brings it up multiple times a year it for sure had an impact on them.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
Courage the Cowardly Dog wasn't a gross-out type, but there was definitely some creepers going on

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Not sure if there's a separate thread for it but I've watched the first three episodes of Quiet on Set and that was certainly a thing.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Not sure if there's a separate thread for it but I've watched the first three episodes of Quiet on Set and that was certainly a thing.

this is the quiet on set thread, op

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

pickle boy was into boy pickles

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Guess who's suing for defamation?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lol

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
what I still don't understand is how this stuff got to the airwaves. Don't studios and TV channels have some kind of standards and practices that has a final say on if stuff is too raunchy or weird for a kid's tv show?

I mean I know Dan Schneider was basically printing money for Nick for years, but it's not like he was walking the finished video tape right up to the broadcast booth and telling them to play it, right?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rad-daddio posted:

what I still don't understand is how this stuff got to the airwaves. Don't studios and TV channels have some kind of standards and practices that has a final say on if stuff is too raunchy or weird for a kid's tv show?

I mean I know Dan Schneider was basically printing money for Nick for years, but it's not like he was walking the finished video tape right up to the broadcast booth and telling them to play it, right?

"It's Entertainment!" is likely the excuse here, or that they never actually accuse him, just preset stories.

This doc will likely do more damage. Everyone has been talking about Dan for 20 years and now he sues? It sounds like his lawyers found a way out of this or will just tie the production company up in court so they settle. So now there's a legal case where Dan comes out as the winner and this will be brought up each and every time there are allegations brought up.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Rad-daddio posted:

plausible deniability

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s also about how pickle boy from all that molested drake from drake and Josh and had a pen pal relationship with John Wayne Gacy which he did not keep secret and no adult considered a red flag

the john wayne gacy connection is mind-blowing

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah that's my favorite Ren pathos moment. The fan club with 'theeeese hands' is intense but the length and discomfort of the Space Madness speech is just, real uncomfortable.

'We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're RIDING!'

I think I was like 5-6 at the time and it was kind of viscerally upsetting to my child brain in a way I couldn't explain.

A lot of Ren and Stimpy felt really mean spirited. For every Log commercial or Powdered Toast Man, there was Ren doing some genuinely hosed up poo poo.

Too bad about John K using his status to groom teens. Dude was a cartoon legend, and turned out to be awful. :smith:

On the bright side, I've seen a lot of fans making fan art reclaiming the characters. :unsmith:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Rad-daddio posted:

TV was getting weird and everyone was making money and all the people who wanted to censor it were like the SNL church lady so they were easy to dismiss. I remember Nick's foot era and I thought it was adults trying to relate to me with the most absolutely G rated grossout humor possible.

I would have definitely zoned out if someone was like "Nickelodeon is full of CHILD FOOT FETISHESTS!" when some orange claymation foot popped up on the screen.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Drake and Josh showed up on Hulu last month and nickelodeon properties never show up there so there was some exec who just saw drake bell blow up on google trends and did no further research before dropping a bunch in licensing

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Drake and Josh showed up on Hulu last month and nickelodeon properties never show up there so there was some exec who just saw drake bell blow up on google trends and did no further research before dropping a bunch in licensing

I sadly know about these sort of politics.

That poo poo should all be on paramount+. I'll bet they released a catalog to content providers and everything not black and white was like a million bazillion dollars with hosting restrictions and DRM requirements except Drake and Josh.

Either that or paramount is offering up bundles of streaming content and it's included with every single one of them as part of "X seasons of popular 16:9 high def content for teenage demographics.

56 episodes of this:

quote:

The series premiere was watched by 3.2 million viewers,[18] Nickelodeon's highest-rated series premiere in nearly 10 years.[19] As of 2006, Drake & Josh ranked consistently among the 10 most-watched cable shows of the week,[11] and was the top-rated live-action series among children aged 2 to 11 years old.[19] It averaged three million viewers at the time.[16] It proved to be popular with younger viewers.[20] According to Schneider, Drake & Josh had its highest ratings in its final season.[17]

Looks real good on paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Yeah, package deals have been huge in the record biz/radio/syndicated TV for years so no surprise that the streaming world with its pile-up of providers and scattered sub numbers would follow suit. "Want to have the rights to Great Property X for a while? You have to take this B-List Stuff too."